Which Headset? Looking For Opinions

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by Guerrilla, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

Which Headset? Looking For Opinions

I need a new Bluetooth headset for my Q, but everyone I looked at I was able to find a review that mentioned it was either not compatible with the Q or sounded poor to the person on the other end.

So I'm looking for some opinions. Right now I've heard nothing but good things about the Platonics Voyager 510 and Aliph Jawbone. Does any one have any experience with these? Do they work well with the Q? Sound quality?

I ask because I did do a few searches of the forums, but couldn't find any information that agreed. Posts saying the Jawbone was great, but then some replies saying there are reports it doesn't play well with the Q consistently... etc. So any insight?

Thanks for any info :laugh2:
  2. goyleinlove

goyleinlove New Member

I purchased an Aliph Jawbone for the advertised superior noise cancellation. I realized almost immediately that there was a connectivity continuity issue. The headset would intermittently transfer the call to the phone itself in the middle of a conversation and would randomly reconnect. I hoped that I had a faulty bluetooth so I exchanged it for a replacement. The new headset had the same problem.

I begrudgingly returned the Jawbone because at that point it was useless to me. I have since gone back to my trusty Motorola H700 and have had no problems. My wife uses the Plantronics Bluetooth that you mentioned with her Q and she reports no problems.

On a side note the Jawbone noise cancellation was rather disappointing and I found it to be quite uncomforable to wear after even a short time of use. I also have heard since that the Jawbone has been a fairly widespread issue when regarding the Q.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you decide and how it works for you.
  3. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

Thanks for the confirmation on this issue. I'll look into the Voyager 510 a bit more since it's received some great reviews. Plus, it's $80 at my local Best Buy compared to the Jawbone's $120.
  4. breitt

breitt New Member

I'm using the same Bluetooth headset with the Q that I used with my Blackberry: the Jabra 250v. I tried many others before it and they all had connectvity or audio clarity problems. Even the Jabra 500v had problems. But the 250v is a workhorse that provides all the features a normal user would need, plus good audio quality.
  5. starbury1974

starbury1974 New Member

I am currently using the Cardo Scala 700 and there are NO complaints at all. It pairs perfectly..no volume issues..all functionalities are perfect and I finally got the headset that I can hear my ringtones in my ear. Check Amazon.com for good deals.
  6. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys :laugh2:
  7. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

I went ahead with the Voyager 510 and love it. It's extremely lightweight compared to my old H350. That H350 would hurt my ear and hang uncomfortably forcing me to stow it in my pocket and eventually lose it, Not the case with my new 510. It's sits on and in my ear with no problems.

The headset was discovered and paired immediately with no problems. The answer/end call button and call by voice works great with the Q as well. The receptions was the most impressive thing to me. I called a few people on cell phones and home phones for testing and everyone said they heard me loud and clear as if I was talking right into my phone and they sounded just as clear. No tunnel/far away sound effects on either end.

I haven't had any problems with dropped connections. I saw Rudeboy mention he used a 510 with no problems until he installed Candlelight, so I uninstalled that before testing. I'm going to try Candlelight later once I establish I good record with the headset just to see if it really does cause a problem.

All in all, it's a great headset and I'd highly recommend it.
  8. sdennislee

sdennislee New Member

Jabra JX10 and Cardo Systems S 800

I have had great success with the jabra JX10 and the Jabra BT250V. The JX10 has slightly better audio quaality than the 250V but not enough difference to justify the cost of the JX10. I have not experienced any connection issue with either set nor have I noticed any delays. The 250V requires me to speak slower when using voice dial than the JX10.

I have just preorderd the CardoSystems S 800 http://www.cardowireless.com/scalaproducts.php

I will post comments once I have had the opportunity to evaluate the features and qualities.
  9. fusion1

fusion1 Member

I'm on my second Motorola H700. First one wouldn't hold a charge, the second one they sent the wrong color but works fine so far. Waiting for the replacement in the right color.
  10. shaggymatt

shaggymatt New Member

I absolutely LOVE my Jawbone. I've had a few connectivity issues, but they were of my own doing. My father also has the Jawbone and likes it as well. The noise cancellation works flawlessly. I called my buddy who is also a cell phone geek. Noise cancellation on, with the stereo so loud in the car that I could barely hear myself talk. He didn't hear a thing except me. I turned it off, and he was astonished.

I have a Motorola HS850 sitting on my dresser at home that I could never get to stay in my ear.

Prior to that, I had a Plantronics 500 or something like that, which was very uncomfortable.
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

my vote goes to the Plantronics Voyager 510 also... had for 3-4 months now and it's been working great.

(only issue, but i seem to be the only one who has it is when i run CandleLight it keeps disconnecting..)
  12. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN New Member

Just got my new Motorola H800 yesterday, so far so good. I like the design and feel of it and the calls seem really clear.

My wife is the first one to point out if I sound muffled or like I'm on a speaker phone, I talked to her yesterday on a fairly windy walk to my vehicle from work and she never said a thing... that to me is a great sign :)

[​IMG]
  13. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

Yep, I have had zero issues with the Voyager 510 since I started using it. I haven't used it for months like Rude has, but I've used it constantly for the past week and the sound and range is excellent. It's a lovely headset.

Even through walls I can get to the 30 foot range and then go even further. At about 35 feet away from my phone I start to break up a little bit on the receiving end, but can still hear perfectly.

I haven't tried Candlelight with it yet. I keep meaning too, but never get around to it. Whether I can get it to work or not doesn't matter to me since even with Bluetooth on half the time I still get 2 days of battery life before I need to charge it. Even then I don't get the Low Battery window. That's on weekends. During the work week it spends a lot of time synced and charging anyway, almost always at full battery. This is all with the standard battery, too.
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

let me know if it causes disconnects or not... (if you do decide to install it)
  15. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

Will do! I'll try it this week.
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

cool... i'll be around here somewhere waiting :}
  17. thedov

thedov New Member

What do you mean by your own doing? I've been having connnectivity issues with my Jawbone. When I answer a phone call from the headset it goes to the phone. Yet I can still hang it up with the headset. Can this issue be fixed?
  18. sdennislee

sdennislee New Member

Scala 800 Headset

I just received notice that the Scala S 800 has been released and mine has been shipped. Should have it by Tuesday. i will post my review as soon as I am comfortable with the results.

See it here: http://cardowireless.com/S800/

Attached Files:

19. thedov

thedov New Member

Just got the Scala S-800 the other day. I'm not all too impressed. It does connect with my Q much better than the JawBone. However, the sound qaulity isn't even close. It's a small device, but it's too small. The buttons on this thing must have been designed for the cast of Willow. This is another case of trying to cram too much into something too small. The strange thing is, sometimes the sound is pretty good, other times it's terrible. Even when the phone is only a few feet from the headset. Also, the s-800 does not perform well at all in noisy enviroments. I tried talking to my buddy while driving in my convertible and he couldn't hear a thing. The headset is almost half the price of what the JawBone ran. Overall, it's worth the money.
  20. kathiec123

kathiec123 New Member

I use the plantronics 510 with no problems. I liked it so much that I even bought the charger/adaptor (can't think of the correct name right now) that turns my regular corded office phone into blue tooth capable!