Windows 7 Active Sync

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by thumperyz69, Feb 1, 2009.

1. thumperyz69

thumperyz69 New Member

Windows 7 Active Sync

:embarassed:

Ohhhh....crap...Just installed Windows 7 and everything installed well. Plugged in my Q and it said I already had 2 partnerships and I needed to break one. I thought no problem. Synched and Ouch....Blew away all of my addresses.

Beware....Did I do something wrong???
  2. dwboston

dwboston New Member

I'm running the Windows 7 beta as well and have had no problems. The contacts should be on your PC still, correct? Just open Windows Mobile Device Center and make sure that "Contacts" is checked in the content sysnc settings under "Mobile Device Settings" and re-sync.
  3. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I had that happen with FinchSync on XP.
    I was trying to recover my contacts after a retore and din't think of the setting where the phone overwrote the computer.

DOH!
  4. thumperyz69

thumperyz69 New Member

This was a fresh install on a new partition. I am tattooed.....live and learn...:embarassed:

I should have known better.....
  5. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

You can't boot into the old OS and sync your contacts back?
  6. thumperyz69

thumperyz69 New Member

the only thing I can think of was Outlook was not installed yet.....this is really bothering me...
  7. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

If outlook wasn't installed it shouldn't have tried to sync the contacts at all.
    My Contacts button is greyed out in Windows 7 the same way is has always been.

Maybe something else happened(?).
  8. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I have windows 7 installed, runs fine, even with bluetooth, never even needed to use a cable for the first partnership setup, works solid, no glitch, nothing went wrong. In fact I like it better than vista, for some reason eventhough the infrastructure of windows 7 is identical in principle to vista to maintain compatibility for all vista certified programs/drivers, it works better on windows 7 than it EVER did on vista or xp for me.
  9. thumperyz69

thumperyz69 New Member

OK....I am SOL but I am worried about the future. Is there a way I can make a manual backup of the contacts????
  10. sherri

sherri Active Member

Do you have a data plan? If so, Dashwire is great for that. No data, you can copy your pim.vol to a storage card, and then reinstall it back to you phone...If you have a SDHC with enough memory, it may be a good idea to every so often copy/update the pim.vol there...
  11. thumperyz69

thumperyz69 New Member

Yes I do have a data plan. Thanks.....
  12. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

If you have a data plan and want to rely on a thirdparty service to keep your stuff safe, that's your choice and it works for alot of people but remember that if they fail, screw up or don't get their PIM structure right, you will still lose your information. You are trusting people you don't know to hold your information, access it and have pretty much open access to your privacy, if that is something you are ok with, go for it.

You need to be more like the poor man and go a bit low tech old school. In your outlook (on the desktop you are syncing with) you can copy your contacts folder to pretty much ANYWHERE in the PST file (COPY - NOT MOVE) and that way when you sync if it fries and toasts your information, you can always recover simply by copying the content back between folders. I have personally used this method and NEVER EVER lost data.

Good luck.
  13. sherri

sherri Active Member

What if you lose the Outlook? The OP seemed to have lost all his data when he installed something...lost Outlook completely. When my pc crashed totally, and everything had to be re-installed, including Outlook, I lost the contacts that were there.

What happens if you don't have Outlook? Wouldn't coping the pim.vol to the sd card be even safer?
  14. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

The OP didn't say anything about anything being wrong on Windows side, said that the sync made everything disappear and since he didn't even have outlook installed that should have never happened, regardless. You are right, if the only copy you are trying to protect is on your device, then you are absolutely and 100% correct that PIM.vol needs to be saved to ensure nothing is lost. I was addressing only what was specifically brought up by the OP, my apologies for not being clear. BTW, how are you sherri, been a long time ;)

Edit: Just in case of the often inevitable question of where is the pim.vol file, its in the root of your device and although often not a problem, you MIGHT need to set the device to display hidden/system files to be able to see or copy it. Make sure you don't have anything open (contacts, mail, calendar...) while you are trying to access it or it might give you read/permission error. Good luck.

[​IMG]
  15. sherri

sherri Active Member

Hi, Guardian! I am here all the time, but many of the "regulars" have been at Twitter/Facebook/oe Everything Berry. Join us in the fun! How are you?
  16. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I've been here too, I just don't post as much anymore. No time, law school and the bar is taking too much of my time. I still check in though here and there. I keep an eye on the forum each day but as I said don't take the time to post everything, especially that by the time I get around to it, most have already answered it so why be redundant :)
  17. sherri

sherri Active Member

Which state are you taking the Bar Exam in? Both my husband and sister are NY attorneys...Good luck!

Take a review class specifically for the bar! It helps! (Then, go to the bar, and have a cold one!)
  18. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

California, been studying hard but with work and the world in general, its hard but not complaining, I chose the path.