What does "Enable Advanced Network Functionality" do?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by ScottQ9c, Oct 6, 2008.

1. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

What does "Enable Advanced Network Functionality" do?

Title says it all: What does "Enable Advanced Network Functionality" do? What do I gain or lose if I disable "Advanced Network Functionality?"

Thanks, all!
  2. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Anyone have any ideas about this?
  3. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

After a bit of research, I found that this option has to do with the types of connections Windows Mobile uses to interact with the computer. It switches the USB protocol from PPP to RNDIS and back.

Apparently Microsoft switched the USB protocol from PPP to RNDIS in WM5, which can create problems with VPN and other networking. So this option lets you switch USB protocols to the older PPP to better suit you networking needs.

If you uncheck it, the older protocol, PPP, will be activated and RNDIS will be disabled, and vice-versa for checking it again.
  4. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Vaz: Thanks for the info. I'm impressed!

I sync calendar, contacts and e-mail on the Q9c using Verizon Wireless Sync. Sometimes I transfer documents or do program installations or updates using Active Sync via a USB cable. If I change the disable "Enhanced Network Functionality," will that have an impact on the phone's usability in my situation?

Scott
  5. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

To be honest, I have no idea. I am not on Verizon, but if I assume Wireless Sync is OTA, I don't think it will matter. These protocols are for USB, so it will have to do with physically connecting your phone to the computer. So the option will probably only affect AS/WMDC, if at all. Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer, as I am only regirgitating what I read from a few technical docs.

Here's a web page with info: http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/usb-advanced-functionality.htm
  6. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Vaz: That link was useful. Thanks for posting it, and for your comments here. Much appreciated.
  7. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

A pleasure, as always!
  8. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

im on verizon and i actually check and uncheck that box accordingly whenever activesync wont connect and everything still works exactly the same
  9. I8qbert

I8qbert Active Member

I do the same. I just leave it unchecked (that is the only way I can get active sync to work on my PC). The only time I had to recheck it was when I did an update via the moto homepage because their software could not "find" my phone.
  10. Tyler Lillie

Tyler Lillie New Member

I only recently got a Moto Q and have been exploring its capability. ActiveSync 4.5 was working fine on the Q, but when I installed the trial version of PdaNet to use the modem capabilities, I was getting an "Error 633" message in Windows on my laptop and a 0x85020006 error message in the status report in the Moto Q ActiveSync program.

After pounding around both keybords, I discovered that disabling the "Enable advanced network functionality" on the Q solves the problem with PdaNet connection and my Autosync function also works.

This leaves me wondering if I am setting myself up for some mysterious future problem with some program that requires advanced network functionality....

I came across a forum that included the following fix: "When the 'Enable advanced network functionality' checkbox is not checked the driver for SerialUSB is used and the Hosts registry entry is used on the handheld. When the checkbox is checked the driver for USBRndis is used and Host registry entries are not used, rather all such lookups are directed to the host PC running ActiveSync. To solve my problem, I added the server names and ipaddresses to the Hosts file in the \Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder. The names were then translated correctly to the IP-addresses." I think that I understand the first part but I have to confess that the last two sentences were Greek to me (and postings by others indicated that I wasn't alone).

I got to this thread by furious Googling but as you can see by the above messages, there is little information that has surfaced. If you do discover the answer, please post here!
  11. I8qbert

I8qbert Active Member

for me I have to uncheck that box for active sync to work. The only time I needed to check that box was when I did an update via motos web site.
    Sent from Q
  12. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

me too...at first. Both my original Q and now 9c had to have the box unchecked for activesync. But then to get my external bluetooth gps to be seen I have to check it...both Q's. Then after a week or so of checking, unchecking, etc....checking will work for both activesync and gps! and what that has to do with bluetooth outbound port Com1 or inbound port BTC5....i have no flippin clue....
  13. Tyler Lillie

Tyler Lillie New Member

I checked my bluetooth GPS and got the same result: I had to check the Q "Enabled advanced network functionality" box to get it to work. That is strange.

I explored the PdaNet settings on the Q and explored why the proxy setting might be important. Google got me to to the PdaNet website http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/proxymode.php (it's odd that you can't get to this link through June Fabric's home page, which leaves me wondering what other usefull stuff might be there). Apparently, unchecking the proxy mode option in PdaNet sends data through the Q's data connection (and not voice service). Since I have an unlimited data plan, I unchecked the proxy box and PdaNet works with the Q "Enabled advanced network functionality" box checked.

I continue to worry that some problem is looming as I continue to get "Attention Required" warnings (code 85020006) in ActiveSync on both the Q and my laptop even though things seem to be working OK. Stay tuned....
  14. parkerlreed

parkerlreed New Member

Internet on Q

I have found that the "Enable Advanced Network Functionality" does something cool but not necessarily useful. When it is enabled the computer's internet connection is used on the Q. You can browse the web on the Q using the computer's internet. You still have to be connected via USB, so not very practical, but cool feature nonetheless.