Windows Live/GoogleMaps "orientation" question

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by blaidan, Dec 12, 2007.

1. blaidan

blaidan New Member

Windows Live/GoogleMaps "orientation" question

Is there a way to setup Windows Live or GoogleMaps (or both) so that the orientation of the screen is always facing up (forward or North)?

For example, when I was using Windows Live yesterday, I was traveling southbound. The GPS image of my location on the screen showed me traveling southbound as in moving down. So, when I am holding my phone the image moves downward, or toward me. This is a little disorienting since I am driving forward but the image on the phone screen is traveling downward.

To re-orient myself I had to turn my phone so that I was holding it upside down and thus the image was now traveling "forward". This made it easier to view based on the way the car is traveling.

I'm not sure how well I explained that but hopefully you will get the gist of what I am trying to convey. Basically, is there any way to have the screen re-orient itself so that it always appears that the image is traveling "upward" or "forward"? :wacko:
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

that would be a nice option but there is no option currently like that on these pieces of software
  3. BIGD

BIGD New Member

I don't think so , maybe sprints navi does that but google maps / windows live don't
  4. blaidan

blaidan New Member

Bah. Ok, thanks for the replies. That would be a great feature. I don't know about you guys but if I don't rotate the phone that really does get disorienting.
  5. n99hockey

yea i hear ya
    i rotate the Q too when i use it for maps and what not...kind of annoying maybe they will fix that
  6. blaidan

blaidan New Member

I was just looking over that new amAze GPS program on their site and they list this as a feature:

Rotated map during navigation:
    Even on your regular Java phone amAze can rotate the map in your driving direction. This cool feature is yet another reason to drop the traditional expensive navigation systems in favor of the FREE amAze.

I will definitely give this a try when they release their smartphone version. That feature alone is worth giving it a try. Doesn't hurt that it is free either.
  7. n99hockey

free is good
    post back when they release the smartphone version!
  8. blaidan

blaidan New Member

I was just reading in their forums. The admin originally stated that they would be releasing the windows mobile version at the end of November. They replied back on 12/5 saying that it was just taking a little longer than normal. I guess I'll just keep watching that forum.