Window 7 RC and Tethering.

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Horacio Granero, May 13, 2009.

1. Horacio Granero

Horacio Granero New Member

Window 7 RC and Tethering.

Has anyone gotten the new Windows 7 RC release to work with the ICS tethering? With XP Pro it's no problem for me but I just won't get the internet with Windows 7. Thanks
  2. tendomentis

tendomentis New Member

I had the same problem. You have to download the Vista USB drivers off the Motorola website, install, and reboot. It should tether properly after that.
  3. Horacio Granero

I was wondering do you have 32 or 64 bit? I'm using 64 bit W7. I thought I had installed that particular driver. I'll re-check tonight.
  4. Horacio Granero

Thanks man, that did the trick. Now I'm tethering like a mofo. Thanks again.
  5. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Sorry to bring this topic up again, but even after installing the latest USB drivers I am unable to tether in Win 7 RC. I connect to Device Center fine, I can browse the phone's contents fine, but when I engage the ICS tool on the phone, the network settings in Win7 says that it's not connected to the internet.
  6. Horacio Granero

If you haven't done so, you have to go to Motorola's web site to download their USB driver. The one readily available on the web won't do it. Even though it's named the same and is basically the same size, for some reason only Motorola's will work. I believe it asks you if you want to uninstall the driver if you already have it, say yes and uninstall it. Then re-install Motorola's driver.
  7. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I've done that....
    In the Network and Sharing Center, it shows as a Unidentified network, Access type: No Internet Access, Connections: Local Area Network 3
  8. Horacio Granero

That's what mine used to do before I removed the old driver first, then installed the uinque Motorola driver. Don't know what to tell you, sorry. Mine works great in W7 64 bit.
  9. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

You beat me to it....
    I kept trying and trying to no avail but then I installed Office 2003, let WMDC sync my calender, contacts and tasks and it started working!
    When I hit connect in Internet Sharing on the phone, Win7 actually asked what type of network I wanted it to be classified as instead of just assigning it as a Unidentified Network.
    I dunno if the Office install and sync with Outlook did the trick or if this is just a glitch in Win7 RC.