Who wants Windows Mobile 6.1 added to the Q??

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by adma, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

I submit that the era of Operating System upgrades (distinct from patches) for locked smart-type phones are a thing of the past. Too many customer service issues for the carriers to deal with - "Ok, sir - do you have the Q9 with or without the WM6.1 upgrade? What about our latest patch?"

This "simple" upgrade would add immeasurable costs to their customer service time and budget - there is NO reason they would do this without overwhelming pressure to do so, and when you consider that a vast number of smartphone users ONLY ever use the higher functionality of text messaging, many of their users could not care less.

I would love to upgrade my regulation Q to WM6, but am not going to hold my breath that this will EVER happen.

I hate to be negative, but I'd unsticky this thread as "whistling in the dark".
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

^ yeppers. Average Joe just wants to send txt, watch vids and be able to store "various things" on a easly removable card.

If the upgrade does happen it would need to be done "in house". Even then it may result in a large number of fancy paperweights
  3. ChemicalArts

ChemicalArts New Member

I'm not holding my breath for WM 6.1. Instead, I'm holding my breath for WM 6.2 ;) I'm just as likely to get an operating system that doesn't exist as the operating system that isn't released.
  4. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

to add fuel to the fire, Sprint tech rep said that Microsoft will be releasing screenshots and other propaganda soon for WM7....yes I said 7
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

hahaha
    who wants a Official WM7 Thread....
  6. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

ohh darn, almost forgot......

/instagating
  7. mulletmandan

mulletmandan New Member

A question: have you all done your civic duty and contacted eCare regarding this? Just send 'em a simple message saying you have heard that Microsoft will be releasing an update and that if Sprint cares about their customers they will pass along this update...just something simple.
  8. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

I have the Q1, Sprint wont update anything for the old one. I do ask about when WM6.1 will be released
  9. Marvelous Merv

No. It would be a waste of my time. It is not going to happen. Period.
  10. BIGHONDAMOPED123

BIGHONDAMOPED123 New Member

I dont think sprint is going to anything helpful but ill try
  11. adma

adma New Member

Then why are you threadcrapping? Sprint is releasing a new ROM for the mogul, so it IS possible. I doubt they will do it for the Q1.
  12. Marvelous Merv

I'm not "threadcrapping", I am keeping people from wasting their time. What Sprint did with the Mogul was essentially a patch NOT an operating system upgrade. Carrier patches will always be happening, and they are a good thing. But they are far from operating system upgrades, especially at the full number version level.
  13. miro

miro New Member

I certainly think that more confidence in Microsoft's updates would simplify the issue :wink:
    Seriously, how major of an update could a .1 release be? They've been good with regular updates for the Q... who knows.
    Everyone just call retentions, when an agent picks up the line, just say "Aaaanndrioooood" in your spookiest voice. They should get the point sooner than later! :laugh2:
  14. Marvelous Merv

Seriously, it would be a MAJOR commitment from the carrier. Every customer service tree would be, effectively doubled - you'd have an IMMEDIATE upswing in users who botched the upgrade, and from then on you'd have CSRs would would need to address multiple OS versions on the same phone - a carrier patch for 6.1 would need to be tested, distributed and supported in addition to users who would never take the incremental upgrade.
  15. mulletmandan

mulletmandan New Member

I don't want to criticize you, but in the time it took you to argue your point you could have written a concise note to eCare simply saying that you, as a customer, would much appreciate it if Sprint released the WM6.1 upgrade to its customers.

We all understand that it would be a long shot, but I feel that arguing about it is a moot point.
  16. Marvelous Merv

No, its a worthwhile argument to have. People shouldn't be purchasing Smartphones from Sprint or any other carrier with the expectation that their carrier will provide an OS upgrade.
  17. mulletmandan

mulletmandan New Member

You're missing the point. I certainly didn't purchase the Q9c from Sprint expecting an upgrade, but why not ask? I'm not expecting the upgrade, but at the same time I'm letting Sprint know that it would be nice of them to give their customers this upgrade to provide them with the latest functionality and to allow them to get the most out of their devices.

I certainly won't be disappointed if Sprint doesn't offer this upgrade, and I'll be honest, I'd be surprised if they did, but that isn't going to stop me from asking them about the upgrade.
  18. Spencer-Scott

Spencer-Scott New Member

this is getting annoying:angry::angry:
  19. mulletmandan

mulletmandan New Member

I agree. I'm done arguing. I've wasted my time enough as it is.
  20. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

* eats popcorn and watches *

@ spencer, free speach in action