What's the Difference Between mAh Ratings of Bateries?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by winotree, Sep 29, 2007.

1. winotree

winotree New Member

What's the Difference Between mAh Ratings of Bateries?

Have been reading (here and elsewhere) regarding the lithium ion batteries used in electronic devices and am getting a real education this afternoon; however, I can not find (other than longer life) what is the difference between the standard 1130 mAh and the 2200 mAh batteries, for example. By this I mean does one have 25% or 50% more power than the other considering "normal use". How am I to inerpret the mAh other than longer life as mentioned...guess I just a different set of numbers to visualize, and to rationalize my intended purchase!

Comments welcome and accepted in advance.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

the larger the battery mah number the more power it holds
  3. winotree

winotree New Member

Yes, sir...that is understood. But WHAT is the difference? If the number 2200 is approximately twice that of 1130, is it 50% more powerful or only 5%. OK?
  4. regression

regression New Member

If a battery is rated at 1130 mAh it means it can pull 1130 milli-amps for one hour or 1 milli-amp for 1,130 hours. So you can do the math on the batteries.

In your example, the 2200 mAh battery will have about twice the capacity of the 1130 mAh battery. But of course, that is in a perfect world. Temperature, number of charge / discharge cycles, battery age, etc all factor into how well a battery will perform.

Hope that helps,
    David
  5. yakkamut

yakkamut New Member

battery compatibility

I'm curious to know the compatability between the different maH ratings of batteries and my phone. If my phone, for example, came with a 600maH battery, could I substitute a 700maH battery in its place without risking damage to the phone?

thanks

yakkamut
  6. regression

regression New Member

Nope, that won't damage your phone. the mAh rates the capacity of the battery. The higher the mAh, the longer it will last. You just need to make sure the voltages match. That will damage your phone if you put a battery with a high voltage than the phone is expecting.