Water dunked in phone, everything works except for the end button

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by hoopinmoni, Apr 30, 2008.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

did it do that before it took a bath?
  2. hoopinmoni

hoopinmoni New Member

I got it from att online. Does that change things? You may be onto something here. How would you do it? Just walk in and say, everything on my phone works, except for the end key? I'm gonna feel stupid if they check the back. Maybe i'll just blame my brother and say, i knew i shouldn't let him borrow it.
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Technically, you should be able it to return to a store. I've had instances, with other retailers, where they insists that I return it online. But that's because they don't want to take the hit on the return. Just make sure there are no physical damages or water marks showing. GODSPEED my friend! LOL! :laugh:

Don't even make an excuse. Just say the end button doesn't work. Coz they gonna start asking you questions, and you'll have to come up with more lies.
  4. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Keep it simple, I have a Q9h from At&t and NO it is not normal for it to turn on with the batter put in but if your power button is stuck then as said by another, it might just be registering as pressed and why it comes on.

Just go to the nearest At&t store and act cool and not guilty as suggested and just say hey, I got this its acting bizarre, the button seems to be not working, can you please replace it for me, its only two weeks into it. They shouldn't even care because its within 30 days but of course whatever you do, DO NOT tell them what happened or you are on your own unless you have gotten the insurance on it.
  5. mexiken

mexiken New Member

As a rep, I can tell you that we were gettin yelled at for not checking for that. And 2nd, you can blame whoever you like, but the red sticker of death is no bueno, and means they CANNOT take it back. And even if the rep says yes, they're going to get in trouble when the AM looks at it, so you'll be getting them in trouble in the end.

I say proceed with caution. But thats one of the first things I checked for, because keys honestly just don't stop working like that....unless they "took a bath" as hockey said
  6. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Actually that's somewhat naive to say. Things do go haywire and crap out right out the box sometimes. That's why the term "LEMON" was coined. After 15+ years of being in the field developing and now for the last 6 years being an attorney I can tell you that I have seen it all.

It DOES happen that something brand new breaks or is not working without fault, of course we know here there is fault but heck they can't prove it unless you tell them. It would be illegal for them to say that they will not replace it within its in-store period unless they can show clearly and with concrete proof that it was mal-intent by the user.
  7. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

And that's why they have the "water mark" because there's no telling what effect a little corrosion can have (no matter where the water came from)
    While there most definately are lemons out there, they would have proof that it wasn't like that from the box thanks to the wonderful stickers. Having been in sales before, I can't even begin to tell you how many "turned" stickers I've seen and turned away (Radio Shack didn't deal with the insurance coverage). My favorite was when I pulled a battery to check the sticker and a pool of water formed on the counter under the phone. They still tried to say it had never been wet...
  8. hoopinmoni

hoopinmoni New Member

I meant blame my lil brother if i get caught so i don't feel stupid. I'm sure as a rep, you see right through the bullshit, but blaming my brother will make things less awkward i suppose.

I'll try it out. Whats the worst that can happen, they'll see it got wet and i don't get a new phone. Unfortunately i'm a good liar so i think i can do it without being suspicious. But if they're a good rep they'll probably check regardless.

Two things. Its not fully red. The middle of it is still real light and overall it isn't that dark. Does that change anything? Also, what if i paint it white with some whiteout or something?
  9. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Well obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but honestly, it happens maybe 1 in 1000 times if Motorola's QA dept was any good. What I'm saying is, its rare to find a problem and it not be related to the water mark....
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Ha ha, I've had worse. I've had people peel it off, try to replace the sticker with another, all kinds of stuff. Crazy stuff I tell ya
  11. mexiken

mexiken New Member

LOL, I feel ya. People just usually play dumb. Or they blame it on their kids. But some level with you after the BS stage, ja ja.

Try. You might get lucky. Couldn't hurt. Just like I said, be prepared.

LOL, you can try the white out, but I caught one. I knew because I went and noticed it was coming off. But, if you can make it look clean, then try it.
  12. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Paco my friend, I have no doubt there are idiots out there who pull some bull but I am talking about being smart and cool about it. If this person is stupid enough to walk up there having messed up the tags, security labels and there is a pool of water, then it speaks for itself that this person deserves to have to buy another one. I have been on the retail end too, unfortunately and I have seen some crazy stuff but come on, don't tell me you can't get something past the inspection of you are smart about it?
  13. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Exactly my point, try it, be smart about it, don't offer too much "explanations" or "alternate theories" and just keep it simple. It stopped working, don't know why, can you do something for me. can't be any worse off than you are now, right?
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I agree. The worst that could happen is you keep the same phone.

Bottom line is carriers don't really care about you. It's all about the money to them. They do stuff like turn off tethering just so we can pay them a premium for the service, when in fact the Moto Q9h is perfectly capable of doing it out of the box; they make us pay different PDA, Blackberry and iPhone plans, even if they access the exact same network; they tell us that we HAVE to use TeleNav ($9.99/month) if we want GPS, when in fact we can use Google or MS Live Search for free; they also limit the file size of ring tones so we can't use our own library of songs in hopes that we would purchase $3-30second-songs from their site. I could never understand why we would even consider purchasing a $3-30second-song when a whole song on iTunes cost 99 cents

So please don't feel guilty at all. Because they won't feel the same for you.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!! STICK IT TO THE MAN!!!! LOL! :tounge:
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

What sticker are you referring to?
  16. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

on the Q9c it's on the housing between the speakers and the battery. And yes there can be ways around them. They tend to be very sensitive. If you have the phone in your pocket on a hot day the moisture from your sweat can turn the sticker red. Although, the same moisture also killed the keypad on my last phone, so....
  17. cheri

cheri Active Member

Actually it was a fitness expert that told me 80-20. I was like ok then we agree to disagree. I have "special" circumstances so Im not exactly average (by any means lol)

I just started training again in feb or march I dont remember. I have only done cardio and alot of it. Surprised how quickly that came back lol. I do not like cardio. Have only gone near the "floor" or weight area a couple times to pine and sigh. It's one of my favorite places in the world (im not kidding lol) My new gym is so new the equipment is not complicated but intimidating even for me. I have a free pass at my old gym (cuz they love me lol) so I might go train on the lifting portion there. Its more suitable for me and quite old school. At the new place they dont even have a platform not any where...I really do not want to stand on a areobics class step for dead lifting. Even with only a 40lb naked bar too flimsy a place to balance.

I can go on for days about this but since its really in my blood. I will for go that for the time being not the place to carry on for more than several paragraphs lol.

What has worked for me always is being extremely tight on the diet otherwise it just wont fall together and lots of exercise.
  18. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Exactly, for as much ways as they find to screw you, why so concerned. I hate big corporation as much as the next person, so good luck.
  19. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Well good for me then, I don't have it there. I have a Q9h/At&t. YAY!
  20. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Good, although there may still be one in the phone. But it might be inside, and I doubt they would open it at store level. Anyway, good luck. I do understand why they do what they do, but there shoukld be some level of compassion (or dare I say it, customer service). Regardless of what damage can happen to the phone due to a little water, accidents happen.