Will Windows Phone 7 lose the balance of Windows mobile users?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by JohnLevNelson, Oct 14, 2010.

1. JohnLevNelson

JohnLevNelson New Member

Will Windows Phone 7 lose the balance of Windows mobile users?

I am a loyal, almost two decades long, windows mobile user.

I am seriously considering however whether I should upgrade my existing WM6.5 Smartphone to a Windows Mobile 7.

One of the reasons is that Windows Mobile appears to be seriously in decline, only following up the fast developing opposition, rather than leading the market.

The other main issue I have is that I have spent many hundreds to thousands of dollars on WM applications, which, in the main, I have managed to move across to new Smartphones, with upgrades to the WM operating system.

None of those applications will work on WM7.

Accordingly I am seriously considering purchasing an Android phone, as that appears to be where all the momentum is, and I wonder whether Microsoft will ever catch up.

Has Microsoft has “missed the boat” by losing what was their core, business consumer oriented, user group on earlier WM devices, by not allowing them to transport their applications and other software to the WM7 OS? That makes it mucheasier for such a user to switch Operating Systems.
  2. Michael Melton

Michael Melton New Member

You can look at it both ways. Right now WM 6 and 6.5 are horrible to most due to fragmentation and not standard. Yeah it sucks to leave an OS behind but many of us in IT have been screaming at MS to leave Windows behind and start fresh. Apple did it with OSX and it worked. Sometimes you get to much garbage piled up and need to start anew and I think MS is doing the right thing. BUT on the otherhand you do completely alienate the pre WM7 users. The only way to fix this is to support WM 6 and 6.5 for say 1 to 2 years to ease software makers into the transition and then cut it off.
  3. meridian

meridian Member

I'm also making the jump from my WinMo 6.0 phone. I like the look of Windows 7 a lot, but there's no doubt I will miss some features from the older OS. Probably my biggest annoyance is that WP7 will not sync my task list from exchange - and doesn't even have an up to date task manager at all!

But I will enjoy the nice browsing experience, the 720p video cam, the skydrive sync with OneNote, and the Zune Passport.
  4. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Glass half full, right. ;)

Thanks for joining!
  5. meridian

meridian Member

I'm going to go with more like 90% full. :p Thanks for the welcome.
  6. AudeKhatru

AudeKhatru New Member

It's good point, and one that I asked myself a lot when the announcement was first made back in January. And, in April I hedged my bets and bought a WinMo 6.5 phone, just in case. Now, I've had a chance to try WP7, and I am all in.

There will be some problems, especially since WP7 is not really ready for business users. Of course, that is why it now appears that 6.5 will be with us a little longer, so that MS does not lose those business customers.

But, in the end, I think MS needed a big change to really get back into the game. Business users may have to stick with 6.5 for a while, but now I think that MS is ready to be a player in the consumer market again. I expect that the next year will see new functionality added to WP7 with the goal of being able to bring the business users on board, but that is just a guess on my part.
  7. sulster

sulster Active Member

WAIT!!! WHAT???!!!! Well, Holy Moly, this is pretty much a deal-breaker!! So even if I end up using a third party app for my calendar/to do (like I do now), it won't my tasks?

Bad idea jeans.
  8. meridian

meridian Member

Ummm, to be clear, this is a limitation of the software on the phone as shipped - there is no built-in task software. But this does not preclude someone else writing an app to do so.
  9. sulster

sulster Active Member

I read it to say that the Exchange won't sync tasks over...
  10. meridian

meridian Member

It won't today. And it won't ever unless someone writes a 3d part app to do it. (Or MS releases this functionality in an OS upgrade.)
    sulster likes this.
  11. Raúl Hurtado

Raúl Hurtado New Member

I wish I had read about the tasks thing 24 hours ago. I have resisted buying and iphone many years just because of this limitation. I organize my life pretty much in outlook and sync it with exchange. Now that I order my samsung focus, I find out it's not going to sync tasks. How the **** does microsoft screw up something like that. It's as they have insisted on retracing all the mistakes and limitations iphone has had from the beginning. I mean, they know how to do it, they've indoctrinated us to it use those dam tasks through outlook, and know they just through it out. Ridiculous.
  12. sulster

sulster Active Member

Yeah, I am glad they are speeding up the interface, but if they aren't going to utilize the Microsoft Outlook/Exchange features I need, I might as well switch platforms.
  13. meridian

meridian Member

Perhaps there is a silver lining. Partially prompted by this (and to be honest by the fact that WM 6 never correctly sync'd tasks either), I moved over to OneNote for my task lists. And I have to say, I'm blown away. OneNote has much, much better support for tasks than Outlook does.

