Why is my Q9h's camera zoom not a zoom at all?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by alexanka85, Sep 23, 2008.

1. alexanka85

alexanka85 New Member

Why is my Q9h's camera zoom not a zoom at all?

I have a Motorola Q9h/ Q Global running Windows Mobile 6.1 I've been playing around with the camera and I figured out that the digital "zoom" is not a zoom at all. It is simply taking the image and cropping it. I realize that the "zoom" is digital and not optical, but that would lead to me to believe that I'd just end up with a zoomed/pixelated image, but at the same size, but it is going from 1600x1200 at 1x, to 800x600 at 2x, 400x300 at 4x, and 200x150 at 8x. Is this how it's supposed to work or is this a known issue or what?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h128/alexanka85/ZoomSizes.jpg
  2. mjb23gvsu

mjb23gvsu New Member

You are correct that digital zoom simply crops the file and then enlarges it. In order to get optical zoom, the lens elements (glass) need to be able to change focal length, and that just isn't possible on these kinds of cameras. Optical zoom does the zooming before capturing the image, while I believe digital zoom captures the image first and then does the cropping/enlarging.

I'm not exactly sure what the technical explanation is for the file size decreasing by a factor equivalent of the inverse of the zoom amount (i.e., the 4x size = 1/4 of the 1x size), but think of it as the camera cropping your original photo to 1/4 the size/quality (1600/4 x 1200/4) and then blowing that up into the original space. A 4x optical zoom would give you the same file size with the same quality, but the digital zoom is kind of like taking 1/4 the quality and trying to present it in the original-sized box. If you've used Photoshop, for example, it's similar to blowing a photo up to 200% or 400% where you begin to see noticeable pixelation. When you decrease it back down to 100% it looks like it originally did. But with digital zoom you're stuck with the pixelated 200% or 400% view and can't get back to the 100% view quality.

It's the nature of digital zoom, not any problem or issue with the Q9h (or any other phone or camera that uses digital zoom). I hope that helps...
  3. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

while I have heard of a "liquid optical zoom" lens being researched, I imagine it's years away from production. Basically it would be a drop of water (or some other liquid) placed between to films that change shape when a current is applied (taking advantage of the refractive properties of the liquid to create an optical zoom lens in a small package)
  4. alexanka85

alexanka85 New Member

I would think that the digital zoom would just blow up pixels to create a "zoomed" image, and keeps the same dimensions, not just crop the full picture, because that isn't zooming in any sense of the word.
  5. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

if you enlarge the pixels and want to keep the image the same size you have to crop; otherwise there is no zoom effect, just a larger picture. any zooming (whether optical or digital) is just reducing the area of the original image to enlarge the intended subject.
  6. alexanka85

alexanka85 New Member

I know that if the pixels are enlarged, the picture has to be cropped to fit into the same dimensions, but the digital zoom on my Q9H is all cropping. It's taking the exact same picture and cropping it, it's not blowing up pixels.

Here's a quick shopped illustration of how'd I'd expect digital zoom to work:
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h128/alexanka85/DigitalZoomIllustration.jpg

I'd expect it to blow up pixels whereever you are pointing the camera to fill the same dimensions of the unzoomed image.
  7. Xebec

Xebec Member

I'm not overly concerned about it because programs like Photoshop can perform a "digital" zoom with much better results than even the most expensive digital camera.