Will a MASTER RESET...

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by steve9207, Dec 25, 2007.

1. steve9207

steve9207 New Member

Will a MASTER RESET...

Hey everyone,

I'm considering doing a master reset. If I have applications installed on my Storage Card, will I still have functionality after the master reset?

I have 2 Gmail accounts (they're the same account) listed in my Email list, it's been acting really weird lately. (I had to add the account again b/c I couldn't access any settings). After I did this it worked fine for a while, but then I changed how often it searches for new mail, and ever since then it now gets the new mail to both accounts (but not simultaneously). Sometimes the one gets it first, and other times not. I'd like only one account listed - I think a master reset would be the best way to start 'fresh'.

I've only had the phone for a month, so I don't have much on the phone. But, I'd like to keep SplashID, which I got as a free Q pack for 6 months. If I do a master reset, will I lose this, even though it's on my storage card?

Thanks!
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

you programs on the SD card probably wont work as some items in the registry are added
    so you are probably going to have to reinstall them
    but they will still be on the card....
  3. steve9207

steve9207 New Member

That's what I kinda thought. Even though the bulk of the programs files reside on the SD card, there has to be something on the phone itself to tell it where to look to run the program. Perhaps I can back up the registry first then copy it back over after the reset (I think this might make what I'm trying to do pointless though, as it will probably affect my mail settings).
  4. n99hockey

im not sure how much the registry will affect your mail settings...you can always give it a shot and then if it still doesnt work you can just reset again
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

if you have not messed in the registry just deleting the recreating the mail account should be enough.
  6. steve9207

steve9207 New Member

Oh, I shoulda mentioned that. The reason I added the second Gmail account was because the first one can NOT be deleted, no settings can be changed, etc. It's almost like it's in "Read Only" mode. Strangely though, the second gmail acct and the comcast one I have full access to.

P.S. The only reg edit I've done is the ringtone limitation edit (I'm on AT&T).
  7. n99hockey

yea i would just master reset...
    seems like more of a hassle to work around saving the registry than to just reinstall programs
  8. steve9207

steve9207 New Member

True...I guess my only concern, out of everything I installed the only thing that wasn't a 'free' program or home screen, was the SplashID as part of the Q Pack. I was just a bit worried it wouldn't let me reinstall it since I only had a 6 month trial, but I suppose if there's no reg history of it, I shouldn't have a problem...
  9. n99hockey

you should be alright
    what does this program do?
    perhaps there is a similar software out there
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

isn't SplashID an app to safely store passwords and what not, like a secure wallet ? if so... why "waste" time storing your info if it expires in 6 months ?... there is other software for that, most of it is not free by the way..
  11. n0nexistence

n0nexistence New Member

I just did a master reset on my qh9 (due to regedit that bricked it), all of my cards content was untouched. I didn't have any programs installed on the card itself so I can't inform you on that.

I do agree that if the program makes a registry footprint, that the program will not run correctly. But not all programs make a footprint.
  12. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

if you want to save the trial app, move the .cab file to the storage card. Ater MR, you should be able to reinstall the trial app with no issues. I have done this a few times with Opera mobile trial. You may need to reinstall some items that were installed to the storage card.

and no,I was not trying to cheapskate my way on a free trial.....but it was a nice bonus :)
  13. steve9207

steve9207 New Member

Hey n99hockey, Rudeboy is correct - SplashID securely stores password, Credit Card Numbers, Insurance Information, Vehicle Information, etc. This is extremely helpful for me when I travel on business (to have my Marriot Rewards Number stored, my American Airlines Number) or when doing something with the car to have my VIN handy.

I'd be interested to know what other programs out there do the same thing. I like the organization and flow of SplashID, but I'd like to check out the others....
  14. n99hockey

oh in that case there are many

flexwallet (which i use and works really well) 'also has a desktop companion'
    ewallet
    codewallet
    plus others

also there is a program called extreme agenda which is a calendar/task program which also comes with a wallet program and a desktop companion to it which you can sync back and forth

all of which can be found in our Q software store
  15. Technician

Technician New Member

I just installed Good which so far I am really happy with but to install it I needed to do a Master Reset.

Kind of funny after I reinstalled Alarm Master some of the information still existed.

Strange unless something is stored in External Memory.