what are the correct Wifi Settings?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by Acostak1, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Acostak1

Acostak1 New Member

what are the correct Wifi Settings?

I know that this has been mentioned previously, but I feel that people are saying different things and after reading through the threads i have gotten myself confused. I purchased the Wifi card, I downloaded the WM6 Driver into my Q9M. I just want to make sure i have the proper settings set on my phone so that i do not get charge through Verzion when i access the Internet. If anyone can please make this clear to me, i would really appreciate it.
  2. bwesky

bwesky New Member

i am too curious about theses setting it would be great if we could get some of the guys in here to help us out!
  3. walke323

walke323 New Member

There is a simple hack in the hack section that will cause Internet Explorer to ask for a password (which doesn't have to be entered) when trying to connect to Verizon's internet. When you're connected to Wi-Fi, it will not ask this.

Another way to guarantee you're on Wi-fi is to: First make sure Wi-Fi is off and Internet Explorer is closed*, then turn on Wi-Fi and connect to the network you want. Once the Wi-Fi actually shows the network (ie is connected), then it will use the Wi-Fi not Verizon's network for internet service when you open Internet Explorer.
    (Also, I would avoid connecting the Q to a computer at this point, as it may throw things off as it tries to connect to the computer's internet connection.)

*Like most applications on the Q, to actually close and exit the program, you have to go to "Task Manager" and "Kill" the application you want. You're probably already familiar with that though.

4. Eugene

Eugene New Member

You can do as one person said and set the registry key to password protect the data connection.

There really isn't one "correct" wifi setting. What you want to do is make sure wifi is associated with one of the 5 advanced connections that is higher in the list than the verizon data connection because as far as I can tell when an app is set for auto it starts at the top of the list and goes down. So if you associate wifi with "work" then its on the list below "internet" so IE or whatever will use "Internet" first. So basically when you make your wireless connectin, choose "internet" so its at the top of the list.
  5. comptiger5000

comptiger5000 New Member

Also, in the same registry entry as the password trick, there is a spot to outright disable the internet. Works just as well as a data block, but with no prompts.
  6. Acostak1

Acostak1 New Member

How do i set the "internet" option and what is the verizon data set to?

7. Acostak1

Acostak1 New Member

How do i set the password protection?

8. comptiger5000

comptiger5000 New Member

It is explained in the hacks forum. Or search for it.