Where do they go?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by twelvetreeez, Mar 6, 2007.

1. twelvetreeez

twelvetreeez New Member

Where do they go?

Where do yoy put and how do you install third party programs?
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

you can install these programs anywhere you want to. the best place would be on an SD card to save space on the Q itself. you can install the files by putting the CAB file on the phone(using active sync), go to file manager and find the CAB file you just copied over. click on the file and install, if you have an SD it will ask you where you want to install it and select where you want it to go.
    you can also have an EXE file that you can start from your desktop computer to install the file, if you have this method just make sure your Q is connected to the Q with active sync.
  3. twelvetreeez

twelvetreeez New Member

So you dont have to put them in any specific folder?
  4. n99hockey

nope the CAB files can go anywhere...when the program installs it creates its on folders. and when your install is done you can delete the CAB files from your Q, but make sure you keep a copy of the CAB file on your computer should you need to reinstall or anything.
  5. twelvetreeez

twelvetreeez New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the help, is this your job or something? I have never had such good service in my life.
  6. n99hockey

haha no its not my job. just helping out fellow Q owners, glad i could help you out!! you will see that many of the posters here are very helpfull and willing to help with anything that they can. enjoy the site!!
  7. twelvetreeez

twelvetreeez New Member

Wait!

So all I need is the cab file dragged over to activesync, not the setup or the other file.I can just leave it on the initial screen? Also, your resume is quite impressive.
  8. twelvetreeez

twelvetreeez New Member

So tell me...

I haven't had 2 many problems with it. Only newby problems because I was a new user. Is this thing all it's cracked up to be? What are the differences in the newer Q's?
  9. n99hockey

my resume?
    the program came with a CAB file and EXE file? try using the CAB file first, that should contain everything you need. let me know if it works for you, if not then we can figure out another way.
  10. twelvetreeez

twelvetreeez New Member

Not creepy person.

Just clicked on your website to see who I was dealing with. Thanks, let me give it a try.
  11. n99hockey

oh haha...thanks!
  12. twelvetreeez

twelvetreeez New Member

Gave it a try

What I want to do is install candle light. I place the only files that came with it. One is an XML doc, and the other are simply labeled "candle 0" and "candle 1". When I open the XML, it connect to my browser with no option to instal. When I try to open the others they say, "There is no application associated with Candle-!". Run the application first and then open this file inside the application". Was I supposed to extract them on my PC before dragging them over in activesync? I did extract them already by the way, just wondering if that was the right thing to do.
  13. azdps

azdps New Member

CAB Files

*Don't mean to Butt in, mainly because n99hockey obviously knows his stuff, and humble about it too. But what I was going to also mention is that you can also go to related websites and download the CAB file from your phone to your phone providing it's for a Windows Mobile Smartphone ( Q Compatable ) and is indeed a CAB; vs zip, exe, etc.
    NOW thats probably what you guys were talking about vs P.C. thru ActiveSync to Q. ~ And if so, I'll shut up and go back to bed...:embarassed:
  14. n99hockey

azdps anyone is welcome to give there opinon and suggestions :smile:
    so you are trying to install candlelight...where did you get the files from (the website) ill take alook at them for you
  15. twelvetreeez

twelvetreeez New Member

No,No,No...Please do by all means!

Continue. Zip and exe aren't compatible?
  16. n99hockey

no they are compatible files its just they have to be smartphone compatable, its not the file type its the program being able to run on the Q...i am pretty surecandlelight is...show me the link you got it from
  17. twelvetreeez

twelvetreeez New Member

Man, humanity still exists!

If either of you ever come through my ER, I promise I will save your lives!!! I got the program off of this site. EverythinQ.com
  18. n99hockey

i cant find it on a search in the software section...can you put up the link for me?
  19. twelvetreeez

twelvetreeez New Member

Her it is.

Under "free software downloads" "system" second page at the very top. I just dowloaded the vista skin for media player with no problem
  20. n99hockey

i must be blind...lol i cant seem to find it. but i did a search online and found this... http://blogs.msdn.com/dennisq/archive/2006/08/28/728701.aspx
    click attachments you will see candlelight.cab...that is the only file that will download then copy that over to the Q and run it from the file manager...let me know!