Windows Live Search

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by evil247, Oct 16, 2007.

1. cheri

cheri Active Member

I used the the voice rec several time without a problem. i usually have issues so i knew to talk slowly and clearly...

did say the vr was in beta maybe it will get better.
  2. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Love It!

I love this app!

I used to use google txt all the time....because it was quick. I love this app because it's quick, visual, and i LOVE the way it seperates each result into it's own box, and then expands on details...

I didn't see the option to update on my version on my Q -- so i went to wls.live.com on my PIE, and downloaded the new version. I was SHOCKED that I can speak into it now! I said "Best Buy" and my city name -- and it came back flawlessly!! And when you speak into the search field, it not only enters the text - -but automatically searches after that....

Although, i don't see as many "choices" under the "menu" screen anymore -- but I am sure it's just rearranged...

Sweet,

Matt!
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

hmmm
    im going to have to try this again!
  4. cheri

cheri Active Member

Even with my q i sometime have issues with
    the voice rec. i say things before the tone or too fast.

I figure i just gotta slow it down lol
  5. winotree

winotree New Member

Well, yes, it does appear to be BETTER, which is nice to say, nowadays. VoiceRecog was fine...even offered me a few options (just in case the Q didn't hear correctly) and that was nice, too.

Only drawback I can see is that the program no longer
    finds residential addresses whether spoken or typed as the old one did, and Microsoft needs to realize that not everyone has GPS, yet!! This can be and is a disadvantage for someone who drives for a living.
    The updated maps from a week or two ago were a plus, offering not only better graphics but better (more up-to-date area coverage). Appreciated. Their photos still can't compete with Google's (can easily identify the roses in backyard with G, while MS is just a blurry glob...and that's just the house and garage). : )

I'm willing to wait a bit to see is this service gets any better than an already well-made, well-thought out application. (OMG! It sounds like I'm praising MS).
  6. micholkim

micholkim New Member

I like the voice activation feature and works fine when not using a bluetooth headset. Once you try using voice recognition on a bluetooth it doesn't recognize anything for me.
  7. cheri

cheri Active Member

i hadnt tried with my bt ear piece yet...my brother has the bt wireless stereo head set...i will ask him too.
  8. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Voice Recognition works great on my 6800.
  9. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Wino,

Yea, that WOULD be a huge setback (and a dumb move, to boot). However, when i went to "directions" i was able to enter a street address for a residence in with no problem. - just not from the main "search" page. No biggie.

Interesting though, when I type in XXX Street, Madison, WI 53719 - the results would say "found 53719" and use that as the result.

But, if I typed in "XX Street, Madison, WI" it found it -- and added the zip code and everything on its own...

So the moral of the story is -- it still works -- good :)

This app just quadrupled the functionality of my Q. It's sooo powerful. I can use Moto Q voice activation to open the app, then use voice to run the app... BRILLIANT!

Later,

Matt!
  10. djlactose

djlactose New Member

From what I have found it appears the speech version is still in beta and that is why the update notice was not visible in the old client.
  11. chatmaster20

chatmaster20 Member

I do want to take my comments regarding speech recognition back. I tried it last night and it did a lot better, pretty much finding what I needed.

Here is what I don't like. Like someone mentioned above, the search mostly includes businesses. I can't find residential addresses of people I used to be able to find. Traffic seems to be updated too. It covers more area now, in my city at least, but I find it a bit slow and inaccurate. It took forever to show freeways this morning. The map would appear right away, but the traffic information was not going through.
  12. GldnBear

GldnBear New Member

Voice Recognition

I have been experimenting with the voice recognition. The voice recognition seems to work well if you say 'Company Name in City, State' from the Home Screen. The Choose Location works well if you say '123 Street in City, State'. I have been unable to make it pick an address from the Contacts. Does anyone know if this is possible?
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Taking away the Residential function just sucks.....I know how to get to 7-Eleven, what I need is directions to Bill Gates house...:tounge:

OK...I did figure out the residential thing...sometimes reading is good!
  14. winotree

winotree New Member

KillerQ...gotta call you Matt the Man! for mentioning the alternative way to look up addresses...it was there all along but I must have been tired (know my eyes were) that nite.

Yeah, a little (slower) different but the same results. Like I said, I'll wait and see...and thanks again. Since I am operating QOnly, I can not boost your on-line rep, so give yourself two gold stars from me :har-har-har:

And I agree about a good app being better!!
  15. winotree

winotree New Member

TreeFrog...man, what a sense a humor you got!! When I quit larffin' I'll browse EQ some more...
  16. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

No problem man....That's what I'm here for.

Also, if you post from your Q a lot, you should but this at the end of your posts:

"-SFMQ"

It means, "Sent From My Q". I'm trying to get it to catch on, so people reading the forum will know you're posting from your Q, and understand your posting limitations... Plus it's a cool "buzz phrase" and a lot quicker than explaining yourself in your posts or typing "Sent from my Q" everytime...

Just a thing I am trying out...

Thanks, and glad I could help...

Matt!
  17. winotree

winotree New Member

Yeah...back in April I was running PFMQ Posted From My Q but changed it a coupla wks ago...maybe I'll put it back cause @ the time I was like one of a few doing it and now...whew!! Seems like now everyone is posting that way.

Don't have a PC...just me and my Q. Take care.
  18. Outaspace

Outaspace New Member

"Live" Crashing/Burning Verizon Q

Leave it to Microsoft to create a software application that is incompatible with its own operating system. The latest mobile Live Search app appears to have wonderful features and plenty of potential, but it created havoc on my Verizon Motorola Q. Like most apps running over Windows Mobile 5, Live Search does not entirely stop running when one exits out of it. There are then two mutually compounding problems: it continues to swallow battery power, and it freezes up the WM5 Task Manager, preventing Live Search from being shut down completely. Your only recourse is to reboot. And believe me, you don’t want to have the battery run out while Live Search is running. It happened to me twice and it wasn’t pretty. The phone goes completely blank without warning, and when you try to press any key the key backlight comes on dimly and absolutely nothing else will happen until you remove the battery. This process fried the 2GB mini SD card that was in my phone at the time. I tried re-installing Live Search with exactly the same result.

If Microsoft can make the thing work, it should be great. It easily configured to use my Holux M-1200 GPS receiver (COM port 1) for finding my location and providing directions. (However, it annoyingly asks repeatedly whether you want a new route from your present location as you are moving down the road. How ridiculous is that?) The voice recognition feature worked surprisingly well in the limited tests I was able to conduct without risking leaving it running so long that it would crash my phone. And for my area (DC), the business listing results that it returned appeared to be comprehensive and accurate.
  19. KOOLWATER

KOOLWATER New Member

Wow...

I haven't had these problems. Best thing to do will be to make sure you are running the most current version.

Also, if it bothers you, you can exit the program from the main menu in Live Search (its right underneath "SMS to a friend") when you are done using.
  20. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

@Outaspace

please watch your text size
    just because you are from outaspace doesnt mean the text has to be read from outaspace:tounge: