Windows Media in WM6.1

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by indie-guy, Aug 3, 2008.

1. indie-guy

indie-guy New Member

Windows Media in WM6.1

I apologize for the double post, but my issue was getting buried in the wm6.1 thread. I'm very happy with 6.1 with one major (for me) exception. I have over 2000 songs on an 8 gig SD card, which used to play flawlessly in 6.0. Now there is major lag, both upon enterring the Windows Media library, and up to 15 seconds between songs. I've been trying to figure out the variables and here are a few clues...

-old version of Media Player was Build 17948, new one is 19214, so the player has indeed changed
    -I checked all registry entries that I could find and they are indentical in both versions
    -I tried testing without using the sliding panels to see if somehow that was causing the delay, but same result.
    -could the problem be related to the SD card? Are there settings that relate to to card storage that could affect the speed? Is there a system-wide cache setting that could be affecting things?
    -could it be a hardware problem? I installed 6.1 on a replacement Q9H, so it's possible that this unit has a hardware defect.
    -one last clue...the player is completely responsive when I play individual songs from the library, but the lag comes whenever I try to "play all." This would again point to some kind of memory or cache problem. It just can't handle it the way old version did.

I would appreciate any ideas...registry tweaks, feedback about similar problems etc until I figure this out.
  2. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

are the songs on your card?
  3. dwboston

dwboston New Member

I'm having the same problem. When you try to "Play All", WMP is very laggy. It's fine when selecting a single artist or album, or a playlist. I have about 1500 songs on my 8GB microSDHC.

It's not a huge deal for me since I generally create an "on the fly" playlist or use an existing playlist, but it would be nice to be able to Play All once in a while.
  4. indie-guy

indie-guy New Member

Yes, the songs are on the card. Now that I see someone else with the same issue, I can relax about it being hardware. There must be a solution. Anyone have any ideas?
  5. indie-guy

indie-guy New Member

I think I may have found the solution... Pocket Player! It doesn't have the lag problem. It does take a little longer to load than WMP in 6.0, but when it plays, there is is no lag between songs. I'll be testing this out for the rest of my trial period, and will report back if it's a keeper.
  6. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I looked that over. Can someone point me to the play all button ???? I can't seem to get it do that.
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You have to switch to the ATT Default hs... its one of the sliders

Or in WMP highlight ALL MUSIC in library and press play (left soft key)
  8. endobrian

endobrian New Member

Things like this piss me off about Microsoft. Why can't they fix easy things like this? A flipping fix won't happen for another flipping year...6.2.
  9. t1328

t1328 New Member

Good point, however, keep in mind that while Apple has 1 hardware platform to support, with so far 1 carrier in AT&T, MS for a single version of Windows Mobile, has to support many different hardware platforms (look how many HTC alone has), and all of the major carriers out there. Each of the carriers, and each of the hardware vendors makes changes to the way the OS works on their phones. Testing is significantly more complex than Apple's. The same can be said of having an OS that is open to any application vs. one that is open only to 'Apple Approved' apps.
  10. brandon.roeder

brandon.roeder New Member

dude, family forum.

watch the language
  11. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

@endobrian

yes please watch your language
  12. endobrian

endobrian New Member

oops, sorry, missed that last "flipping." :embarassed:

I was not in a happy place. MS refuses to fix issues / add functionality with interim updates.
  13. t1328

t1328 New Member

Does Apple fix a lot of issues with interim releases? Not being sarcastic, I'm asking a serious question because I don't know whether they do or not and am curious.

Thanks
    T1328
  14. mexiken

mexiken New Member

LOL, nice hockey....
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Thats funny. I just did what ninjaapp said, and I get almost no lag.

I went update the library first on the card. When it was done, it had added about 500+ files.

I went to music, and hit play. It loaded up all my songs and played the first one, a 2Pac one, within about 3 secs. Did it again, and same result.

I'm not having any lag. Maybe its only from the media sliding panel ???? Cuz I removed that thing.
  16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Granted I only have a little over 200 songs on my SD card, but I am not getting any lag either from both sliding panels and wmp (directly) when I play all... I even turned on shuffle and repeat...

@mexiken
    You didn't like the sliding panel? I thought it was really cool that there was dedicated panel for wmp. It even shows album cover right on the homescreen...
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Nah. I don't use it that much. Only for like an emergency as a backup mp3 player or something. Or when theres a cool song and someone doesn't know, I go, "this is the song", ja ja.

In either case, while I dig the album cover thing, my uses with it didn't justify my giving it a whole panel. Now that I rigged WMP to launch from the music button, its a 1 push thing.

But then again, I guess having the album cover on the hs is pretty cool. Eh, maybe I'll give it a try once I get some panel stuff figured out.
  18. indie-guy

indie-guy New Member

I think the lag is directly related to the number of songs. I was able to use playlists of 500 or so songs with little or no lag, but when I "play all" with 2000+ songs, it chokes. This was never true in 6.0, so I'm convinced it's a cache issue or memory issue.
  19. dwboston

dwboston New Member

Update on this. If I create a playlist comprised of all of my music (1400 songs) and play it, there is no lag. The playlist takes a few extra seconds to load initially, but there is no lag between songs. This just confirms for me that there is a bug in the playing of "all music" in WMP in 6.1.
  20. indie-guy

indie-guy New Member

I just tried this with a playlist of all my music (all 2000+) and it locked up. So much for that solution.