Why Geekster is getting "fired" ......

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Geekster, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Why Geekster is getting "fired" ......

My boss had an offer he couldn't refuse to sell his business & he took it.
    After much back & forth between lawyers the deal was done & I was going to stay b/c I knew what was going on, etc.
    A client came in last week wanting to know if the ''rumors" were true about "Steve" retiring & wanting to know who bought the business. When I told him the name he froze. I'm looking at him thinking that this is not going to be good. Then said he just read that name on a website for sexual predators. We're both scrambling to the PC to get the URL typed in there. Yep, there he was.
    Am I scared for me? NO. I am older than 10 and I am a female. (Got that pix?)
    I told MY boss that I can't/won't/refuse to work for this guy. I drew a line in the sand & I refuse to cross it. If I stay I am telling the world that I don't care what he did, I condone what he did, I'm turning a ''blind eye'' to what he did. Nope, not me. Forgive & forget? Not in me folks. He served his time? He wouldn't have had to serve any "time" if he didn't do what he did, twice. For me there is no "debate" on what is the right thing to do here. I'm doing what I know is right for me.
    My butt is covered with my bookkeeping (part of any process like this) & I got a copy attesting that everything is up & up. Turned in my keys with my boss & the new guy signing the paper with a notary sig & stamp. (If anything should become missing/stolen in the future it ain't going to be me in the loop).
    I am getting "fired", maybe today now that I think about it b/c I am done with everything, b/c my job has been eliminated as agreed to by both "bosses''.
    So, I'll be filing for unemployment next week & looking for work. Still have my part-time job, still have my "crap jobs" but I have never not worked since I was 12!
    This is either going to be a l-o-n-g summer or I am just going to get fat and lazy from all my free time & become a nuisance to society. :smile:
  2. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Better to stand by your morals than to compromise your integrity.... you'll be better able to look at yourself in the mirror for the rest of your life.

Good luck on your job search,... hope you end up with a job that pays you more and you work half as hard...that would be the only just thing.
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

that is some story!!
    glad you stood up or your principles
    i wish you the best of luck in finding a new job

just think....more time for EQ :)

-Sent from my Q
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

agree with previous poster... pretty sure you'll land on your feet.

good luck...

potQ.
  5. congrats? Geekster.
    I applaud you for your morals.
    Just out of being nosey, what level is he?
  6. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I'm not playing devil's advocate here, and I do applaud you for your choice. I juat have a "random" question.
    When sexual predators (those who have been caught at least) move into a neighborhood I believe that people get some sort of notice. Do they also do that when they run businesses? I know that the information is (usually) publicly available (thanks to the FoIA), but a lot of people wouldn't go out of their way to find that info out. Most of the time I try to forgive, but with that kind of crime it's hard to (especially having two boys myself)
  7. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

congrats for sticking to your morals....

everybody makes mistakes, but this is something that a person plans and knows what they are doing. True they have to live, but they won't do it near me or my daughter.

I'm sure you will find something better, can always do tech support for RB/n99 :)
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i heard that :}
  9. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

haha that works for me...but i dont pay well :)

-Sent from my Q
  10. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

But you do pay...
    maybe I could telnet from here...
  11. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Wow, that is down right crazy. All of the bosses are coming down tomorrow to hand out the rest of the notices to those of us who havent received them. (Company moving to Mexico)

Its hard looking around the building seeing friends & co-workers that you've worked with for 10yrs leaving and all the equipment being boxed up and shipped.

But when one door closes...... another one opens.
  12. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

So this customer that came in just happens to troll the Sexual Predator list enough to recognize the guys name. I know that the list exists but I can't say that I have ever looked to see if there is anyone in my neighborhood. Which I guess I should having a teenage daughter. Ignorance is not bliss in this case.

Does the new boss know the reason for your refusal to work for him? I know I personally couldn't work for him either, it would creep me out everytime I saw him. I just don't think that a sexual predator (male or female) can be 'cured'.

Good luck in your job search! Hopefully it won't to painful a process and you will be back on your feet soon.
  13. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

UPDATE: I've Been Fired

Just got my notice. June 23,2008 is the last day. 9 weeks severance and 24 weeks of Retenion, with a seperate check for Sick time / Vac time, plus umemployment.

Plus job assistance from CPI, Tetution reimbursent for any classes I take from now until the end of severance.
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

good luck to you also.. (i am understanding correctly you got fired also ?)i was there a few years back, and had a hard time -as a foreigner- to find a new job.
  15. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

check out my update above your post
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it was there after i finished my post... again, good luck dude.
  17. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Thanks bro.
  18. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Doing good, guys. Thanks...
    I feel sorry for the guys who "can't" leave (they do have families to support) but they will asap.
    I got a job starting Monday. My part-time job from nites turned into a full time days. More counter work than I want but they promise to let me in the back every once in the while. Plus I'm now going to do the bookkeeping for them, too. Asked if I could bring in my lappie and hook it up out front so I could mess around when I wasn't busy & they did better. Putting up a PC for me in the corner of the counter with my own personal stool. I'm going to be bugging the hell out of you guys all summer!!!
    Down side, I have to learn MAC. I'm sooooo M$ windows.

@ Paco, I may not get paid for being "tech support" but the benefits are GREAT! So far, rb owes me a sloppy dutch kiss on the check & a hug.
    But I'm going to have to start charging Scott, he's not coming thru with any "fringies". LOL :tounge:
  19. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

That's great!! I was going to invite you down to my neck of the woods if you were without a job for any length of time. But as Shaun said earlier one door closes and another opens. (rather quickly for you)

*waiting on my sloppy dutch cheek kiss invite from rb, umph!*
  20. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

Glad you managed to get something sorted out so quickly.

It's a real tricky situation for me and as you say it's nice to be in a position where you have the ability to stand by your morals. In theory I would like to think that everyone can change and rehabilitate but in reality I'm not sure that's possible.

However the alternative of permanent/longer incarceration also carries risks too, not sure this is the place to debate that though!

I've never been a fan of the law were you can find out where all the 'sexual predators' live. I'm not sure how healthy this is but with regard to my daughter I presume everyone is a risk!

Craig