What apps actually work w/Moto Q 5.0?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by txheart0711, Jul 4, 2010.

1. txheart0711

txheart0711 New Member

What apps actually work w/Moto Q 5.0?

I got this phone about a week ago & surfing makes me believe there are tons of free apps for us. However, 9 of 10 apps that I try to download gets me to a page that says it's not compatible w/this device or the download page isn't available, or something else like that resulting in only 1 download so far. I did get Google maps, 411, & search, but when I hit the Gmail icon I get a msg saying page can't open due to unknown error. I'm a bit frustrated. Days of searching & trying to download w/nothing but frustration to show for it. Help? It's been flashed to Cricket, WM 5, basic Q. I look forward to your reply & thank you in advance.
    ---Chrys
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

why use an app?
    just go to gmail.com on the web browser

what other apps are you looking for?
  3. txheart0711

txheart0711 New Member

Hmm, being a newbie, perhaps I'm not using the correct slang, or maybe I don't even know what I'm trying to say. lol -- Let me try again ...

I've tried to download Opera, Mozilla Firefox, Vito Copy and Paste, among many others. So far, the only things I've been able to get on my phone are the Google ones.

Opera did download, but then when I used it, it would connect on the first click, all attempts to follow links, close the program and re-open, nothing worked, it kept saying no connection. I finally deleted Opera, and now have no problem getting onto the internet; albeit extremely slow. I tried to download Opera again, but got the error message that the program wasn't compatible with my device. I really like that Opera downloads the pages somewhere else, then sends them to my phone - that sounds much faster, which is my biggest complaint with the IE service.

Firefox - same issue; when I click on download, it goes to a page telling me my device isn't compatible.
    Vito - every time I clicked on the download button it took me to a page that looked vaguely like the German language, but I don't think it was German - maybe Polish? I didn't see any links on that page to click for download, and I didn't have the slightest idea where to go from there, or what the page was saying.

Basically, I'd really like a cut and paste application, a faster internet program, something to show my battery meter (tried Battline to no avail; not compatible) because this phone is SO quick to lose battery power and I don't see a meter when I'm on the internet. I'd also like other cool stuff, to be determined. lol ... the whole point for me to have a smart phone is to have stuff on it to play with - ya know? Otherwise, just use a basic cell.

I hope that helps clear it up a little ... and thank you for your reply!
    ~Chrys
  4. n99hockey

try skyfire
    www.skyfire.com
    not really sure why it would work one time and then not

dont both with this it is for touch devices and not officially released yet

try here for vito
    http://www.brothersoft.com/vito-copypaste-download-103625.html

try this for a battery meter on all screens
    http://www.myblackjack2.com/applications/utilities/smartphone-battery-meter/
  5. txheart0711

txheart0711 New Member

Thank you n99hockey, I will do that as soon as I get off work. One question though, how do you know what is supposed to work? What search terms do you use to find downloads? I've tried WM smartphone 5.0, Motorola Q downloads, smartphone free apps, etc and I keep getting bumpkis. Again, thanks, and I hope to hear back from you.
    ~Chrys
  6. n99hockey

honestly a lot of times its hit or miss from those 'off looking' sites
    but i will search for windows mobile standard

alot of wm6.1 apps will work on wm5.0
    stay away from windows mobile professional thats for touch devices