What's the best software for getting TV?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Jride, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Jride

Jride New Member

What's the best software for getting TV?

Hi all,
    I'm trying to decipher what the best software is for getting TV on my Q. I'd love your suggestions.

There's MobiTV, HandiTV, PocketStreamer, m-Vision, etc.

Which would you suggest?
    What'd you pay?
    How's the stream?
    Easy to download and find media?
    Good variety of content?

and finally...

Where's the beef!?

Thanks guys and gals,
    Jride:wink:
  2. Jride

Jride New Member

No takers??? I'm really interested in this folks so if you have any input that would be fantastic.
  3. loders

loders New Member

I use slingmedia. If you have cable or satellite tv at home just hook up a slingbox to it and watch anything you would normally watch at home...dvr, on demand, whatever.
  4. diveman54

diveman54 New Member

I use sling too. it is the best thing I have ran into for watching tv on the Q.:smile:
  5. Jride

Jride New Member

I've actually been looking into sling. My buddy is using pocketstreamer right now and doesn't particularly care for it. In fact, it seems like most of the software out there doesn't really offer alot of media choices and thus aren't so attractive. I think I'm going to go the way of a slingbox very soon. Thanks for your input!
  6. wmscottmc

wmscottmc New Member

7. Jride

Jride New Member

8. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I am a slingbox user! I watched the whole OSU-Michigan game on my Q
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Sling User

I'm a Slingbox user, too, but I can't imagine watching a game that I really cared about (like Michigan/OSU) on the Q. The screen is too small. I watched part of the USC-Cal game (I think) on the Q, but it's not something I'd do if I had a choice.

Steve

P.S. Too bad Michigan got robbed by the BCS. :angry::angry::angry: GO BLUE!
  10. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Flash Recorders

That looks similar to the Neuros recorders. Check out our Neuros 2 review at pocketnow.

There's a Neuros 2+ out now that does 3GP recording (like the Q's video camera). pocketnow gave a couple of them away last month, too.

The obvious problem with those is that you can't watch live TV. If you're going to record a movie or something to watch on the road, they might be great for that, though.

Steve
  11. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I hate that school up north, but you did get robbed. I had no choice, I was in the car...I am just glad I could watch it at all!
  12. jeremyforfilm

jeremyforfilm New Member

Slingbox??

What the hell is Sling media, and what is a slingbox??
  13. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Sling?

The Slingbox is a device for sending video from your home over the Internet so you can watch it on your PC or other devices. What VCRs did for timeshifting, Sling thinks they can do for "placeshifting".

Check out the Sling Web site.

Steve
  14. dwaner

dwaner New Member

I use this fantastic free program called orb. You need to have a tv tuner card installed in your home pc, and hooked up to your cable or dish tv. I have been using it for several months now and it works great. You can also access all of your media files and webcams as well. www.orb.com
  15. Suture

Suture New Member

I tried PocketStreamer and asked for a refund the next day. The sources available were very, very limited. 90% of them were worthless I'd say, as they wouldn't even interest someone to tune in. The software worked fine, I'll say that -- but there just wasn't any decent content.
  16. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Orb

I've heard lots of good things about Orb. However, it's not perfect.

The problem with Orb is that you need that tuner card to watch live TV (unless what you want is on the Internet TV stations). Those tuners are generally cheaper than a Slingbox, but have two problems -- you have to keep your PC on all of the time and they won't work with USB.

I keep my laptop on almost all of the time, so that's not a big deal. However, Orb requires a real card, not USB tuners, so you can't use it with a laptop -- unless things have changed.

If you want to check Orb out on your Q, go to http://test.orb.com.

Steve
  17. Jride

Jride New Member

Hmm, this sounds like a very interesting option...:2cool:
  18. qwho

qwho New Member

I tried orb on an older tuner and it wasn't supported. I also don't like to keep my main pc on all day because it heats up the room too much. So I figured I would get the slingbox AV for use with my pda I had at the time. It worked so well, but I had to be in a wifi hot spot to use it. So when i was phone shopping I picked the Q so that it would work with my slingbox, and now it works great. And I didn't have to buy the mobile software twice, even though they said you have to have a key for each install. I just used the same key for both the Q and the PDA version.

I recomend the slingbox because it seems like it is the least headaches for the most gain. Also, with the AV you can not only place shift, but you can timeshift as well, as my tivo recorded shows are now accessible to me anywhere I have cell service. Even if the cell service isn't enough for quality tv, you can set it for audio only and still get really good sound. By the way, slingbox also is just the price of the box and the price of the mobile software, there are no monthly charges. So it is about 200 all together.
  19. knine

knine New Member

So what is the best software?
  20. Jride

Jride New Member

Hahaha, good question.