Who's Q actually works??

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by widerberg, Jun 18, 2007.

1. widerberg

widerberg New Member

Who's Q actually works??

Hey, All:

I'm being serious, not trying to be a troll or a smart@ss. I just got my Q last Thursday, so it's 4 days old. This morning, after a full charge late yesterday, my phone won't turn on. It gets to the yellow Sprint splash screen then the screen goes black and the unit is off. I'm at work and I don't have my charger with me, so I'll have to wait until I get home to see if the battery is just dead. I've removed the battery, left it out for 15 minutes, put it back in, no dice. I've read the "Help, My Q Won't Start Up" thread, and I'm totally bummed. I guess I'll be returning it tomorrow for a new one. I love this phone and don't want a Treo :-(

So . . . who's Q actually works?

Should I even bother exchanging it for a new one? It seems there are people on their 3 or 4th Qs due to this problem. Have Motorola released a firmware update if that is in fact the problem, as some suggest?

bo
  2. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Mine works just fine. Never had a problem with it...
  3. neutral

neutral New Member

Mine works well.
  4. smaulz

smaulz New Member

Mine works great too. Never had to replace it.
  5. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

My Q works perfectly and always has. My Q is the grey Q from Alltel. Sounds like all you did was not check to see if it was really charging and now the battery is dead. I'd tell you to try to plug it into a USB at work there, but the Q won't start a charge via USB if the battery is that low.

You should also have the latest Motorola software if you only bought it 4 days ago. You can always check by installing Motorola's software updater and running it with your Q synced, but it requires a full charge on the battery to initiate.

Don't give up so easily. If the Q had such wide spread issues there wouldn't be so many of us loving our Qs :laugh2:
  6. widerberg

widerberg New Member

I hear you guys. I'm going to keep the faith. I've been wanting this phone for months. When it played dead this morning and I got on here and saw 6 pages of non-starting issues, I got all gloomy. I so want this thing to work.

We'll see what happens when I get home and charge her.

I feel better (after reading about all the problems) to see that some people have had no problems. :thumbup:
  7. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

not true...i got the low battery message last night and plugged it in via USB and it started charging...it shouldnt matter how low the battery is....

oh yea...my Q works great...wouldnt trade it for anything...
  8. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

Really? Good to know. I remember reading it wouldn't work, but if it does Widerberg should give it a shot. There might be a miniUSB around his office somewhere.
  9. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

yea, maybe they were refering to it being off and not charging via USB??
  10. chi

chi New Member

a little over a month and going strong. only issue is Opera beta which crashes my Q sometimes and i end up having to remote the battery.
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

*raises hand*....
  12. widerberg

widerberg New Member

Hey, everybody. Well, it turns out my gloom wasn't misplaced after all. I got home and plugged the Q into its charger and lo and behold I get this . . .

Motorola Flash Mode
    Bootloader Version:
    Boot_C_03.08.00R_MPAP
    Charger Connected
    Please Connect the USB Cable

From reading the forums, and trying every keystroke suggested, it appears my Q is DOA.

I've got to say, honestly, as much as I love the idea of my Q, this thing has got to be the most fragile and poorly made POS electronic device I've ever come across. I'm not saying that to inflame anyone, but this is just comical. Yes, I read the forums on this site and others, I guess I was just hopeful and blinded by my lust for this phone and ignored all the bad reports. My Q is/was 4 days old. I've made exactly two calls on it, and now this?

How could Motorola bring something like this to market? I mean, this is class action lawsuit type stuff. These things just apparently blow, and they know about it! And yet Motorola, Sprint, Verizon, etc. etc. gladly take our money. Nice. Karma, man, karma!

Arrrghhhh.

Peace.

Bo
  13. braxtoq

braxtoq New Member

Dude, maybe you just got a bad one, could happen with any electronic device, personally I 've had mine since Oct 06 and it never leaves my side, e-mail, Sirius streming texting, internet usage, and the Phone call quality is excellent! Never had a singel problem!
  14. extremum

extremum New Member

Mine works A-OK. My advice, is to quit messing with Beta software.
  15. bigsmoekdog

bigsmoekdog New Member

black verizon q.

thrown, kicked, dropped, smashed, and whatever else.

still works like a charm.
  16. widerberg

widerberg New Member

<start rant> Extremum, I hear you, and if I'd installed hacked, beta, or other software on here I'd own it and chalk it up to something not to do next time. But I haven't. I haven't installed one single app on this thing, beta or otherwise. Four days old, two calls, and dead as a doornail.

Sure, you can't have 100% quality control, but my dead Q is far from the exception by the looks of this forum. Sure, more people report bad stuff than good, but still. There are a lot of dead and dying Qs out there. A lot more than I think should be expected from a powerhouse like Motorola.

Why am I even bothering to post about it? Yeah, it's pretty unproductive, but I'm just frustrated and moaning about it is making me feel better. For an expensive piece of hardware like this, I should not have to drag my lazy butt back down to Sprint to get a new one.

We keep paying for crap, and the Motorolas and Microsofts of the world are gonna keeping making crap for us to buy. <end rant> :thumbdown

bo

And Bigsmoekdog . . . gray Sprint Q . . . kept in leather case, handled with kid gloves, used twice . . . dead as can be. Your mileage may vary, I guess. I wish I had gotten yours :laugh2:
  17. beefums

beefums New Member

I was with Nextel before switching to spring. Their "rugged" military spec phone ended up breaking. So I brought it in for repairs. They sent it back and the replacement "unbreakable phone" bounced (DOA) when I received it. I ended up returning it and getting another one.

Moral of the story: Phones are electronics. They break. Call Sprint and claim warranty on it.

Edited to add: All spring phones have a 30 day guarantee. I bought a Razr before I got my Q. I returned the Razr because it sucked. If you bought it via sprint store, go back to that store. If you bought it tele/internet sales, call!

All else fails, call executive customer care. They will hook you up.
  18. widerberg

widerberg New Member

Thanks, Beefums. I'll be heading down to my Sprint Store tomorrow at lunch, fingers crossed. I might sacrifice a box of KFC to the cell phone Gods, too, in hopes that the next Q will live long. I *really* like this phone. We'll see if I'll get lucky with the next one.

bo
  19. Benso87

Benso87 New Member

This is just an idea, but I think it's kind of likely that a lot of the reason it sounds like the Q sucks so often could be because people don't say anything about it if it's working. And there's probably a good chance that some people are only even looking at these forums because they're having problems. If everything was the way they wanted it, there wouldn't be any reason for them to be here, you know?

But I still don't own a Q (It should get here Thursday), so I can't relate completely. But I did spend a lot of time on a forum about my RAZR because Verizon made it suck so much. That's why it has Alltel firmware now. :laugh2:
  20. beefums

beefums New Member

No problem man. After ditching my nextel phone, this thing is amazing.

Goodluck!