What's the best backup software

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by darkcyber, Jan 27, 2007.

1. darkcyber

darkcyber New Member

What's the best backup software

What is the best backup software to use with my Motorola Q? Thought about using Sprite, but been reading about some unhappy experiences people are having with it. So, is there a better option?
  2. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Sprite Backup is the ONLY backup program for WM5 Smartphone. I guess that makes it the best. :\
  3. smeg36

smeg36 New Member

I think SPB has backup software as well. I've used Sprite for about 3 yars on all my phones, both PPC and Smartphone, and swear by it. It's saved me multiple times, including just last week shortly after setting up my Sprint Q.
  4. IgotQ

IgotQ New Member

Does the Sprite backup work with Macs? Why would you need to back up if you sync reguraly?

I haven't synced my Q with my Mac yet. Won't syncing backup what's on your Q?
  5. darkcyber

darkcyber New Member

I'll have to say I don't know. I've only had my Q 1 week now and still learning. I've read a lot about people suggesting that you back it up.
  6. scottjb

scottjb New Member

7. smeg36

smeg36 New Member

Right you are, thanks for setting me straight. I switch back and forth between a PPC and Smartphone frequently enough that it's hard to keep it all straight sometimes. Syncing will back up all your PIM data (contacts, calender, etc.), but not any of your settings or installed programs. If you have to hard reset, you'll have to go through and install any programs you may have and change any settings you manually adjust. Also, what happens if you are away from your PC and have to hard reset? Well, with Sprite you backup to your miniSD so you always have a backup available right there with your phone. No need to connect to a PC, no need to spend hours installing programs and modifying settings.
  8. darkcyber

darkcyber New Member

Ok, first, what is a hard reset? Seen it a lot on here, just don't understand why/how you need to do it.

Secondly, Sprite backup just backs up your installed apps and settings and that's it? It doesn't image your whole phone like say Norton Ghost or True Image does on a pc? So,if you do a hard reset, you OS is back at default and you've just lost any settings or installed apps?
  9. smeg36

smeg36 New Member

A hard reset will set the phone back to the factory settings, exactly how it was when you got it. You need to do this for any number of reasons, including the phone freezing or getting bugs from installed software, or just random unexplainable problems. Sprite does make a complete backup of your phone, similar to Ghost on a PC. If you have to hard reset, you could restore from a Sprite backup and have everything back to how it was when you created the backup.
  10. darkcyber

darkcyber New Member

Ahhh, very nice then! Because that's what I love about Ghost and True Image. Will be purchasing Sprite then, just wanted to make sure it would do what I needed it to do first.

How is a hard reset accomplished...not that I need to, just wondering?
  11. smeg36

smeg36 New Member

You can hard reset two ways. First, you can go to Start/System Tools and run the Master Reset program. Second, you can hold down the power button and the center d-pad button at the same time while powering on. You'd get a message asking if you want to reset, and select yes. One more thing to note, because of the nature of Smartphone Sprite doesn't work exactly like Ghost. An image made on a phone could only be restored to the same brand and model of phone. You probably couldn't even use it on a Verizon Q to a Sprint Q because of the difference in menus, settings, and screens.
  12. darkcyber

darkcyber New Member

Ok, I just purchased Sprite and trying to do a backup and is the only place you can put the backup is on the storage card? Because that's the only option it's showing me.
  13. smeg36

smeg36 New Member

When you install it you should get a Sprite PC Agent software as well. When connected to the PC you should have the option to backup to the PC. I never do this though, I always just keep the 3 most recent backups on my storage card. Where are you wanting to place the backup?
  14. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Switch to Advanced Mode. Then select the box next to the backup file name, the one with the "..." in it. Select the Location drop down list. You will have the option to use the Storage Card or My Documents.

If you use My Documents, I suggest copying it somewhere else as a backup to your backup.
  15. MrMiguel

MrMiguel New Member

If there is an SD Card in the device then it will always default the backup to SD Card
  16. siyuan123

siyuan123 New Member

I like BackupCow.com best. It can help easily backup and sync files between multiple computers over the network. It also helps create private cloud storage. It is really useful and powerful.