Windows Media Player / 192Kbps

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by sbearden1, Dec 9, 2008.

1. sbearden1

sbearden1 New Member

Windows Media Player / 192Kbps

I have tried the following with both the original Q9h (Black) and the current Q9h (Silver) and both yield the exact same results.

I have set the audio conversion setting in Windows Media Player (WMP version = 11, OS = Vista Ultimate SP1) to “Maximum Quality” (192Kbps) for Syncs, however after syncing to my phone all the music is always at 128Kbps, not 192Kbps.

I have always thought it was a Windows Media Player/Windows Mobile issue but recently I was evaluating another Windows Mobile 6.1 Smartphone (HTC Fuze) and using the same PC, the songs WERE synced to the Fuze at 192Kbps, which tells me it is a Motorola Q issue.

Does anyone know why this is happening?... or more importantly, how to get 192Kbps music down to my Motorola Q during syncing??

Thank you!!

UPDATE:
    If it helps, here are two screen shots. One is of the setting for the Moto Q 9h and the other is of the setting for my 8GB Storage Card that is in the phone:

Attached Files:

• SC1.jpg
      SC1.jpg
      File size:
      37.4 KB
      Views:
    • SC2.jpg
      SC2.jpg
      File size:
      37.3 KB
      Views:
  2. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

hmm.. I wonder if there's a registry entry in the Q that over rides the settings in WMP.
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Are you syncing via usb to Q within WMP11 sync tab?
  4. sbearden1

sbearden1 New Member

Not sure... I have never gotten into Registry Settings on my Q
  5. sbearden1

sbearden1 New Member

Correct; I sync using WMP11 sync tab via usb to Q. This is the exact same way I did it using the HTC Fuze which did yield 192Kbps but as I said when doing this with both Black and Silver Q9h it yields only 128Kbps.
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

That is very strange. I played around with my settings in wmp and I got it to sync to which ever quality I want, be it 64kbps or 192kpbs.

Under wmp options are the following selected:
    -convert music as required by this device
    -select maximum quality level for music (not the videos and tv options)

Just trying to cover all settings.

*let's exchanged ideas in this forum. we will have more help*
  7. sbearden1

sbearden1 New Member

Yes it is very strange.

I knew that I had those two options selected, but to be sure I checked them and yes they are selected.

Even under the slideable bar for Music "Select maximum quality level" (which is slid all the way to the right / Best Quality) it says "Uses about 82 MB per hour (192 Kbps)... but as I said, it converts the songs to 128Kbps.

As an experoment, I have tried playing the 192Kbps converted songs synced to the HTC Fuze on the Q and they do play and the Q does show them as being 192Kbps but when I try to sync to the Q, it will only do a maximum of 128Kbps).

Hmmmmm...
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

have you tried just adding the songs to the memory card manually? I have songs added manually that are over 128kbps that play fine (or it may be something specific to the Q9h)
  9. sbearden1

sbearden1 New Member

Hi... Yes I have and it will play them. To explain, I was evaluating another phone (HTC Fuze) and when I syned to the Fuze, they converted to 192Kbps. As an experiment, I manually copied the 192Kbps files to the Moto Q9h and they play perfectly.

However I do not know how to convert files down to 192Kbps without connecting some type of device that Windows Media Player can sync to... I rip all my CD's using Windows Media Audio Lossless @ 940Kbps (which is far too large to use on a phone).
  10. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Damn WMP sucks. I KNOW these songs are tagged right I synced them with WMP11.
    My phone finds none of them, POS.

Anyway I went through the registry and found nothing.

It does appear 192 is the maximum syncing bitrate in WMP.
  11. aliazing

aliazing New Member

There are dozens of software can rip your CD to 192K... iTune, Realplayer, WinAmp, MusicJukeBox, and... WMP ... all of those work without any portable device being attached. You can rip your CD to 192K first and syn them later to your Q.

But just a personal opinion, you really cannot differeciate 192K sample rate vs 128K sample rate in Moto Q, the sound quality is just ... sux ... Actaully most of us cannot differeciate the differences by using those portable MP3 players, including everything starting with i... the decoder and amplifier chips are really sux. All of those manufacturer are not serious about the sound quality, just try to amuse you only... If you are really serious about the 'Quality fo MP3 files/songs/devices' (that's sound weird to me, sorry) try something at higher grade like Sony NetMD or Sony MP3 player... and put on some quality earpiece...

Hope this help.
  12. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Just by being an mp3 there's significant quality loss.
    My gf was testing her new Onkyo surround system and she was digging the 225 watt powered subwoofer. She was playing music thru the ipod dock and I suggested some Slayer - a thrash metal band known for it's thunderous double bass drumming. It sounded kinda weak so we went thru the different surround settings, switched her ipod with mine in case I had songs at higher bit rates.. still kinda weak.
    We found some CDs of the band and played it. Huge difference..HUGE!!!
    The double bass rattled the floors and sent cats scampering.
    I've heard that a bitrate of 256 is near cd quality... might want to up it to that.
  13. aliazing

aliazing New Member

If you have a Onkyo or Bose Lifestyle 48 system or something similar to those, I think I won't bother to test the bitrate and wired my MP3. Just insert your CD and enjoy the turth of music!

MP3 formate is mainly for portable device to me. And there is not many free software can rip a song at 256 bitrate.
  14. Horacio Granero

Horacio Granero New Member

Just use CD/EX to rip with Lame, it's free and rips it at 320 bitrate. Best you can get with mp3.
  15. sbearden1

sbearden1 New Member

Forgive my ignorance on how to properly use this forum... I wanted to add a couple of screen shots and wasn't sure the best way to do it. I believe I added two screen shots to my original posting at the top.
  16. aliazing

aliazing New Member

Try to uncheck the 1st option from your screen shot...