Where is the GPS ???

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by phil_qc, May 7, 2008.

1. mexiken

mexiken New Member

She was kidding I'm sure, but that was my argument too, and no dice with the mods.
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

You can do a Google search, and I believe typing in, EverythingQ:(search term) will do it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Your "exact" location is indeed GPS, not the "my location" beta feature, which is cell tower triangulation. Trust me, it cannot be done on the Q9h. Well it can, but Google just doesn't have access to the API to interface with the radio to receive tower information.

No, nothing in the phone has rendered it useless. You're just mistaken on terms, which many people have done. Trust me, its been beat to death already. There is GPS on the Q Global, but no "My Location" via tower triangulation. The reason the app says that now is because the more recent versions have a little message that says so, the one you're encountering. I noticed it around version xx.18, and GM is now at .31
  4. Raderick

Raderick New Member

Then let me ask you this, how was I able to get my old Q9h to do it, and how can I do it now?
  5. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Dude, the man says it can't be done, you so sure it can, then talk to Google, maybe they changed it from the time you tried it.

Come on, I know she was kidding, so was I with her but not about what I said, its inefficient and mind numbing.
  6. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Im not going to keep arguing with you, this is just semantics. You're confused on what your phone can or can't do, and thats not your fault, its Google's for changing the terms on you. I will direct to you a post, and then PLEASE, stop asking....

And let me clarify, sorry, I messed up earlier. The only way it will change is if Google gets access to Windows Radio API/stacks. Its a very closely guarded item, and obviously Google and Microsoft are competitors in some product markets, so you can see why its a bit hesitant.
  7. Raderick

Raderick New Member

I was just wondering why I can't do something that I was able to do in the past. Not you're or my fault, and I wasn't trying to start an argument.
  8. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I understand. What I'm trying to tell you is that you're confused as to what you're phone was and was not doing before, and its because of an old term being used for something else.

Here is the link: http://groups.google.com/group/Goog...=en&lnk=st&q=google maps q9h#c6abea1f4359b38e

You'll see that virutally every WM5 and WM6 device does not support the "My Location (beta)" feature.
  9. piranah

piranah New Member

in your phone settings, make sure your location is set to on..
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Huh ???? What phone settings, are you talking of the Google ones or the device's ones ????
  11. piranah

piranah New Member

device.........
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Ok, I have to back up mexiken on this one. I have a Q9h and GPS works every single time I use it. Sometimes just takes time to initially fire up. You need to fire up GPS and establish a lock with satelite(s) BEFORE you can use My Location. If you have a Euro Q9h, as many of us know, GPS won't work.
  13. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I have no clue what you are talking about. There is no "my location" in "phone settings". I believe you are talking about settings in google maps, not phone settings.
  14. winterymix

winterymix New Member

Ok..reading through this I'm seeing some confusion on both parts. What the guy is concerned about is his phone not being able to "track" him anymore. It will still do that, my friend, the only thing u have to do is click the Use GPS. You do not have to click the "My Location"..and if you do, it wont work anyhow. So just make sure you click the USE GPS.. and then wait.. sometimes several minutes, while it hunts for satellites. My Q9h pinpoints me down to within a few feet and tracks VERY accurately once it's aquired 5+ satellites.
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

There are none on the Q Global, or the Q9h. Thats why you have to download GPSID. Thats the GUI that would be on the phones, but isn't. Someone got it from an SDK, and posted it for all. So thats the setting you should be changing, assuming you had it, which the OP doesn't. And even on there, it doesn't have a simple "on" setting. You change around some ports, and baud rates.
  16. mexiken

mexiken New Member

He's adament that the "My Location" feature worked before on his Q9, but it doesn't, never has. Its always been able to track you by pressing 0 once you're locked on. But now they replaced the 0 with the "My Location (beta)" feature, and its thrown many people off, particularily those with GPS and for whom the beta feature doesn't work.

I guess the easiest way to tell is, if you have a halo around your dot, you're using the triangulation. If you have a dot, its GPS. Simple as that, really.
  17. Raderick

Raderick New Member

I am pretty sure that it's a US version of the Q9h since it is AT&T branded and was locked in AT&T before I unlocked it.
  18. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Here we go again! Looks like the beginning of another 100 post thread. <_<
  19. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

i'm on mexiken's side too. i do believe you "THINK" it worked just as a lot of other people did. but what you thought worked isn't what you think.
  20. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

is that the over/under? whos in?