weather program

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by brada55306, Feb 13, 2007.

1. brada55306

brada55306 New Member

weather program

what is the best weather program out there for the Q? Thanks!!

Brad
  2. scottjb

scottjb New Member

There are only two that I know of, Fizz Weather and Handyweather. I have Fizz, which is pretty good, but offers no customizing of the home screen plug-in. You choose from a few pre-defined layouts.
    Paragon never answered a question I asked, so I never tried Handyweather.
  3. troutseth

troutseth Guest

If you have a data plan . . . I just use weather underground's mobile site
  4. My-Q

My-Q New Member

The National Weather service has a mobile phone site to. That is what I use when the weather gets bad. Tornado season is coming to Tennessee!

The only problem with weather programs, depending on where you live, you may not have local information. Weather Underground has a station 10 miles from me and the NWS has an office 45 miles away. But, the NWS has better local warnings when the time comes. I've not used Fizz as of yet for severe weather.
  5. troutseth

troutseth Guest

What is the NWS mobile URL? Do they do text alerts? I live in Houston and info on Hurricanes would be fantastic

To spell out another issue with the weather programs. This is just my humble opinion, but they don't seem as updated as they should. You can set them up to auto update to the server, but I don't think their servers update with the frequency needed making them useless for days when weather is changing (or you are going to a game and need to see an updated map to dodge the rain). Also, I used fizz for awhile and it hung all the time. I hope they have that fixed. The home screen plug-in was nice but it didn't tell you much, just a picture of sun or a cloud.

It is just as quick in the EV area for me to hit the website and get real time info as it was to click three times to get to a detailed forecast in Fizz. Plus the websites are free except for the data. :laugh2:
  6. My-Q

My-Q New Member

7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

8. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Thanks! You can use both URLs. I like the HTTP better because it has the input for the zip code right on the first page. I just wish their map was a little better.

Good info!
  9. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I have not used Handy weather before, but as long as the weather is up to date it looks like a nice interface. Keep in mind, you may not have to go to IE to get the information BUT the program will still use internet connectivity to update so you need a data plan!
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you are correct, i realized that but didn't think about mentioning that..
  11. troutseth

troutseth Guest

That's why we are a community . . . ok that sounded cheesy as all H***
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

<no comment> :tounge:
  13. chower

chower New Member

I agree with a post earlier about wunderground.com. They have a great mobile page, including animated sat imagry
  14. darkcyber

darkcyber New Member

Well, you are talking about a subject close to my heart. I'm a storm spotter for our local EMA and NWS, plus I'm in amateur radio and live in Alabama and we have our fair share of severe weather. Having some kind of mobile weather app is a must for me. I just recently switched to Verizon and got a Motorola Q. I agree with the comments about the weather underground and the NWS's mobile web sites...those are handy for getting weather information. I need something that pushes Warnings to me without me having to take the time to download them and I need them in near real time.

But what I would like to see is something with some kind of auto update of Severe Weather Statements. I did find a program, it's My-Cast from My-Cast.com, but it will not work on the Q at this point. They are suppose to be working on something for the Q. It works on BREW enabled phones and the Q doesn't have BREW.

So, I opted and purchased the Memory-Map Weather Radar program. It gives nice Nexrad radar screens of whatever area you need. It has the topography, counties, roads and even overlays warning boxes. The only downside I see to it so far, is it doesn't auto update the radar images when a new one comes out. You must manually press the update button (or at least I haven't found a way to auto update it....maybe someone has and please post it here).

I've tried Fizz Weather and it's totally useless except for just getting basic forecast information.

Bottom line...I need something near real time for out in the field use. I can't spend all my time looking at my Q and searching and updating text and images. I've got to be watching the sky :laugh2:
  15. mccarob

mccarob New Member

on my old Samsung I had My-Cast. In one word.. AWESOME. Nothing like getting a notification whenver a lighting strike happens within 20 miles of your Zipcode. Then you could even pull up a map and see all the stricks in the last 15 or 30 min. Active Raider, and more. It was the best thing ever. I loved it. :( Now your bringing a tear to my eye.

If it does get a version for the Q, I would highly recommend everyone try this. It is simply awesome.
  16. My-Q

My-Q New Member

I've been a storm spotter for about 10 years now. If you want to use your Q in relation to the most, up to date weather, i would suggest that you use your Q as a tethered modem and use a laptop (if you have one) to get the most out of the NWS. That is what I plan on doing this spring during stormy weather and while at Camp Shelby, MS.

I had My Cast on my RAZR. I didn't use it much. Didn't think it was intuitive enough. I ended up using something else.
  17. mccarob

mccarob New Member

Hehhe, well I don't know if it was developed to chase storms, but I like it as an end-user who just likes to watch storms to get the most info I could out of my phone.
  18. My-Q

My-Q New Member

It's all about the technology. Anything that helps! Besides, I have been driving down more that one highway and see a funnel cloud before the warnings are issued. When I lived in Colorado and the weather got bad, you could see for miles. In Tennessee, when it storms, especially at night, you can't see more than 3 miles. Something moving at 30 miles an hour (a good tornado speed) you don't see it until it is too late. If my Q can keep me safe and help others at the same time, Hell yeah, I'll get all I can from it. LOL!!
  19. darkcyber

darkcyber New Member

Well, I talked to the tech at My-Cast at length and he told me they were developing it for the Q. But he said even if they get it working, it's still up to Verizon (my provider in my case) to allow it to work.
  20. mccarob

mccarob New Member

I don't see why they wouldn't I have verizon for my Q and on my Old Samsung.