Windows Mobile 6.1 on a Q9M? Yes, it can be done now!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by Miata492, Sep 4, 2008.

1. just to clarify before I possibly make the leap, the 9m will show up as a 9c correct?
  2. sherri

sherri Active Member

Selling out, huh, Tony???
  3. nope not yet....phone is almost at a year with zero problems except for the end call button not working at times. its weird having a phone actually work unlike my treo.
  4. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

that is correct
  5. manbat

manbat Active Member

Copilot is Working Now

=====================
    I got it working....The CAB that auto restores from the SDHC Card was corrupted. Uninstalled, then stopped auto restore, re-installed from another CAB I had stored on my computer. Works great now. Like this WM 6.1 flash a whole lot better now!!!

6. manbat

manbat Active Member

Turns a Q9m into a Q9c

==========================================
    When you do the Flash...your Q9m is turned into a Q9c. When you look at the phone specs it now says "Q9c". My computer still identifies it as a Q9m and believe that it still has the same device ID and that identifies it as a Q9m to Verizon. You will loose the Red Media Wheel (Hated it) the media button now links to a simple interface to use the media options (Saved a lot of memory in windows). I pondered it for a while before "doing it" Happy that I did now. Was fast and easy. Try it...you will like it!!
  7. TimeHunter

TimeHunter New Member

There was someplace I changed that after I first upgraded my Q9m, where it said Q9c and I could edit it, but I cannot for the life of me find it now.

Its as frustrating for me to not remember where I did that at as I am sure it is for you to hear me say I remember doing so, but cannot remember where.

=====

And so I gave it one more try and finally found what I edited, the "My Bluetooth name" in Bluetooth Manager | Settings. Probably won't mean darn it for anything else though. So now I go totally "tilting at windmills" and decide to search the registry, and there are several places there.

• HKLM|Ident|OrigName
    • HKLM|Security|Internet Explorer|User Agent|Custom
    • HKLM|Software|Microsoft|ActiveSync|DeviceModel
    • HKLM|Software|Microsoft|ActiveSync|OEM Links|Motorola|url
    • HKLM|Software|Motorola|MMS|SP|UserAgent|UAProfile
    • HKLM|Software|Motorola|MMS|SP|UserAgent|UserAgent
    Now for the merry registry editing, after a backup, of course.

Edited, rebooted, and everything appears dokey!:thumbup:
  8. Ted Striker

Ted Striker New Member

I have done the upgrade to WM6.1 on Saturday 13,2008... all has been working great until about 2 hours ago.

I did not do the *228
    About 2 hours ago, my wife tried calling and got fast busy signal.

When she got home she told me this ao I tried calling her and I got fast busy signal..

I tried calling other people....the samething....

I then did *228 and it worked again... now it's doing it again. I'm pondering calling verizon but .....

Anyone here having the same issues?

Also, I am able to send and recieve text
  9. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

i am not having any issues like that. i have master reset my Q9m a few times since the upgrade and re-provisioned a few times with the *228 with no issues.
  10. shootz's Q

shootz's Q New Member

I'm having the same issue when calling Tedstriker. However, I was able to call Luciano's and order my chicken fettuccini alfredo.
  11. Ted Striker

Ted Striker New Member

Thanks for the quick response... I am able to call a few of my contacts but no voicemail, my wife(whoo hoo) JK.. or my friend who went to 6.1 also..

maybe it's a glitch on verizon's end??? or i'm paranoid, "they are on to me"
  12. Ted Striker

Ted Striker New Member

yeah.... guess I was just paranoid, able to call again, appears to be in and out so it has to be on verizon's end......

thanks again
  13. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

dont be paranoid! they are probably reading these threads as we are helping them beta test this OS!!! LOL! your issue must have been on their end. i have even switched back and forth online between my BB 8830 (which is running a beta OS also) and my Q9m since I have done the upgrade and there are no issues doing that.
  14. JuryDuty

JuryDuty New Member

I've still not had any issues, working great!

I am on PagePlus prepaid wireless though and not Verizon anymore. Using my Q with a Wifi card for about $10/month.

But everything is still working 100% for me.
  15. manbat

manbat Active Member

Everythings working great....

Everythings working great....I have only had two issue and I've seen that others have had one of them.. TCPMP and the Skunkworks bundle. Only works when installed to device for me. Has anyone gotten the combo working from the SD card? I also run Orchid Shortcut...had to do a free upgrade to the next version before it was 100% functional with WM 6.1 Flash. I have a "HEAVY" App load on my Q9m and the WM 6.1 seems to run smoother and quicker with all the Apps I had installed before...plus a few more! All my custom Folder icons are working. Last step...Install all my favorite Homescreens. Don't really like the "Sliding Panels" Have to research customizing them when I have more time. It's been tough at work with the heavy load of people having gone or in the process of going to Houston and Galveston. Today is my first day off in 15 days.
  16. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

OK, after a full week or 2 now with 6.1 on my Q9m, here are some the issues/strange things I have found:

* emails dont delete from server (i need to try imap settings), and yes I have the correct setting checked

* when going into the programming menu (##073887* SEND, sec code 000000) the GPS settings gives you "modifying GPS setting disabled". you used to be able to see/change settings in there

* for the life of me, i cannot find where to turn the agps settings from "911 only" to "location on". it was easily accessible previously on 6.0

* has anyone noticed that when closing a text message in the threaded texting that the very bottom command (greyed out) says "Copy to SIM" - must be in there from the Q9h GSM version??? strange...

* i cannot edit my BT serial port settings to get my BT GPS puck setup on a serial port so therefore my BT GPS still does not work with Live Search or google maps. I was able to setup a serial port in 6.0 but it didnt work anyways! I thought I saw someone post somewhere that they are now able to use their BT GPS on the Q9m WM 6.1 with Live and Google.

I am going to post this over in the Q9c thread also to see if anyone has any fixes, etc.
  17. manbat

manbat Active Member

I can use BT Gps....

=================================================
    1. Never noticed e-mails......looked now...they don't delete (Doesn't bother me I like them left...I delete from computer.
    2. GPS on Settings/Phone Settings/Network it's there.
    3. Bluetooth Port 1 only...worked that way before the upgrade and still does after on mine....Program called port splitter alows you to select others from program. Mine works with Google Maps, Live Search, Copilot Live 6, and a testing program called GPS TEST.
    4. Copy to SIM is probably there for the future Napoleon...Is CDMA with ability to take a SIM card for GSM also, World Phone.
    5. Don't know about Programming menu....I'll look later.

Hope this helped you.
  18. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

thanks for the info. a hard reset cured my "location on" issue. i need to find port splitter and try that out. thanks!
  19. manbat

manbat Active Member

20. SgtTurtle

SgtTurtle New Member