What's this?? "The layout you have selected cannot be..."

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by SandyM, Sep 24, 2007.

1. SandyM

SandyM New Member

What's this?? "The layout you have selected cannot be..."

Oh crap. I've done something to my Q and now it's hosed. First of all, I get this white screen that states "The layout you have selected cannot be l....". When I hit the start button to get into settings, nothing happens, just the white screen with the same error message. Sometimes it says "Data Call" on the white screen too. I have downloaded Facade software but my Q was working fine for a couple days, and now this. Real bummer if I have to do a hard reset since I've been download fun apps from this forum for 3 weeks. Receive calls fine, however.

Oh, it won't sync anymore either.

Thanks for the help!
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard.. it means there is an error in the .xml code. make also sure you have both the color scheme and background on default..
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

also...if you are running facade and its on your SD card and you pull out the card and then try to continue to use it might give you that error message

but try a soft reset first and see if that helps
  4. piranah

piranah New Member

I keep getting this screen error as well, my homescreen will work for about 10 minutes then go to this screen. Is smart monitor known to do this?
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

odd... i haven't used Smart Monitor so dunno.
  6. piranah

piranah New Member

Well i took smart monitor off my phone and put the regular icon bar up, lets see if it does anything
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yeah, keep is posted.. curious to see what could have caused this.
  8. intheriver

intheriver New Member

I have been experiencing this as well. I read that it might have to do with using homescreens and other applications without unlocking applications on your phone. I am using a modified version of the pearl homescreen from sbsh.net Facade resources forum (this includes smartmonitor). I noticed that the same person who developed this homescreen also created an iphone homescreen and he has a link in that thread that says if you are getting this lyaout cannot be displayed white screen, you should unlock the applications on your phone. from the first post for his iphone screen (creater is watlzb) you can follow the link from that post to a walkthrough on making the applications unlocked. I had done this last night, and while still early, I have not experienced the white "layout cannot be displayed" screen.

If I do get the whitescreen back I will make sure to update this post.
  9. piranah

piranah New Member

I took the Smart Monitor off and have not had a white screen in 18 hours, pretty happy. My phone is app unlocked, so I know thats not the problem, also I have used WaltzB's iphone theme and did not get any errors like that. I think it was that i had the battery and signal strengths in percentages instead of the regular bar form..
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

odd.. did you happen to inform the developer of Smart Monitor ? he might want to know this.. if this was truly was causing the issue.
  11. intheriver

intheriver New Member

Never mind, I just got the "white screen of death" again.
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

darnit.. any other 3rd party software you installed lately that could be the culprit ? which home screen do you use ?
  13. intheriver

intheriver New Member

Im using a customized version of walzb's Pearl. Uses smartmonitor, sliclock, orange, fizzweather, and I am also using the black soft keys.

Even without it customized there were some folks on sbsh saying they were getting this error as well. I am also believing as somone posted up above that it might be smartmonitor, but I have my battery and cell signal set up as beer mugs that the amount of beer in the mugs depends on how strong the signal or battery life is, and I would hate to get rid of them.

I reallly would not be able to pinpoint it just off of software installed as I have many apps and reg edit customizations.
  14. xghostx

xghostx New Member

def the smartmonitor. i have been trying to install pah vista and have been having problems with the homescreen just freezing. so i installed each cab seperate and after i installed smart monitor it froze once again. i have been looking for maybe another cab for the moto q. i have tried 2 now to no avail.
  15. KOOLWATER

KOOLWATER New Member

Hello all,

I've recently been sent a new (or refurbished) Q from Asurion. After I re-installed all of my apps, I noticed that I now have this "whitescreen of death problem" This Q is the latest build so... any suggestions?

Oh, and I do not use smartmonitor and my facade build is the latest with the pocketweather homescreen plugin.
  16. The Tempest

The Tempest New Member

I installed AOL's My Mobile Beta and after it being as slow as molasses to the point I couldn't stand it I uninstalled it after about 5 minutes of use. I really wanted a free AIM client and wanted something better than slick. After I uninstalled it and went back to my home screen I got the same thing you are describing. Tho after a reboot it came back to normal.
  17. berger1980

berger1980 New Member

Finally...

I finally found this thread. I am having the same issue with my Q9c. Data Call, white screen. It seems to happen when it switches from tower to tower, like something isn't transitioning correctly. I don't use any Facade or anything fancy like that. I'm using SEVEN Sprint Layout, Compound color scheme, and Vista Dock. But like I stated, it only seems to do it in low-signal, or tower transitions, so I dunno, it's annoying, but a power cycle takes care of the problem.
  18. kfsinc

kfsinc New Member

The layout...........

is stuck on mine also.

Q9, black version, running Facade and nothing else. May have a memory overload from lots of texts, but can't check. Facaed is device based. Removing mem card has no effect.

On re-boot, I get the Layout error message, then it shows active Alarms, but the kayboard is frozen/locked so I can't do anything. Incoming calls create a loop between the alarm screen and the incoming call screen, but I can't answer the call.

When connecting to the laptop, Sync starts, then fails when trying to connect to the Q.

Several re-boots and no progress.

I'd like to avoid the hard reset if I can.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

kfs
  19. rachris2

rachris2 New Member

I switched from the Q9m to the SMT5800 last week. Never had this problem with my Q, but I've gotten a LOT of them on the 5800. They seem to happen when I select a background/theme that's anything other than the default. As long as I stick with the Guava theme/background, for instance, I don't have a problem.

HTH...
  20. sk8term2

sk8term2 New Member

i cant evan do anything it has that message i cant evan go to the start button how do i do a hard reset