Weird problem with storage space.

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by kareljack, Jul 24, 2008.

1. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Weird problem with storage space.

With all the apps I have on my phone, I normally have about 50mb of space left.
    But something weird is happening... my space is dropping by itself. I was just surfing the usual sites when I got a low space message and I was down to 9mb. I cleared out the temp files with sktools etc etc, but it didnt help much.
    Now I am down to 2mb. If I don't fix this soon, I'm gonna be forced to reset the phone to factory default and suffer thru reinstalling everything.
    Any ideas what could be happening??
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Accumulated text, mms, and email? Do you delete them at all? Does sktools delete them?
  3. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I kept my email and text. But even if I deleted them, it doesnt explain why I lost over 40mb of space in a day, or why I keep losing storage space without downloading anything.
    In the time it took me to type this I lost 4mb of space. I am now down to 2mb.
    WTF?
  4. Tech.erella

Tech.erella New Member

Sktools lite!!!! Search!!!!
  5. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

What are you babbling about???
  6. mexiken

mexiken New Member

It sounds like a memory leak, which crappy written apps have been known to do, except they leak RAM, not HD memory. Weird.

I'd say if SKTools has a search parameter (since you have it) to tell you where all your disc space is going, start there. Otherwise, start hitting properties on all your root folders until you find the folder hog, then go in the folder and do that again. Its a bit cumbersome, but you'll find your culprit. And plus, its much nicer on mobiles than doing that on a PC....
  7. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I couldnt wait... I was down to .25mb of space so I said "frak it" and did a master clear.
    Right now I have 123.56mb and there have been no fluctuations.

Amazing... I actually feel lost with this default phone. No Facade, no RSS feed, no bookmarks.. nothing. What the hell am I gonna do with this thing... talk??? BAH!! :wink:
  8. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I understand. Wish you would have found the culprit though, then we could have hopefully figured out why it was happening.
  9. RJNJC

RJNJC New Member

Who uses a phone to talk??!!!

I found myself thinking that when I recently did a complete wipeout! The phone seemed so 'naked'.

Thank heavens and all who live there for Sprite Backup

:2cool:
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Still can't get stupid Sprite Backup to work on my phone. I guess I'll try again later today =/
  11. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Yeah... I also wanted to have a nice sit down and troubleshoot session but the patience for it just was not there and the phone kept giving me the messages about needing storage space to run properly. Nothing on there was irreplaceable thanks to DashWire.

I look at it this way... I can now re-install only the apps I really truly need, and once I am sure the phone is stable I will back it up for circumstances just like this.
  12. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

It seems pretty well addressed here but just my two cents on the subject. If you have a data service and have internet based applications, they could be using it up with excessive or poorly written caching which is eating up your space. Or it could just be an application that does not properly dispose of its memory locations and therefore sucking it up until it chokes. Virus-like behavior even since it seems to be mimicking an old memory virus called BunnyRabbit or some variation like PacMAN or BomberMAN.

I know this doesn't really give a solution but thought you might enjoy the perspective or more possible causes. Good luck and if I may suggest, since you already took the loss of time resetting, when putting stuff back, do it one at a time and monitor for a while before adding another to see if you can narrow which application suddenly starts sucking you dry and that might be your culprit.
  13. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Well... there were no new programs that were installed for quite some time before the storage space started to disappear.
    It would be nice to install one app then wait a few hours then install another, I will try my best to stick to that but sometimes the wait was only about ten minutes. So far my storage space is not 'bleeding out'.
  14. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Maybe it was a fluke and maybe it won't happen again. But in the meantime if you can invest the cautious approach to see it might serve you in the long term not having to keep redoing it. Several hours might be a bit excessive, use your gut based your experience with the problem and gauge yourself on the fly and see. Best of luck.
  15. jreich82

jreich82 New Member

Help!

Now my phone is doing the same exact thing. Its a Q9Hglobal
    i had the same memory problem about 2 weeks ago so i did a hard reset. problem fixed... for 2 weeks... the only thing running on my phone is AIM AT&T telnav and PocketNester+. i cant find the culprit anywhere. i dont want to have to hard reset my phone every 2 weeks. can any one help me please?
  16. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Do you use that Telnav? if so there are cashes for it and they fill up fast. If you have SKTools, run the cleanup. It cleans those cashe. If you dont have it, get it and run all the clean ups.
  17. jreich82

jreich82 New Member

yes i do use telnav. i could not find a folder where the caches may be stored. any ideas as where to look?
  18. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

not sure. i dont use it, but sktools checks it when cleaning.
  19. cindra

cindra Active Member

Welcome to Everything Q, jreich82! :)
  20. jreich82

jreich82 New Member

______________________thanks