Why Palm makes me sad...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by darkdomino, Nov 27, 2008.

1. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Why Palm makes me sad...

Back in the good ole days I used to own a Palm IIIc handset. I remember loving PalmOS, and loving the fact I could get applications for it. It always ran quickly, and the layout was easy to use... and you could buy attachments for it... like WiFi cards and GPS dongles. It was all kinda clunky, but I ate it up with a spoon.... not to mention that screen, I just loved it.

My first smartphone was actually going to be a Palm Treo... but I went with Motorola's Q... and it is really disappointing because Palm seems to be only a shadow of what it used to be. Frankly I think PalmOS is dead... and my limited experience with my friend's Centro pretty much confirmed this. PalmOS for mobile phones is very... functional... but it's not pleasing. Whenever I mess around with my friend's Centro I feel like I'm in a time machine or something.

I think that Palm's Treo Pro is a step in the right direction for Palm. I think that they should focus less on their operating system, and focus that development on slimming down their devices, and making them more powerful. Blackberry is beating out Palm for one simple reason:

They made Blackberry cool for your average joe.

Years ago, Blackberry was reserved for business executives and people that needed powerful e-mail solutions for work and yet overnight they changed all that. I see kids with Blackberry Pearls and hell Verizon is practically giving away the Curve for 99.99 with contract. This is what Palm didn't do. The Blackberry Storm is even more trendy for that younger crowd. Palm's Centro is sort of a step in that direction, targeting itself toward a slightly younger crowd... but the keyboard is damn near useless, and all their Palm OS is gonna do is frustrate the younger crowd that they've seemingly targeted this phone too. People want more than just functionality these days... they want a pretty package. Some of those Palm Treos are HUGE... and they have less functionality than HTC's equally sized handsets. People will be willing to settle for a large handset if it's packed with features... but when you aren't including basic things like Wi-Fi and GPS... how do you hope to be competitive?

So Palm... you're going to need to start making your handsets competitive and more appealing to a wider market. I would really hate to see one of the oldest handset companies go out of business because they can't be competitive. Your Palm Treo Pro is a step in the right direction... and if I were to get a Palm today... it'd be a Treo Pro, hands down. It's ironic however that you needed HTC to design the sexiest Palm to date. I dunno if Palm can make sexy handsets on their own. Ahhh... Palm Palm Palm.

*gets off soapbox*
  2. Tech.erella

Tech.erella New Member

I thought you were gonna talk about your hand (palm) lol. Anywho this is weird that you mentioned this cause me and a co-worker were talking about phones (he wants a Blackberry Storm) and how Palm Smartphones have fallen off tremendously and how obsolete they are.
  3. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I never had the IIIc but I did Have the IIIxe and a III before that.

Back them it seemed like everyone wanted a Palm and the Windows devices were waning.

My wife's treo 700wx was a great phone in many ways.

While the Treo Pro is a sexy beast once the specs are looked at it's not really that sexy.
    Whirling he ram and cpu on say a Diamond may be good looking in theory it might not be necessary and contributes go the poor battery life.

When it hits Sprint in January I'll be taking a look at I for sure.
  4. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Not to mention most Treos are uber expensive. Back in the day I had a Handspring Visor Deluxe, with 8MB of storage and a Dragonball processor. It didn't even have a color screen! But that thing ran perfectly. It was heavy though. Probably since it ran on two AAA batteries. :laugh:
  5. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Good write up. I will always root for Palm. Had the original Pilot, moved to a Handspring Visor (no phone attachment) and then the Treo 180. From there it was device after device. They lost their way somewhere along the way and are really banking on this next OS. I wouldn't count them out. The Palm OS, despite being long in the tooth, is still a decent OS. I think they truly get UI and how users want to use their phone. If Nova looks great and delivers a great user experience, I think Palm can hold up their end of the deal when it comes to hardware. They simply need to start borrowing ideas from RIM. BlackBerry Bold is a nice piece of hardware. Throw Palm OS II on it and they might have a winner.

I think the Treo Pro is a bit of an over-reaction to people wanting them to make smaller, thinner devices. If I had a choice, I'd choose the Treo 800w over the Treo Pro. The keyboard on the 800w is so much better.

I agree with your assessment of RIM and BlackBerry. They have really delivered some excellent form factors and designs. It should be an interesting 2009. Motorola is certainly do for a refresh on their product line, Palm is looking to make a comeback and who knows what Apple will do.

-Chris