Who's getting Vista?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by qwho, Jan 28, 2007.

1. qwho

qwho New Member

Who's getting Vista?

I already have Vista Ultimate. All I have to say is this... I don't know where all the talk about Vista not being easy to install, being buggy, or not compatible with any software is coming from.

Who is perpetuating this propaganda about Vista not working right?

I am extremely impressed with it. I anyone else using it yet? Is anyone getting it this week?
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Once I upgrade my Mac to Intel, I'll give it a try. This shapes up to be a good year for computer users on both sides -- with both Leopard and Vista shipping. Microsoft finally held up their part of the deal and shipped a product. Is Tuesday the official release?
  3. ervman1

ervman1 New Member

I'm using vista ultimate as well. i love it. i havent had any bugs or problems with it at all other than when i had the beta versions. i think all this propoganda is coming from apple :gasp: . lol. but no seriously its been fine for me. i also use office 2007 and i can say that that is amazing as well. overall ive been really pleased by vista and office 2007.
  4. dipgolf

dipgolf New Member

I wish I could upgrade but I have to wait until I buy a new pc. I bought a Toshiba tablet about a year and a half ago and I can't run Vista because of the crappy integrated graphics on it.

The biggest thing that appeals to me in Vista is the ability to use a USB flash drive to help system memory, how cool is that.

It's those sneaky, pompous Apple people.
  5. Bwizzy

Bwizzy New Member

I'ce installed it on a friends homebrew pc and he has problems here and there but for the most part it pretty good. The problems he's had has been with most of his burning software and things of that sort. I tell you what though, I aint paying $400 for the ultimate version. Run over to Newegg.com and pay $199 for the OEM Ultimate Vista. I get mine in the mail this monday. I'm not going to install it till May though.
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i may want to test drive it, but not on this VAIO... then again, so far XP has been pretty good to me + as some of you here i spent most my time on here and playing w/ the Q that i don't have time for trying Vista :}
  7. grlnxtdr681

grlnxtdr681 New Member

Vista and Itunes?

I will be getting Vista by next week when my upgrade comes in. I bought my tower from Best Buy and they included the S&H for the upgrade. I think I will be getting the Home Premium edition. I was reading somewhere that Itunes isn't ready for the new OS and is telling people to hold off installing it. That it was unstable at best. So I am wondering what the truth to that really is. I know right now that the only thing keeping Apple afloat is the Ipod , hence the reason you see so many anti- microsoft commercials , when in reality Microsoft actually helped them by allowing the software for the Ipod to work with Microsoft. I may wait to install Vista until I know further details , because my Ipod is a large part of my commute to work. Also, I just bought Norton 2007, and there is some issues with that not working with Vista as well. There will be a software update, but I would prefer Norton over the Windows firewall anyday. So I think once I get it I will play it by ear.
  8. SafeHarbor

SafeHarbor New Member

Some Palm syncware, like for the LifeDrive and Tungsten T5, is not ready yet, either.

I'll probably give Vista Business a try on my ThinkPad - the Q is the only thing that syncs with it - but I'll wait for some drivers from Lenovo to come available before I jump.
  9. swagner

swagner New Member

Not upgrading my Vaio desktop for one simple reason. I do not know if the GigaPocket software and TV card will work. I may upgrade my TC1100 tablet.

I will definately go to Office 2007 as I need to support it at work.
    P.S. IF (big if) the next Mac OS will run on a G4 I will upgrade my iBook.:wink:
  10. dipgolf

dipgolf New Member

There is other software out there that you can use to sync your iPod with your PC instead of iTunes.
  11. inf3st

inf3st New Member

GOD! Please tell me what this is! Itunes is the devil.
  12. Bwizzy

Bwizzy New Member

I know for a fact that Media Player can put your music on your iPod, but I haven't tried to put videos on my iPod that way.
  13. dipgolf

dipgolf New Member

I use Anapod Explorer. It says it's Vista compatible.

There is also sharepod which is free but not sure about it with Vista, plus I don't think it works with video iPods.
  14. grlnxtdr681

grlnxtdr681 New Member

What software is that? I thought only Itunes worked with the Ipod. Thanks for the info though.
  15. grlnxtdr681

grlnxtdr681 New Member

Plus I also put videos in my Pod so will it work with putting video in it as well?
  16. Hank3rd

Hank3rd New Member

I have been running RC1 for some time. I just recieved my OEM copy of Ultimate, I may install it in a few days. I am also waiting for my Express Upgrade premium Edition for my laptop.

I also tried the Beta for Office 07, but have not used it in a while. I received a copy of Office 2007 from Power Together for watching some of thier webinars, but I do not want to install it until I have my full version of Ultimate installed.

So far, like them all!
  17. dipgolf

dipgolf New Member

Anapod explorer replaces iTunes. It lets you put videos and photos onto your iPod just like iTunes. You can also change the bitrate and stuff when you put songs onto the iPod to make them smaller but keep them high on your PC.
  18. artificialmaps

artificialmaps New Member

Hi,

I personally received the full edition of Windows Vista Business from my college; however, until almost all the programs I'm currently running on XP Professional are fully complient with Windows Vista, I'm not going to be making the upgrade. It's the same way with all new operating systems, let them work out all the bugs, throw out the first service pack in a few months, and then go ahead and perform your upgrade.

Oh, and by the way - perhaps some of you don't know this, but do NOT waste your money on buying the "full edition" of the retail box copies. Why? Because, you can use the "upgrade" retail copies as a "full edition" (e.g., performing a clean install, one as such on a new, blank hard drive). Have a read:
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

I'm not sure how or why Microsoft let this get through, but they may patch this on upcoming retail box copies, so... buy your copy now, if you're interested in this loophole workaround.

HTH, take care,

--
    Shane H
    shane@avenuedesigners.com
    http://www.avenuedesigners.com
    Owner/Designer
  19. nacnack

nacnack New Member

I just got my Vista laptop PC and love it to however, I have spent 4 days just trying to get Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) to connect to my Q via bluetooth and even Dell VISTA Tech support can't get it to work. I am really burnt out on trying every configuration possible but NO GO. however the cable connection works flawlessly. BUT NO BT sync with WMDC. Any step by step procedures would be greatly appreciated.

I would much rather use the BT functionality if possible.
  20. qwho

qwho New Member

I have had NO LUCK trying to sync with the mobile sync center in Vista. I have given up... it is as if my device isn't there at all.

I just use OBEX bluetooth now, since syncing my Q won't do much anyhow, since I use exchange for my email at work.

If anyone can give us some tips on how to sync properly, that would be great.

Has anyone experimented with bit torrent clients in vista? I have successfully used uTorrent (micro torrent)... but I have not seen high throughput with it, even with the healthiest torrents I could find I am still only getting a maximum of about 200 KB/s... maybe a different client would work better for me.