Who wants Windows Mobile 6.1 added to the Q??

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by adma, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Which was a point I made several strings ago...

You want butter on that popcorn, mike?
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

thanks, but im trying to watch my girly figure. :)

both sides have good points, but everyone has a personal opinion ..just a fact of life.

Neither think the upgrade will happen, just one side chooses to hope that it may. One of the cleanest net debate/arguments I've seen.
  3. miro

miro New Member

Point well taken, but then why on earth is Microsoft working so hard to get a patch out if no carrier intends to use it? Seems like they should just move on to WM7.

This is a total aside and hopefully a return to a happy place for this thread... :tounge: but everything I've seen so far on WM6.1 makes it seem sort of like WM6 + Windows Live + a few extras (like threaded SMS). I wonder why Microsoft doesn't just circumvent the carrier and offer it as an application that sits on a WM6 device instead of a "total upgrade". That would alleviate the carrier responsibility, and I know I get way better application support from the user community than I do hardware support from Sprint. I for one would be all for it.
  4. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

that would be a nice, but it boils down to $. Sprint wants everyone to keep upgrading and extending contracts with as little fuss a possible. Easier for them to wait for the next version of WM and smartphone to put it on.
  5. adma

adma New Member

Exactly. Who purchases a phone expecting an upgrade? None of us 'expect' the upgrade, nor do we feel like we deserve it. Also, of course it's a long shot, the whole point is ITS SO EASY TO EMAIL ECARE AND JUST ASK.

Can handle a little bit of a discussion? :)
  6. tbhausen

tbhausen New Member

I think this update is somewhat likely. Between the "Windows Update" feature and Motorola's horsepower, I think all WM6 Q users have a better shot at the 6.1 update than, say, the WM5 > WM6 update for the original Q (which of course didn't happen).

Todd/Indy
  7. adma

adma New Member

I guess my thing is, why post negative comments in this thread anyway.The thread was originates and has continued in light of, it's a long shot, we would love it, probably won't get it, but hey contact Sprint and see what's might happen. It's not like we promised this would result in an update :angry:

So everyone contact Sprint! :) By the way, there is a much easier way to contact ecare now. All you have to do is send an email to:
    ecare1@cc.sprintpcs.com

No need to find the form on the Sprint site. This info will be added to the front page.
  8. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Microsoft advances the software primarily to make it available to hardware manufacturers. If/when Motorola comes up with the next Q iteration, I expect to see them integrate the latest WM version onto THAT phone but NOT make it available to owners of prior models. Again, doing so creates a customer service technical support nightmare for them.

The moment a technical assistance rep has to ask the question "Are you using WM6 or WM6.1" or "So you say that after you attempted to do the upgrade to WM6.1 your Q no longer functioned correctly, is that right?" Motorola's budget for technical support goes supernova - those are questions and situations they absolutely do NOT want to deal with.
  9. jtscanlon

jtscanlon New Member

I filled out the online survey and mentioned that I would really appreciate an opportunity to upgrade my phone to 6.1 as it contains a lot of very useful features. I'll also email ecare. Hopefully we'll get something!
  10. op12

op12 New Member

Check out the response I got after emailing ecare:
    Sounds to me like my request was understood correctly, and they really are working on it.
  11. mulletmandan

mulletmandan New Member

Good news! I received a more general response saying they'd forward the request to the proper department. I'm still not getting my hopes up, but this is a step in the right direction!
  12. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

perhaps this thread should be renamed to: blah blah for the Q9c. The Q1 will never get an " official" upgrade
  13. mulletmandan

mulletmandan New Member

You do realize you're in the Q9c forum, right?
  14. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

yes, but for those who dont pay attention to such things they may get their hopes up for not..or clutter up the thread
  15. adma

adma New Member

Quote:
    Hello.

Thank you for emailing Sprint. I apologize for the delay in responding to your message. I understand your inquiry regarding upgrade for Motorola Q9C.

Currently, we are working to launch the Windows Mobile 6 upgrade for Motorola Q9C.

Although, no official release date has been declared for the upgrade. However, as soon as the upgrade is launched, we will inform our customers with high profile promotions.

I understand that there are lot of customers waiting for the release and I can assure you that our technical department is working hard to make it available soon. I appreciate your patience and understanding in this regard.

If you have any further questions, simply reply to this message.

We want to see you happy and satisfied, we are here to serve you. Thank you for emailing us.

Zorin M.
    E-Care
    Sprint
    "Where our customers come first!"

Good job all! Keep the pressure up! It sounds like something may be in the works!!
  16. Boe

Boe New Member

Well,

The way I see it...where there are upgrades there are glitches. Think about it, Microsoft created several upgrades/fixes to; Win 95, 98, XP etc. and tested them all extensively in the Beta form and when the product was finally released it still had glitches. Now everyone is looking forward to WM 6.1 which doesn't even get tested nearly as much as their other software nor is it used by as many people which means features that worked great before may not work at all in this version and features that some liked may go away all together. I am happy with ver 6 and my Q9c. Like the saying goes..."you can't please everyone" and that is so, so true.

Anyhow, hope it works out for you all.
  17. adma

adma New Member

I bet you are a fun guy to have at a party :2cool:
  18. mulletmandan

mulletmandan New Member

Hah...agreed!

Anyway, I emailed eCare again and I got this response:

Notice how he said, "there are a lot of customers waiting for the release."

So much for that "wasted" time emailing eCare... [/sarcasm]
  19. op12

op12 New Member

I still won't believe it 'til I see it, but it is reassuring that this appears to be their new standard response for this request (i.e. the response I got wasn't off-base). I'm just hoping to get it because there are several features that affect everyday usability (as opposed to just aesthetics or extras).
  20. tbhausen

tbhausen New Member

I get the sense that "WM6 Upgrade" is thought of as "WM5>WM6" rather than "WM6>WM6.1" in these responses.

Fingers crossed with cautious optimism but not holding breath...
    Todd/Indy