What is the cost to tether your phone?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by emery94, Jul 7, 2010.

1. emery94

emery94 New Member

What is the cost to tether your phone?

I was just wondering what the cost is to tether my phone to my laptop. Right now I have a Q without a data plan but have a USB stick at home which I pay $60 for monthly. I am wondering about discontinuing the stick and paying for the data plan with tethering.

Anyone know how often Verizon runs the BOGO free offer on smartphones? Would love to do it at a time that I could get a new one for me and hubby.

Any help is appreciated!
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

there is a BOGO on Blackberry and Droid phones right now, not sure on WM though.

Data plan for either is $29.99 and tethering i THINK is an extra $15. If you go with a Droid you can root the phone (like a hack/jailbreak) and tether for free although that counts against your 5gb data a month.

I wouldnt recommend having your phone be your only home internet source though (if thats what your going for)
  3. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Tethering on my Moto q9h with WinMo 6.1 is FREE. I have never paid for tethering in the two years that I've had this phone.
  4. emery94

emery94 New Member

I am not familar with rooting the phone and I thought the $29.99 data usage was unlimited?? Also, what's wrong with that being your only internet source. Our only source now is through the USB stick which is just another phone line through Verizon. Unfortunately where we live there are not many options (only satelite, dial up, or the USB stick). I would appreciate any insight...
  5. emery94

emery94 New Member

How do you do that? I was at Verizon this morning and they said it is $30 a month to tether. I am confused...
  6. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

That was AT&T's statement also but there is an application that comes with WinMo 6 and 6.1 called Internet Connection Sharing Tool that allows you to tether.
    What version of WinMo are you running?
  7. ryant35

ryant35 Member

8. emery94

emery94 New Member

@kareljack - I am currently running 6.1 but I have thought about going to a Droid too.

@ryant35 - So is this unlimited data usage? I was told that if we tether through Verizon it limits the tethered data usage to 5GB but unlimited on the phone.
  9. ryant35

ryant35 Member

You are limited to 5gb no matter what, whether you tether with their software or your own. If you buy and use PDANet you don't need to let Verizon know that us are tethering. If you do they will charge you for their service.

Although I hit 6gb for a couple of months but Verizon didn't say anything about it or charge me extra.
  10. vladimir74

vladimir74 New Member

I was wondering with this as well. we are still with the Alltel plan but i have been informed about the 5g/month fee of 30$ and more if you go over. My phone is my internet as i am a full time student and have a full time career. I didnt tell Verizon about my tethering and have been doing this for many years with my Moto Qc and now my HTC Ozone. Works great and is faster than the local cable internet. What i am afraid of is that when i update my plan to the Droid X that they will notice that i am tethering and charge me. I am currently doing over 23g each month on my phone due to downloads and research for school. Will i be charged for this or will i still get by? Also, does June Fabrics have a new tethering for the Droid X?
  11. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

23gb!!!!
    and your account hasnt been flagged yet!? count yourself lucky sir

and yes there is PDAnet for Android