Where to copy mp3's for text message alerts??

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by wingnut144, Apr 20, 2009.

1. GWL

GWL New Member

I have a Q9c (Alltel WM 6.1) and ran into MP3 (2000+ KB) files that just would not run as a ring tone. I gave up and went back to a 300K file and it ran again. For what ever reason my Q9c will not play large MP3 files as a ring tone. I have not experimented with increasing sizes to find the cut off, but my Q9c apparently has one.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

2000kb might be a bit much...i ran a 550kb on my Q9c without issue
    i would check out the hack location for the Q9h on the Q9c and see what the size is
  3. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

What I too thought BUT others say not. Dunno . . . :) -Q
  4. teeterbug

teeterbug New Member

Is there a way I can reduce the file of a song so I can use it as a ring tone?
  5. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Using an editor like Audacity (free) you can easily cut it down or edit it any way you wish. :) -Q
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

look in to audacity for the pc or vito ringtone editor which you can use on the Q
  7. teeterbug

teeterbug New Member

Is this user friendly? When I spoke to Verizon, they said they couldn't give support but it was possible to use MP3s as ringtones. I'm willing to try, but this is all new to me.
  8. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Bit of a learning curve but NOT rocket science. Fairly intuitive once you have the app. Google Audacity and download it, you'll get it, I'm sure. :) -Q
  9. teeterbug

teeterbug New Member

I was able to get this to work. I now just need to cut it so what I want to play plays. I wanted to let you know that as long as it's in a folder "my ringtones" either on the phone or on the card, it will work. I'm very excited. Thanks!
  10. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Cool beans! Now ya can get Audacity and get to work. Good luck. :) -Q
  11. teeterbug

teeterbug New Member

Yup. OOO exciting. How do I set different ringtones for different contacts?
  12. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Just open and "Edit" each and you'll see the "Ringtone" box. Works just like naming alerts, alarms, etc. :) -Q
  13. teeterbug

teeterbug New Member

I see it!!! Thanks
  14. teeterbug

teeterbug New Member

I downloaded this and was able to cut a song to be shorter but now it has their "announcement" throughout the song. I don't want to pay to register. Any suggestions how to get around this?
  15. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

There is a free version. I think you might have downloaded the pay version. Check again, I'm pretty sure there IS still a free version. :) -Q

Here it is: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
  16. spittingglass

spittingglass New Member

I don't know where you got that, but Audacity is free, always has been free, and always will be free. You don't need to pay for this software. If you downloaded it from some site other than the SourceForge site, I'd run a virus scan.
  17. GWL

GWL New Member

Audacity on Vista?

How is everyone getting Audacity to work on Vista? I have tried three downloads over the past two months. All return the error "This program has stopped working" every time It is started. I have installed and tried to run it in compatibility mode, but it still does not work.
  18. cindra

cindra Active Member

Works on Vista 32-bit for me. Cannot vouch for 64-bit though.
  19. teeterbug

teeterbug New Member

I downloaded the main one and when I was trying to figure out how to use it, I saw they had a program for ringtones. So, I downloaded that. Yes, the software was free to download and use, but for the ringtone program, it had their company name also in the audio.

I will play with the main version.
  20. GWL

GWL New Member

I must have some other incompatability then.:( Maybe some combination of OS and Video drivers.