Windows 7

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by fr4nk1yn, Jan 10, 2009.

1. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

cool. I allocate 30gb since I have the room
  2. brandon.roeder

brandon.roeder New Member

Yeah, good idea

I got a 1 tb hard drive for christmas.

I'm quad booting vista, xp, 7, and leopard on my dell

haha :D
  3. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Wow. That sound sounds cool. How did you Leopard to install? I thought it wouldn install on any other computers but MAC's? I would like to try it out. I was gonna by a MACBOOK PRO, but I went tot he store everyday for week before the last one came out and they didnt have it. So I ordered a XPS m17030 from dell instead
  4. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Thats the reason I installed Ubuntu. Beacause it looked like OSx.
  5. brandon.roeder

Its called a hackintosh..it took me almost 2 months to get it working good.

I finally got my wifi and graphics card working, just in time to get my macbook lol
  6. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Yeah, Ive heard of that program. I heard it was hard to get it working. I would have probably given up. what type of dell do you have?
  7. brandon.roeder

It's not a program, its the actual Leopard OS.

Yeah, it took me forever to get it workin right.

I have an E1505 & an E1405
  8. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

cool. I would love to have it on my XPS, but getting setup sounds like it would drive me crazy
  9. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Well jeez, I finally have some time to get in here. On the 9th I was up till 2am trying to get a key, since I was worried I wouldn't make it into the limit.

Since I had no time to sit around and wait on my laptop, I was using Logmein to poke in and try to get the download link to work. Around 4 I finally got the 64bit ISO to download. The key was the annoying part. I was in and out on my laptop checking to see if the technical error I kept getting would change. I sat down on my friend's computer, remote logged into my lappy around 10 and finished downloading the ISO and started on the key.

After a long while of refreshing an IE window with 30 tabs and quickview, I finally got one tab to display a key.

Then later today I found time to clear openSUSE off my computer and dual-boot it with my Vista boot, which was painfully easy compared to getting the stuff.

Right now I am trying to find a disc-mounting program that works in W7. Daemontools won't work...

But I love how responsive it is. The networking is so perfect - my wireless just works, something Vista never seemed to grasp lol. Next project is to get my Asus drivers and throw em on. Since W7 uses the same driver setup as Vista, the 64bit versions should work fine.

Posting via W7.
  10. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Helppppppppppppp!

Thank God , most of yall are still online.

Downloaded that 32Bit Windows 7 from the link above. Tried to use Partion Magic on one of my drives to help format it for the dual boot. THIS IS WHERE THINGS WENT HORRIBLY WRONG!

Partion Magic didnt work. Claimed it didnt recognize my drives, when I know it has before. i just reformatted a external drive last week ago and it recognized both of m drives straight of the back.

ANyway, I used Disk Manager in Vista to format 30gb of of my 2nd Internal HDD (Has Ubuntu on this drive and nothing else). So it formatted correctly or so I thought. I noticed that when i formatted the 2nd drive some small partion showed up on the 1st (Running Vista) . it was only 31mb so I didnt pay it any attention. It said somehting about "Safety" so I thought it was ok.

I then loaded the burned 32Bit Windows 7 disk into my XPS M1730. So then I told Windows to boot from the disk. Well when it finally came up it was just a Blue Vista like screen with windows 7 test bla blah in the corner. it stayed like that for 2omin. The box that should have come up and asked me if I wanted to load Windows 7 never came up. So I powered down using the power button. Then tried to restart. VISTA WONT LOAD!. it flashes the blue screen of death really fast and then restarts and does it again. I tired startup repair, no luck. Tried restoring from a System Restore, cant find image. I put in the Orig Vista, samething happens...nothing. I did notice that when it prompts me for what OS to repair the box, nothing is there. it tells me to load the drives for my system from the disc. Doesnt work. But when I clicked computer I saw my 2nd Drive with Vista , the partion of the 2nd drive that says Windows 7, the recovery Partion for the 1st drive and a small drive where my Vista drive should have been saying 33mb. The drive should be 320gb.

So apparently my system may not be totally fubarred (I HOPE). I just rebooted and it allowed me to use my ubuntu config. It gave me a message at the top while it was loading saying the 1st drive coulnt be recognized because of a bad partion.And I needed to fix it using some tool in Ubuntu.

I dont know what to do. I'm good with computers and can do alot of stuff, but this is beyond my skill level.

Can some please help me????? if you can give me step by step of what I need to do and can try to fix this after work tomorrow. (this stinking job doesnt allow outside laptops)

First my Zune deciedes to reboot and erase 80gb of music andmovies while at work today. Which is the most boring place on earth without music and now this . WTF, Man!
  11. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Should I have downloaded the 64Bit version? My Home Premium is 32Bit , if I'm not mistaken
  12. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

bumpty bump
  13. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Any help, guys????
  14. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Damn!. I'm able to use Ubuntu on the 2nd drive with no problem. So I will have to redo that too?

Damn. I figured I was gonna have to start over, but I was really trying to avoid it. Can I reinstall Vista through Ubuntu back to my 1st HDD?

The thing is Dell gives you like 6 disc you have to install when redoing your OS and it is a P.I.T.A. I love my Toshiba. it came with RAM disc images of my entire OS. Wish Dell did this. After I get it redone, is there a way i can create RAM disc images for XPS M1730?

Give me till this afternoon and ill help ya..im on my Q in w. history so i cant type a big responce.
  16. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

For starters, I have a 32bit Vista Home Premium install and the 64bit beta of W7, so that doesn't matter.

You might want to check out GParted. It's a standalone free partition editer you burn to a CD and boot from. It's Linux-based, and gives quite a lot of options.

I'm no expert but you might have corrupted one of your partitions.

As for reinstalling Vista, you gotta boot from your reinstall disc. Hope that helps. A little.

Also, here's a great video I used to find all the steps needed to dual-boot Windows 7. IDK if it'll help, but here it is:

17. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Yeah, i got an error about my partition being corrupted. I was just wanted to try and save it without having to reinstall everything. Especially since Dell has to have all those disc installed. It takes me about 3 or four days to get my laptops back up and running.
  18. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

You're gonna get that phone taken away....be careful!! :tounge:
  19. SuperJETT

SuperJETT New Member

I installed W7 on an extra laptop at work, it looks good, works so far, but looks to be just an updated Vista. I'll have to use it a bit more to see, but they really need to change the look or something so people don't think it's a renamed/rethemed Vista.

Windows ME, argh.
  20. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

was thinking the samething