And now you have found one of the killer apps for WP7, that it supports OneNote synced with SkyDrive.

(To come down to the ground for a moment, OneNote Mobile is pretty bare bones. But it's working for me.)
  14. Randall East

Randall East New Member

It is odd that they didn't include tasks. This was also an issue with my android phone I used a while back. Funny thing is, Palm supported it in webos from day 1, but missed a lot of other things. I'm sure they will fix it.
  15. sulster

sulster Active Member

I bought Outlook 2010 for OneNote (the kind we have here at work didn't have OneNote) but I have switched back to EverNote...
  16. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

I never had anything to do with Windows Mobile, but if I may interject, Michael somewhat touched on exactly what I'm seeing here. I remember when OS X first came out, I was amongst that certain breed of Mac user that alot invested in, and was overly attached to Mac OS 9. In fact, I never even gave it a chance till 10.3 came out, and hated it for some time compared to my beloved 9. I used to always say "It doesn't feel like a Mac."

Flash forward to now, I miss it alot but couldn't fathom using it in full force today. It is, as mentioned, a forced move. If I remained in OS 9 to now, I wouldn't be able to a quarter of what I do nowadays. If Windows Mobile as a system has been axed, you simply won't have a choice eventually. Depressing how much companies can really control ya when you think about it :(
  17. Brett Watters

Brett Watters New Member

Yes. The Windows Mobile users will eventually move to Windows Phone or else buy another phone.

I don't really see 'following the market' as a big issue. Companies only release truly new OSs ever few years. For the next few years, as others come out with new OSs/devices they have to compete on features. There isn't much loyalty in consumer electronics. Few care who came up with the first swipe screens, multi-touch, WiFi, etc. Every modern phone has that so folks are only going to compare features each doesn't have. WP7 will have significant advantages until iPhone does a major rewrite in a few years.

Yes. WP7 is not an upgrade to WM 6.x. It's a new OS. Lots of stuff I liked about WM doesn't work in WP7. Outlook syncing really sucks. However, you have the same issue if you move to iPhone or an Android device. You'll need to figure work-arounds and buy new software also. In the end, you will still buy the best phone for you - regardless of what your old phone could or couldn't do.

I'm not sure Microsoft missed the boat with WP. It is designed towards new users which (IMO) is a smart idea. WM has such small numbers that it is smarter to build a device which is better at drawing in new users than catering to a relatively tiny market. Most WM folks will likely move to WP anyway. WP does compete well against iPhones and Android systems -- good feel, nice customizing ability, choice of carriers, choice of devices, etc. -- and WM users are likely more aware of WP7 and thus more likely to try/research it.

If you are a WM 6.x user (like I was), you are in the same boat as everyone else. You are buying a new phone. Do compare WP7 against the iPhone or Android.
  18. sulster

sulster Active Member

Yeah, it's just a bit of a PITA to have to find a *workaround* for a Microsoft product for it to work with a Microsoft OS phone.
  19. Renverse

Renverse New Member

You people place your expectations as if you expect Microsoft to deliver a full blown OS at version 1.0. Hold your horses people, WP7 hasn't even gotten it's first update yet, and all features will come in due time since Microsoft is commited to make WP7 business-orientated as well.
  20. WinningGuy

WinningGuy New Member

Look at WP7 as something completely new. Don't look at it as a continuation of WM6.5.

I expect that MS will end up making the best OS to integrate with MS products and services. I know that it's not fully there at the moment, but I don't think anyone will be able to do it better than MS will.

If you need something NOW, then another OS may be better for you. Perhaps WM6.5. But for a few months from now, I doubt that Google or Apple will be able to do a better job of working with Microsoft products.
    sulster likes this.