Will current phones update to Mango?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by DoubleEx, Jun 10, 2011.

1. DoubleEx

DoubleEx New Member

I'm Verizon customer and am ready to get a new phone. Verizon just started carrying the Windows phone this month (HTC). I would get one immediately but I'm afraid of what I end up with come November. I'm more interested in the operating system than the hardware so if the HTC will take an upgrade to Mango then I'm ready to make the move.

Does anybody have any insight on this? Thanks
  2. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

Yes, all the phones being sold now will be upgradable to Mango in the fall. Understand, mango will offer some capabilities that these phones won't be able to handle but I think the majority of items in Mango will be useable.

The real problem, and I hope I'm wrong, is when Verizon will out the Mango update. I hope it doesn't take as long to update as it did to introduce the phone itself. I'm sure others will post and fill in the blanks.
  3. DoubleEx

DoubleEx New Member

Thanks Ax - I have the same concerns. I've waited quite a long time to even get an option to buy a Win phone and now I'm afraid to do it. I could do it now and kick myself for missing out on the hardware changes that make Mango rock. Or I could decide to wait and wake up next June still waiting for Verizon to catch up. Quite frankly though, if these cell vendors don't get with the program Microsoft will fail. They need to come out strong and come out everywhere with this next release to even have a chance to catch up with iOS and Android.
  4. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

One more bit of info. I did go with the Trophy and I couldn't be happier. I had Android for 18 months and found out I did not want to tinker with ROM's, hacks; etc. just to get the phone to work. The Trophy & WP7 works straight out of the box and I have not had one reset or power down in the weeks I've had the phone. Jump in, Mango will only make things much better. I agree, MS has to put pressure on the cell vendors to sell, sell, sell. I just don't know how that pressure would be managed.
  5. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Mango has got to be one of the biggest updates for any platform. There are so many changes -- for the better. I think by the time it releases there will be even more goodness that we don't know about.
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Is it a coincedence that my favorite fruit is mango? I'm looking forward to this update... all 500 of them.