Whats the point of IMAP if I cant get the created folders on my Q?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by Wheelman, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Wheelman

Wheelman New Member

Whats the point of IMAP if I cant get the created folders on my Q?

Anybody find a workaround for this? My Q is setup to get mail via wireless sync using my imap email account but it doesnt see any of the subfolders I create in outlook. :angry:
  2. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

This has been mentioned a few times recently, so you may want to check those older threads for additional info.

With your inbox open on your Q, go to Menu-->Folders-->Menu-->Manage Folders, and it should bring up a list showing all folders - you just need to set each specific one to Sync or Don't Sync.
  3. Wheelman

Wheelman New Member

That option is greyed out on my Q9 :(
  4. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Maybe because you're using Wireless Sync? If so, is there any place the change the settings in Wireless Sync (either on your Q on on your Wireless Sync webpage) to sync specific folders?

Or maybe you could just up your email account on the Q directly, instead of having the email run through Wireless Sync?
  5. cheechsweet

cheechsweet New Member

didn't pay for the data plan

I don't need email more than once a day when I sync thru the usb so I didn't pay for the Verizon data plan to set up directly on the Q (Q9c in this case). Did anyone ever have a workaround for this? The imap account is a separate folder from the inbox, not a subfolder, so it doesn't show up in the manage folders of the ActiveSync or the Q itself.
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

you do realize that you are going to get charged per KB for using email if you dont have a data plan right?
  7. cheechsweet

cheechsweet New Member

yeah, but i'm not sending email via the phone. do i get charged for syncing it from outlook to review?
  8. n99hockey

no but if you have an imap account and you check email with that on the device without active sync it uses data

or are you just using active sync with the data cable?
    if so then you just select the folders you want to sync in active sync
    click on email hit settings and pick the folders you want
  9. sherri

sherri Active Member

I'm confused. If the e-mail is on the outlook account on the pc, why would you sync that message onto the phone for review? Isn't it easier to review & reply from pc?
  10. cheechsweet

cheechsweet New Member

maybe, maybe not. at present, it's not convenient to be in front of the computer except in the mornings & evenings, so i want the emails on the phone to go thru when i'm on the go. maybe i'll end up getting a data plan, i dunno:foot:...however, the point is that most of my email comes thru a university account, which shows up on outlook as a separate folder from the email folder that syncs to the phone & i can't figure out how to get the phone to see & sync that phone.
  11. cheechsweet

cheechsweet New Member

yeah, i'm just syncing withe the data cable & the folder i want doesn't show up in the settings of activesync. it only shows "inbox, junk mail, sent items".
  12. n99hockey

did you follow my instructions on how to sync other folders?

-Sent from my Q9c
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

is the folder a "server" folder...or a "personal" folder on the hard drive?