Winamp Remote - How to stream your entire home music library to your Q!!

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Jimbro727, Apr 3, 2007.

1. braxtoq

braxtoq New Member

OK, this is cool, anyone else just a bit worried that AOL now has access to all of the music on your PC that you have given Winamp Remote access to?
  2. Jimbro727

Jimbro727 New Member

huh?

--Jimmy
  3. braxtoq

braxtoq New Member

AOL owns Winamp, you have to open a port to your server to access the music stored there through Winamp Remote. No one else slightly concerned about AOL having access?
  4. Jimbro727

Jimbro727 New Member

I'm not that concerned. AOL has had their software running on millions of computers with an Internet connection for well over a decade, they could have stolen whatever data they wanted, whether it be music, or anything else. Just because this particular piece of software is designed to let us access our music doesn't mean we should be any more concerned.
  5. dmxoneiuv

dmxoneiuv New Member

this is one of the greatest things! oh man, now we know that our investment was well worth it, always something new to put our Q to use! thanks Jimbro727

oh yeah, setting it up was a breeze! highly recommended
  6. Geckotek

Geckotek New Member

Seems like an awful lot of trouble just to kill my battery.

No thanks, I'll just use my iPod.

It's odd I guess, but I have several devices that CAN play MP3s, but none are that great at it. The iPod (or any other dedicated MP3 players) is much better suited for the task at hand. I don't see the desire/fascination in streaming anything to my phones with the crappy audio and video they have to offer.
  7. Jimbro727

Jimbro727 New Member

Well that's your own choice obviously, and I agree a dedicated MP3 player is way better than the Q (I prefer Creative's line over any iPod, but that's just me).. I guess it depends on the amount of content you have and if you're the type of person who likes the idea of always having it on hand.. personally, I have over 30GB of MP3s, 70GB of movies, and 13GB of other video content (TV shows, music videos, etc.). Now granted I don't need all of that all the time, but every now and again I'll find myself in the situation where I have some time to kill, and it's nice having my entire library. I can watch an episode of south park, which I may not carry on my Creative Zen in favor of music.. Or you just downloaded a really cool song, but forgot to sync your MP3 player and want to let your friends hear it, or listen to it in the car.. it's there.

I bought an adapter to plug real headphones into my Q's headset port, and I can use that same adapter to plug into my car's radio.. and the sound quality is awesome, crystal clear.

So while I agree with you that there are other devices that can do the job BETTER, it's not always convenient to use them and they don't always have the content you want.

Similar to how I'd prefer a real phone over a cell phone, FireFox over my Q's browser, etc.
  8. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

This is clutch, I have almost 1TB of movies/music combined! Thanks Jimbro!
  9. Daenomyte

Daenomyte New Member

Still toying with this concept, but so far... seems like a pretty good idea. Even in low receiving areas, I'm getting a good stream and buffering time is short as well. Good lookin out on this one.