When should I update?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by herofromsomeday, Mar 22, 2007.

1. qnoob

qnoob New Member

if you're using / used the motorola update(r) software from the moto site, your PC will alert you if there's a new update when you plug your Q in.
  2. shadowmite

shadowmite New Member

Verified, this is not a new update, same one from 3/15 or around there... Sprint that is...
  3. kellenbence

kellenbence New Member

Update

I've worked with computers a long time. If its not broken dont fix it trust me on that one. update...smupdate... :tounge:
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i hear that!!
  5. cash459

cash459 New Member

any way to install/run the update and keep everything already on the phone? in an easy way, without too many headaches?? thanks!
  6. n99hockey

sorry when you run the update it will wipe out the phone...best way to do it would be to use spriteback up and back up the Q before running the update...this way you can just put everything back in 1 function
  7. cash459

cash459 New Member

ok, im a super noob, so what is spriteback up?? and how do i get it. I already put in a lot of work to customize my phone with ringtones and phonebook and dont wanna have to start all over....any help suggestions would be great! thanks!

p.s. can i just transfer everything to my sd card?
  8. n99hockey

you can move them to the card since the registry will be wiped and you would have to reinstall....you get sprite back up in the software section of this site....
    you contacts and calendar will sync right back to the Q assuming that you have synced the phone already...
  9. cash459

cash459 New Member

ok, yes, i have sync'd the phone already...sooo...this is what i should do (correct me if im wrong)

1. Download sprite back up from the software section
    2. Run that program and transfer all my info to the sd card?
    3. Install and run update
    4. Upload info from sd card?
    5. good as new?
  10. n99hockey

almost....
    when you run sprite back up and save the data...save it to your desktop computer...your not transfering anything to the SD card....anything on your SD card will not be affected...and to make sure that is the case...after you back up remove the card prior to doing the update...and once its complete put the card back in
  11. cash459

cash459 New Member

sweet!! thanks!
  12. cash459

cash459 New Member

any ideas as to where the contacts are located if im browsing through ActiveSync?? i dont wanna have to re-input all of them or lose any. thanks!
  13. n99hockey

if you synced them to your pc then when you go to sync again after the update they will go right back on the phone
    good luck!
  14. cash459

cash459 New Member

ok, i get that part, but im trying to find them in active sync, so that i can sync them to my PC or sd card, so that i can then do the update...i think im a little lost/confused here :frown:
  15. n99hockey

there is nothing to find...if you sync your Q with outlook and your contacts are in outlook then there is nothing to worry about...not to mention that sprite will back those up too....but if you use outlook to sync your contacts and they are on your computer in outlook they will still be there after you run the Q update