Why does my phone keep turning off....

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Blivit, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Blivit

Blivit New Member

Why does my phone keep turning off....

...and cannot be turned back on without removing the battery?

First off, I love the Q and everything it can do.

I am currently on my second one. The first would not turn on after 1 day of owning. This was after charging the battery overnight. The second one was fine for a week and now randomly turns itself off. Yesterday alone, during a 3 hour period it turned off 6 times. Every time it turns off, it will not come back on unless I remove the battery.

This is really getting frustrating. I really hope I do not have to replace it again.

Any ideas? I tried putting some tape on the battery to hold it in place better but it still turns off. Today it turned off again and so fare I cannot get it to turn back on. I am with sprint if that matters...
  2. Roguefoxx

Roguefoxx New Member

I'm not sure what the problem may be, but it took me 5 Q's till I got one that worked great. Haven't had a problem with my 5th one yet...
  3. Blivit

Blivit New Member

It seems to be hit or miss with these. Some people never have a problem whereas others never have a good device.

Looks like I will be going for phone #3 now...I still can't get it to turn back on.
  4. uebermann

uebermann New Member

mine's doing the same thing and has been for a little over a month. got the replacement today and am working on getting my contacts backed up before I go any further.

The problem is a very poorly made phone. While I really like this phone, I love to hate it because of how poor quality these things are. I spent a day devouring information on this forum and found that almost everyone here has had to replace their phone several times. And most for the same reason.

That points to an inferior product, not a problem with the people using it.
  5. Blivit

Blivit New Member

I completely agree. The battery/battery door are a joke.

What really sucks is being that this one was working fine for a week I just started putting all my contacts and appointments in it....now I lose all of that and will have to do it all over again.

6. Blivit

Blivit New Member

UPDATE:

I got the phone turned on. After messing around with taking the battery out and plugging usb in...it eventually turned on. However, it dies again as soon as I unplug usb. Do these batteries not hold a charge? I had the phone plugged in, charging overnight.

...oh look, it turned off again....
  7. uebermann

uebermann New Member

nah its not the battery. Mine does the exact same thing you are describing whether I use the extended battery or the one it came with.

There's no real way to fix this problem dude. Just gotta get a replacement...
  8. Geckotek

Geckotek New Member

We've had several that just powered themselves off. We end up exchanging them all.
  9. Roguefoxx

Roguefoxx New Member

Make sure you are backing up your contacts and appointments so you don't have to continually input them over and over again... and if you are able to turn your phone on while you are getting a replacement, get your sprint/verizon or whatever your provider is, service rep to beam your contact list etc over to your new phone.
  10. okkiedokki

okkiedokki New Member

the problem with the phone turning off and not being able to turn it back on stems from a software issue and not a battery issue. to fix it there is a registry hack that changes the number in lowpowermode from 0 to 2. i am posting this on my Q and the link i have is stored on my computer but i've posted the fix before just do a search for lowpowermode i bet it will help you.
  11. Geckotek

Geckotek New Member

Wish I knew about this months ago.
  12. dchain

dchain New Member

I updated my software a few days ago, and that seems to help the most... and for the contacts if you set up your wireless sync then everything comes back into that section once it is reset up... I use outlook for all my contacts keeps everything more simple and then it is also easier for when you use google maps and etc. then you just look up the contact and find things around you if needed.
  13. Blivit

Blivit New Member

Interestingly enough, after I posted this thread I too updated my software. So far, it seems to have helped with this issue but did introduce others. The phone hasn't shut itself off but I did have a hard time turning it back on the last time I shut it off manually.

Also, my contacts were backed up through the update process but it did not back up my calender and I lost everything on it....it also cleared my home screen modifications and put them back to factory. I am also now having problems with activesync and my exchange server. That one may not be related though.
  14. Every phone I ever owned, smart or not, has had to be replaced. The refurbs in my opinion are better than the new ones.
  15. chronoso

chronoso New Member

actually, my q has just done this. it was sitting attached to the charger to my old smt5600 and then it just shut off. the whole time, it was showing the 'getting charged' icon up top. now it turns on once in a while, but wont get past the first sprint logo. it's almost as though it's not accepting charge. it's very weird. i'll try hooking it up to the charger that came in the box later tonight. i guess ill hit the store to get a replacement tomorrow since i'm heading to the devils game right after work today.

wish it had a charging status led like my old phones have had.

update: if i leave it plugged in to the adapter for a while and turn it on (while still attached) i can get it to boot up just long enough to see if i have any voicemail or text messages and to see that in the power settings panel it has about 1 single pixel of juice on the meter. this is wicked lame.
  16. Geckotek

Geckotek New Member

Sounds like you need a new one.
  17. dchain

dchain New Member

I would do a full recovery on yours and if that does not work, then get it returned ASAP. It could be that one of the programs you put on did this so you need to be careful...
  18. chronoso

chronoso New Member

well, last night after the game, i hooked it up to my computer and (per a fellow q user's suggestion) updated the firmware with the motorola program. after that vaguely harrowing experience, i left it to charge with the wall adapter and it seems to be fine. i used jeyo mobile companion for backing up, but the updated backed most stuff up anyway aside from applications so i didnt need to restore. looks like everything worked out, just had a wonky charger, i guess.

i'm off to go knock on whatever synthetic-wood-type-substitute i can find here at work.
  19. dchain

dchain New Member

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!! I know it can be a pain in the A$$ sometimes...

Also if you save most of your progams to your storage card instead of the device it makes it a lot easier to restore everything if you have to redo it.