Will GPS work in the middle of no where?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by southwest2118, Jul 24, 2008.

1. southwest2118

southwest2118 New Member

Will GPS work in the middle of no where?

I plan on going to India soon...and read some stuff here about how the gps module in the q9h isn't real GPS or something...wondering if it will work in all places?

i was going to download Destinator and a map of India but first need to know if it will work.. thanks in advance

i tried to use the search but "gps" is too short to search for
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Not sure about Destinator, but apps like google maps and live search need data (internet) to access it's map. Apps like Garmin XT comes with an SD card, which is where the maps are stored; eliminating the need for internet.
  3. hello

hello New Member

it's really works anywhere, i'm living in Russian and motorola never selling "Q" phones there, but it works. Just try to search and welcome aboard :D
  4. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yes it will work. Its not as good as a standalone GPS chip, but yeah, it will work, anywhere. Even with no SIM card in it.
  5. hello

hello New Member

If you don't have cool program, i know one, GPSProga, and GLOG - it work perfectly and keeps you data plan.
    GPS - its free!
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

7. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Welcome aboard and as discussed many times before on this forum, it actually IS a real GPS, its a misconception because on some devices its apparently locked or forced to use a special service. If you have an unlocked or hacked version, you will be just fine.

Just mind that the free services require data service and roaming overseas can be VERY expensive. But if you get a self contained, all inclusive map service that is all pre-loaded already, you are fine and no worries. Just take out your SIM if you don't want to get burned by excessive charges for just pinging a tower.
  8. sniffs

sniffs New Member

I can confirm the GPS works without cell service.. I was in the middle of nowhere and the GPS was following fine, but since no cell service, the maps didn't update.. so it became useless for navigating.. (still useful for getting help from e911)

If you have pre-loaded maps via SD card, you'll be fine.