What's the Best Digi-Camera?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Geekster, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Geekster

Geekster New Member

What's the Best Digi-Camera?

We're looking for a good Digi-camera. Cheaper the better but still want a good quality camera (Don't want to pay thousands of $$ for one). Really doesn't need a dock station b/c USB/card readers are always quick, too.
    Looking for:

Good shoots in low light.

Red Eye "reduction technology" (The one I'm using now I have to put pix's through Paint Shop/Photo Shop to fix red eye, 99% of the time!)

Digital or Optical Image Stabilization

And Rechargeable Batteries (That I can buy at the store and not the camera makers high priced replacement batteries, if possible.)

What is your opinion on the best "Average Joe" camera out there for the amateur shooter with pictures that will "blow me away"?

TIA
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i am really digging my Canon Powershot 600SD, it's my second Canon (first one was a 410 i believe) it's a good camera for a decent price imo..

ok, it does not use batteries you can buy at the store on the corner (unless that store on the corner is an Canon dealer/reseller :}
  3. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

My Wife uses a Canon Rebel SLR. Its about 3+ years old now and only a 6.3 mpixel. But, I recently picked up an Extreme III 4 gig card for here and it makes a huge difference. She's got a few nice lenses to go with it and takes some amazing shots. From Whale Watches to pics of her Reef tank corals. Low light, bright light, doesn't matter.

Now, it was an expensive camera when I purchased it, but they've come way down in price. $400 for the camera then upwards with lenses.

Now, are you looking for a "Point and Click" or something more than that? Check out http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ for some of the best prices. That's where I order my stuff from.

I'll side with Rudeboy, the Canon's that I've used have always produced nice shots, with minimal "Photography Knowledge".
  4. As much as I hate Canon, I got my sis in law the canon powershot 1000. Great little camera. I got it from www.bhphoto.com for around 240.00 with a case and a 1g ultra II SD card.

Off topic, I just got a 850.00 lens for my olympus digital camera.
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

Tiger Direct currently has a Canon Powershot SD1000 for $199.99 (incl. a 1Gb card and case)
  6. Geekster

Geekster New Member

AHHHHHH!...RB! You went shopping for me!!!!!!! (I was going to say something cutesy here but neither one of us would live it down!!!)

Thanks, but not really want we are looking for (I really, really want "red eye reduction" thing). When you have several hundred pix's to fix it gets real old real fast! Someone told me to look at the OLYMPUS EVOLT E-510 SLR but that's a little pricey! Going to try Ebay & check out what they have to offer. But first going to follow Der Alta's and Tony's leads!
    Thanks everyone for you help in this, & open to any other suggestions/ideas!
  7. The 410 is olympus 510 without the image stabilization.
    I own the E-500 which is older, but comes with two terrific lenses. You may get a great deal on that.
    In reference to redeye, its because flashes on cameras are too close to the lens and it causes the red eye effect. Red eye reduction flash modes are annoying. Best bet, buy photoshop elements, and when images are loaded into the computer, it automatically removes redeye.

check here for the most info.....www.dpreview.com
  8. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Thanks, Tony (Der Alta)
    I went to www.bhphoto.com & the prices are good, but the selling point is that 2 forum members recommend it so it must have a good service record. I really am leaning toward that camera more and more. Even watched 2 video's about it (one was from CDW). Instead of getting a camera "right this minute" it will now have to wait for a couple of paychecks. No big deal there, either. Just more overtime, lack of sleep, and me getting ''cranky"! :tounge: But in the meantime, if something else does catch anyone's fancy, plz let me know.
  9. If you are photographing kids, nothing beats the quality of a DSLR.....just hold the shutter down and capture the pics....no delay.
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

and this is how ya leave me hanging... great ;]
  11. DrQ

DrQ New Member

You're right about the shutter delay cr**p on a lot of digitals. I've used the Canon Rebel since it first came out and just bought the 10MP body and loving it but might be a bit much for the OP.
    I also use a Nikon S6 as it turns on in less the .5 seconds, has virtually no delay taking fast moving pics, is small enough for the pocket in my jeans and has a 3x optical zoom that is internal and doesn't poke out of the front of the camera. Great 6mp camera when I don't want to lug the DSLR around. (tiny with great optics)
  12. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Hey, thanks guys! I didn't know what the hell you were talking about! So I went out and did a major search. It's been years since I was serious about photography, and my brain is having "firework flashbacks"! (Yeah, I knew that, I know that, I forgot about that.... kind of thing!) Even read where sometimes manufacturers will build the digital cameras to fit existing film camera lenses (Got to be the same maker). I don't know if the lenses off my old Olympus is-3 dlx will fit the Evolt 510 but it sure would be great, wouldn't it? I have 5 lens, Hoya filter, Cokin Cromofilters, etc. that I used a lot & I stopped because, oh, .............just because.
    Thanks guys...your input on this is helping me a lot whether you realize it or not.
  13. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

just avoid the low end HP models, I have one (unfortunately). The picture quality rivals that of my daughters Princess Barbie camera.
  14. The lens should fit, however you cannot use autofocus with them. Olympus developed an all digital lineup a few years back with the cameras. For instance, on Nikon and Canon, you move a switch on the lens to control manual or autofocus. Olympus lens are designed to get that information from the camera. Its more technical then I explained.
    If you want to see some shots I took with the E-500 regular lenses....go to cadguru.smugmug.com

Also the E-410 with 2 lenses is 444.00 at Sam's Club. This model is small and doesn't have image stabilization.
  15. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Yeah, I know. I have low end Kodak that suxs in low light. It suxs in broad daylight, too. And room pix with floresent (sp) light is terrible. It just basically suxs all around. Still leaning toward the E 510 but still reading and researching other camera's in that price range. Thanks....
    (Barbie camera-huh? At least you have a back up if yours stop working!) jk!!!!!
  16. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Also the E-410 with 2 lenses is 444.00 at Sam's Club. This model is small and doesn't have image stabilization.[/quote]

I think I need the stablization. Me not as steady as I used to be, expecially if I'm laughing at something & trying to get a good shot. It just ain't gonna happen. Good price, tho on the E-410. Checked and they don't have the E 510. You have been a big help and I thank you.
    OH!! I went to your photo site. Dang, there are a lot of very good pictures there. You are a good photographer!!!
  17. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

i would rather use an etch-a-sketch than that :)

I am looking forward to your eventual decision and review, I too need something decent but not too expensive
  18. Geekster

Geekster New Member

I have tried to respond to this several times and have deleted every one of them. One did have something in there about GF and painting toe nails but I just couldn't go thru with it. Can you use your imagination? :laugh2:
  19. I think I need the stablization. Me not as steady as I used to be, expecially if I'm laughing at something & trying to get a good shot. It just ain't gonna happen. Good price, tho on the E-410. Checked and they don't have the E 510. You have been a big help and I thank you.
    OH!! I went to your photo site. Dang, there are a lot of very good pictures there. You are a good photographer!!![/quote]

Thanks... I will be rooting for state monday. I always pulled for michigan, but now with RR as coach, to hell with Michigan.
  20. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Well, after a long delay of being indecisive all this time between the Olympus E 510 and the Canon XTi I decided on the Olympus E 510. I was this |..| close buying the Canon when I read a review where they are having trouble with the camera hanging when ppl use the built in flash. And when ppl called Canon's tech support about the problem some of the CSR's were rude. Life is too short to be arguing with a tech person over a camera.
    Plus with an adapter I can use my the lens from my Olympus 35mm film camera with this camera.
    Got a good deal on it today (they are discontinuing the 510) & now have more money for more goodies for it.
    Thanks everyone for all the help.