What's the best software for getting TV?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Jride, Dec 13, 2006.

1. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Good Info. So the picture and sound are good enough to make it all worth it right?
  2. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Subjective

Well, both "good enough" and "worth it" are too subjective. :wink: I like gadgets, so I wanted to check the Slingbox out. I didn't think I'd get much use out of it, though, so the original $250 price was too much. When it dropped to $150, that's when I got mine.

I haven't used it that much, so I doubt I've gotten $150 worth of entertainment from it, but that wasn't the point for me. The things that I have watched have been OK. If my cable signal was no better than the Slingbox, I'd be mad, but for Internet streaming video, it's pretty good.

And the new boxes are supposed to be better.

Steve
  3. CMantis

CMantis New Member

Has anyone used VLC to stream tv? My tuner card won't work with orb and so I am trying to get VLC to work. I can get it to stream but am having trouble getting it to open with wmp or tcpmp. Any suggestions on encapsulation method or codecs that are supported? Thanks.
  4. ximpostrxx

ximpostrxx New Member

i have called VZW about this, if you use over 5GB in a month they think something suspicious is going on and they terminate your contract, they later charge you the $200 termination fee!
  5. Klaus

Klaus New Member

I have had my Q for about a week and set up Orb on my Windows Media Center computer. It works great for the most part however when streamed to the Q it constantly buffers and is choppy. I noticed pretty low KB/sec speeds too. On my laptop it works great with no chop so I don't think it's a problem on the WMC computer.

Anyone have advice for streaming to the Q using Verizon? Are there any updates to media player etc I might be missing?
  6. jsong123

jsong123 New Member

Can I check on monthly use?

Thanks for this information. Does anyone happen to know how to check on how much has been transferred towards this 5GB limit?
  7. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

#data (#3282)

I am not sure its always up to date though. I just called and it said zero kb usage and I know I have some.
  8. ximpostrxx

ximpostrxx New Member

check on the website or #3282
  9. Akakios

Akakios New Member

Ok, I've gone over the entire post and have 1 question about slingbox and one about VZW.
    When out and about with the Q and you decide to watch some tv on it. If I'm not happy with the channel that's on and I change it, will I get a call from the wife yellin at me cause I changed the channel she was watching at home?! Or will it only change the channel on the phone and leave the TV at home alone?
    About VZW.. I was reading last week and saw VZW is now offering TV on their phone service (don't think it was for the Q though) But does anyone have that and what do you think. I know it's not available in all areas yet.
    Thanks in advance!
  10. Akakios

Akakios New Member

I took the risk and got Handitv for my Q. Waste of money in my opinion. Video and Audio is pretty choppy most of the time. It's tolerable at times if I'm super bored, but over all not very impressed.
  11. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

If you have your slingbox hooked up to the same cable or satellite box your wife is watching at home then yes you will change the channel on her. I would suggest getting an extra cable box to hook your slingbox up to so you will have one soley for your slingbox. That is what I have done and it works great.
  12. rockinone

rockinone New Member

Tv and Sprint

I have read the posts here and none of them mention Sprint and tv. I recently got a Q from Sprint and am thinking about the slingbos setup wth it. Does anyone know if it works with it?
    By the way - these forums have been invaluable for me in figuring out this gadget that I thought I could not live without! This is my first pda/smartphone - I have always relied on just the regular phone and my laptop. I am very slowly learning the Q and think that I am going to enjoy it. I hope!
  13. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

I don't have Sprint, but I can't think of any reason why a slingbox setup would not work for you. In fact I am sure it would. Just make sure you have the unlimited data plan.
  14. meredwine

meredwine New Member

Can someone tell me more about this 'sling thing'? sounds interesting. does it cost alot? how is it on your battery? Long to download? Sounds too good to be true...
  15. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Slingbox AV will run you about 130 to 150. Slinbox Pro runs about 180 to 220. The setup is pretty easy. There is no monthly fee involved. You do need high speed internet on your home PC. Check out thier website. I think its www.slingmedia.com
  16. meredwine

meredwine New Member

thanks! also, does anyone have any suggestions on an alternative to having Outlook? i really don't want to purchase it - i was hoping motorola phone tool would be my way out but it doesn't recognize the Q phone. Ain't that a $^*(%!
  17. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Start a new thread about it. People will help you out.