Will I need a new unlock code if I reset my phone?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Jack De La Mare, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Jack De La Mare

Jack De La Mare New Member

Hello,

I bought an LG Optimus 7 from an eBay seller who got it unlocked as it was locked to Orange France. Obviously this means I couldn't run through the initial setup myself, and I was just wondering - if I reset the phone (how do I do this?) will I have to get the phone unlocked myself?

And as I've never run through the setup myself, is there any need for me to reset it? I'd imagine there would have been some personal information that I should have entered on the setup or something.

Thanks in advance,
    Jack
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

In my experience with my past phones, reseting to factory requires you to unlock the phone again.

As far as personal settings go, you're going to need to change the APN to work with your network. Otherwise, you won't get data access.

With regards to accounts, you need to add a Windows Live account to gain access to the Marketplace.

I would try contacting your network and see if they can assist you with the setup.
  3. Jack De La Mare

Can all of this be done without having to run through the setup on the phone? I mean can I change those settings now?

Is it worth resetting or not? Nothing's been done on the phone really, the seller set it up to unlock.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

For accounts: settings/system/email & accounts
    For APN: settings/system/cellular/add APN
  5. Jack De La Mare

Thanks. The phone's actually a Christmas present so can't have it until Christmas. I've obviously tried it with my sim, it works, takes me to the home screen but I quickly turned it off to save it.

So there's no point resetting, is there?
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I don't think so. But there may come a time when the phone starts to act funny that only a reset can fix. And I'm not sure how an update/upgrade will work with an unlocked phone. The update/upgrades are usually carrier and region specific.
  7. Jack De La Mare

Oh... hmm that may be an issue. I live in the Channel Islands, we don't technically have networks here. We do, but none of the phones are locked to them (which is why I needed an unlocked phone). The updates better work! I thought they will come through Zune PC software anyway?
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yes that is true, they come through Zune software, but the phone was originally locked to a carrier. So, I'm guessing here, the phone is still tied to Orange France. I suppose we won't really know until the first update comes.
  9. Jack De La Mare

Oh jesus I hope not... that'd just suck!

I think I'm going to take the phone into a local network and see what they say. Even though they don't stock Windows Phone at this current time, surely they will help me make sure it'll work.

Thanks for your help!
  10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You're welcome. And good luck. I hope everything works in your favor. Please come back and let us know what the carrier tells you. I'm sure there are others in your situation and would love to know the answer.
  11. Jack De La Mare

I went on contract today, changing network and luckily I tried my new SIM in the Windows Phone and it worked perfectly without me having to put the APN in. What exactly does the APN do anyway?
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Access Point Name (APN) settings allows your phone to access the internet over the carrier's mobile network.
  13. Jack De La Mare

Well on my Nokia N95 8GB it seems to be working (GPRS) without it, but they have given me the APN code so if I need it for my Windows Phone, I've got it for Christmas day :)

Not sure about upgrades for the phone, I guess we'll find out how it works for unlocked phones in January.
  14. Jack De La Mare

So I got the phone today and it works perfectly. Obviously not sure about updates but I'm sure it'll work as the Zune software was checking for updates.

Had a scare before... was on Twitter and clicked the "get WP7 app" link, it went to the page and told me the marketplace wasn't available in my region. I panicked, so went to the marketplace hub and it worked (after I'd set it up through my computer).

One thing, I used my Live ID to set it up and it synced my messenger contacts. Really annoying, I've heard this is the only sync you can't stop . Is this true? Any work arounds that don't include using a different Live ID?

Merry Christmas!
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Unfortunately it's true. I haven't found away to turn it off, so in the meantime I have imported my Gmail contacts to my Live account just to keep it clean. Although, it's really unnecessary, since the phone does a good job of linking duplicate contacts for you. You also have the option of lining them manually.
  16. Jack De La Mare

Ah the problem is I still use messenger for some of those contacts, I just don't want them flooding my people hub lol. So if I were to use a different Live ID on the phone can I delete the current one?
  17. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yes you could. But the only way I've found to do so is to hard reset the phone back to factory. I assume this is the case, because your Live ID is pretty much integrated to too many features of the phone which are constantly updating. When you hard reset your phone, you will have start over and be asked to enter your Live credentials. Everything will be deleted from your phone but will resync as soon as you enter all other credentials: Gmail, FB, etc. You will lose text messages, though.

settings/about/reset your phone.
  18. Jack De La Mare

Oh god I'd have to re-unlock the phone aswell so I'll live with it. Let's hope there's an update that solves this...
  19. riyadc

riyadc New Member

I has the same issue, bought an Orange UK unlocked phone from ebay and brought it to a different country. I hard reset it after buying it (Settings > About Phone > Reset) and everything worked perfectly, it asked for a live id to setup and I didn't need an unlock code or activation code.
  20. Jack De La Mare

Oh damn I wish I'd known that sooner. If I reset it will I be able to keep my apps and all that?