Who's getting Vista?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by qwho, Jan 28, 2007.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, but I'm all set with Office for Mac. Received the PC yesterday and run into a few problems. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a few more purchases.:foot: It seems the box I bought came with a card that only supports VGA. What's the point in getting the Business edition of Vista if you cannot see the Aero effects. Quick trip to Circuit City and popped in a new graphics card. Also realized it doesn't have any internal sound. (All Macs have a small internal speaker). So, back to Circuit City for a small set of speakers.

Got it up and running. The next task was to split my internet connection and was happy to find it out it was possible to use a second router. My main router is in my basement, so I was able to use and old second router to split the ethernet connection to both the Mac and the PC. A few bumps in the road, but it's jammin' now. I upgraded the firmware on both routers for good measure.

Almost there... now, it's time to introduce my Q. :laugh2:
  2. My-Q

My-Q New Member

Your computer did not come with built-in speakers? Did you order it that way? Oh, I would have had a major Jersey.
  3. chris

You get what you pay for... I started with a bare bones E521. I upgraded the processor (figuring that was money well spent), the RAM and the OS. I did grow impatient with the process and kept saying "Next component" avoiding Dell's recommendations. I figured it would make some sound and a DVI out. No luck. My first introduction to PC buying. The computer was under $500, but my setup was far from ideal. It didn't take long to realize that I wasn't getting such a great deal. Add Windows Vista upgrade $99, Video Card $119 (after rebate), DVD-R/CD-R $35 and Speakers $30 (after rebate). Overall, I'm happy with the set-up. I probably could have gotten a Mac mini, an OEM copy of XP and run BootCamp for the same price.:angry:This will definitely run faster though...

I could probably use a stick of RAM, but will hold off until I see a good sale.

-Chris
  4. My-Q

My-Q New Member

Did you get a sound card with your notebook? If you did, it should have come with speakers. Where did you get this notebook? I'll know not to get a new one from there. LOL!
  5. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Its even worse calling Dell - I just got one, and I called in, they are like used car salesmen.
  6. chris

Just added a DVD/CD-R. I originally picked up a Pioneer, but it was IDE. Returned and got a Samsung SATA. Of course, NERO software that was bundled isn't Vista compatible. Jumped through a few hoops and was able to get the update to v.7. Nice of them to offer, but it sure wasn't easy to find this offer.

I finished off the beast today by adding 2GB of RAM from ZipZoomFly. $78 shipped. I don't even want to total the damage. I did take care of all my rebates (big accomplishment for me). Good deals on all the added goodies and happy with the end results. Just not what I signed up for...

Luckily, I haven't had to call DELL.:foot:

I just saw this and cannot stop laughing. I caught this commercial last night.

-Chris