What's the best software for getting TV?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Jride, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Ztr5

Ztr5 New Member

The Upsides to the Slingbox is... generally good reception, you se the same cable package as whatever you have at home, no extra fees, and the slingbox is wired right into you TV setup so you dont have to mess around with the wiring. The slingbox is also built mainly for PC access aswell so if you have a laptop, its a very nice thing to have when traveling and it uses the full potential of your digital cable or satelite (i.e. OnDemand, recorded shows, so on...).

I havent used Orb but from what I can tell it requires your computer to remain on and functioning properly, you need a media card which unless you want to mess around with wiring, you will need to have get a nice card which incorporates your cable and then passes it through to your TV.

I think if your willing to send the money for the slingbox it is your best bet.
  2. knine

knine New Member

Guys please, before posting a reply read the question. "What's the best software for getting TV?" The question was about software not hardware.<_<
  3. loders

loders New Member

None really. If you don't go with slingmedia or orb, you pretty much have a limited amount of programming available and nothing live (that I know of). I have pocket tv but you have to download media and watch it. Most other software are just players and some have exclusive content but, if you really want to watch tv like you would while sitting in your livingroom, then there is no software for that right now. You need hardware along with the software.
  4. knine

knine New Member

So programs like handitv are a waste of money?
  5. Jride

Jride New Member

I been talking to people about the software options and essentially they answer is either that they have limited content and quality or are garbage all-together. I, myself, am probably going to go the Sling Box route. :gasp:
  6. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

Have any of you Slingbox users had any reprimands from VZW?
  7. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Streaming Charges

I haven't, but I don't use it on my Q that much. I've heard that Verizon doesn't much care if you're violating the "no streaming" part of your contract unless you hit 5-10 GB.

Steve
  8. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

I broke down in one of the other forums on here bout the 5 GIG limit. I think thread was called family plan.

As far as HandiTV....I use it regularly. The other day I watched the report as Saddam was hung...STREAMING LIVE ABC NEWS. It is also gonna depend a lot on how much signal strength you have. ESPN also streamed. However, a lot of programs had snip-its that were prerecorded for it and were just changed every week.

-Adam
  9. loders

loders New Member

I watch Hockey games (off during intermissions) and newscasts (30min) every week and some random shows sometimes...that's about 10hours of streaming data per week and I'm still well under 1GB for the month.
  10. afl_storm

afl_storm New Member

How does it work

So let's so I go and get the Slingbox AV for $180 and then what?
    I am looking at it but I want to make sure it is worth the money!
    Thanks
  11. loders

loders New Member

You can probably find it for around $150. How often have you wished you could be watching the football/hockey/baseball/basketball game but had to be somewhere not near a television. I have a broadband PC card for my laptop and it is cool to watch baseball games while relaxing on the beach. Now with my Q, I don't need to boot up my laptop. Get the extended battery or extra regular batteries. I just about go through a regular battery for a hockey game.
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Then What?

Then you hook it up to your PVR (Tivo, Replay, whatever) and your network, install the software on your PC to configure it, get the Smartphone version of SlingPlayer Mobile (you may have to pay $30), install it on the Q and watch your PVR.

Steve
  13. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

How fast of a internet connection do I need on my PC at home for slingbox to work efficiently? DSL? what speeds?

Just to clarify, I need internet access at my home and the data plan on my phone right? That is a lot of cash each month. :smile: But March madness is coming up and it would be sweet to watch the games at work on my Q. ( I may have to edit this post later...:tounge: )
  14. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I have the slingbox setup so I can help you out. You do need highspeed access at home. The better upload speed the better picture you will get. I forget what the reccomend but I would say at least 300kbs.

The way it works is the box hooks up to your cable box/Tivo/DVR and to your internet. Now you can run your TV from your phone or computer just as if you were at home on the couch. I split the screen and watch games at work. I watched the World Cup with American coverage from Germany I even had to watch the OSU - Michigan game on my phone.

So in short, yes you need data plan on the phone and high speed at home. If you already have both then it is a one time purchase - no monthly cost. Also keep in mind officially streaming TV would be against your agreement with Verizon (had to say it).
  15. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

So I can put my extra Sattelite receiver and slingbox next to my computer hook it all up and away I go?
  16. troutseth

troutseth Guest

In my office I have cable to box, box to sling, IR blasters on the box and my laptop is my screen. Didn't even need another computer or TV tuner.

so yes
  17. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

IR blasters?

Thanks for the info.
  18. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Upload Speeds

My Charter High-Speed Internet is 3 mbps down, but only 256 kbps up. I'm able to watch on my phone or laptop. The picture and sound aren't perfect, but they're definitely watchable.

Steve
  19. troutseth

troutseth Guest

They come with the sling. It is the method by which you can control the cable box. It is a cable with a little IR bulb at the end that sits next to your Infra red input on the box. That way the sling acts like your remote.
  20. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

No Computer Necessary

Actually, you don't need a PC at all on the Slingbox side. I have my Replay Audio/Video Out hooked to my Slingbox Audio/Video In and the Slingbox hooked to my router.

I also have the IR blasters connected to the Slingbox and pointed at my Replay. (IR blasters are just IR emitters attached to a cord to allow one device to control another device remotely -- like your IR remote does. Without them, you'd only be able to watch one channel -- whatever you left the device tuned to.)

Steve