Windows Mobile 6.1 on a Q9M? Yes, it can be done now!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by Miata492, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I have had my phone for 9 months with no issues....longest ever for me with a phone. Afraid to try it.
  2. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

Please disregard - the *228 update doesn't appear to cause a problem after all..

IMPORTANT:
    For Q9m users, IF you use the Q9c rom, DO NOT do a *228,11 update afterwards.

At least one Q9m user that installed the wm6.1 intended for the Q9c, and then attempted the *228 update, afterwards his DATA connection was not working - probably because the Verizon tower got confused because his EIN was for a Q9m, but the phone reported to the tower that is was a Q9c.

Read the thread in the Q9c forum for more info.

(Note: I have updated my Q9m with no problems, but I haven't done a *228 yet, and now I don't think I will).
  3. tarigand

tarigand New Member

4. wheeliest

wheeliest New Member

Did this upgrade to my Q9m that is flashed to cricket, The formatting did not delete my PRL

installed the 32bit usb driver and RSD lite

Battery had one bar and I simply turned the phone off, plugged in the usb cable and held the *A Button and Return button and started it up after the charge screen appeared from being connected to the computer, RSD lite recognized phone and I located the VZW upgrade file on desktop and hit start...

15 minutes later all said and done and its def a huge difference, speed is a little better i think and slider home screen is just awesome.

I had to redo the WAP and MMS settings for cricket though...

oh yeah Built-in Threaded Text Kicks Ass, Dont gotta run Xtreme Text any more!
  5. crashdau

crashdau Member

I did a *22899 about 15 mintues after update last night and have not had any data connection issues. :frown:
  6. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

hmm - the user having connection issues just reverted BACK to 6.0 and he still has them - so maybe the *228 is a red herring ...

Anyways - Good to know that it IS possible to go back to 6.0. If you do the Motorola update on a Q9m (before going to 6.1) it leaves a 6.0 ROM .sbf file in a folder ... that can be used to go back to 6.0 if you need to ...

NOW we need to get the GPS working on this Q9m/Q9c hybrid!!!
  7. vermsky

vermsky New Member

8. ssmith

ssmith New Member

to go or not to go

Well...*228 is not ruled out as the cause.

vzw put another number on the q9m and it did the same thing? I put my number on a Q and all was ok? But when we put his number back on the Q it did the login error??? After a reboot the login error went away? Q9m didn't work with either number or multiple reboots? I think the *228 can't properly write to the q9m to update/correct this issue. Maybe permissions? Not sure but I have a brick. Oh something else! I get incoming not outgoing data. MMS is data and I can receive them. Also my active sync comes in not out??

do I dare Verizon Wireless XV6900 w/ andriod hack... or Q9c or wait for the Q9h global edition?

Thank You all for your help.:foot:
  9. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

Sounds like they need to reprovision your account ....

I just did a *228 (1) a little bit ago and my internet is still working fine.

I'm trying to see if I can get VZNavigator to work - VZNav is telling me to call *611 and have it activated still - although I did that once. I'm thinking that the Verizon computers can't really activate in on the Q9m though ....

But at any rate, *228,1 didn't hose my phone (yet)
  10. macadeezy

macadeezy New Member

What OS is everyone using for the update? This FAIL message is so frustrating. I did a master reset for nothing all my stuff is gone. Im using XP SP3.
  11. crashdau

crashdau Member

XP SP3 here...
  12. macadeezy

macadeezy New Member

Did your install work the first time with no problem? Maybe im doing something wrong. Where do I put the extra .dll file that came with the download? I installed it into prgm files/motorola
  13. crashdau

crashdau Member

Yes. I installed the 32 bit drivers mentioned, RSD 4.2, then unzipped the ini and dll from the zip file. Renamed the same files in the Moto directory (in case I needed to reuse them) then copied the unzipped version to that directory. Then unzipped the rom file.

Next, I shutdown the phone. While holding the * and the Return Key (arrow points down and to the left) I pressed the power button and the phone went into bootlader mode.

Started up RSD and navigated to the directory where I unzipped the rom.

Connected the phone and clicked the start button. Took all told about 10 - 12 minutes.

Had a scare cause it told me that I had to manually reboot the phone and I did that but then it took a little longer to come off the WM6.1 screen after the boot up. But, it was all good.
  14. macadeezy

macadeezy New Member

Ok I think I might see what the problem is. Im installing the files into the Motorola file on my PC. Should I be installing these on my actual device instead?
  15. crashdau

crashdau Member

No. This is all PC installs. Once installed, then run them. Look again at Miata492's instructions, there spot on.
  16. macadeezy

macadeezy New Member

I put the pst.dll file and the PST Configuration Settings file out of the Test Command Patch folder into the RSD Lite folder. Restarted about 5 different times now, plugged in device RSD shows it connected browsed to the rom, start, phone restarts into flash mode about 20-30secs later FAIL message appears.
  17. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

I did *228, 1 right after the upgrade and have even done *228, 2 twice since the upgrade and have had no issues with connectivity.
  18. crashdau

crashdau Member

Did you turn the phone off and then while holding the * and return key (above the caps keys) press and hold the power button? This should put it into bootloader mode. then plug in usb cable.
  19. don_blaze34

don_blaze34 New Member

i think i'll give this a go...just waiting on my phone to finish charging..heeeeeeey i'm an enthusiast now! sorry, got excited...
  20. macadeezy

macadeezy New Member

Holding the star and Return key while powering up WM6.1 Update success. Thank you so much for your time and patience.