Water dunked in phone, everything works except for the end button

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by hoopinmoni, Apr 30, 2008.

1. hoopinmoni

hoopinmoni New Member

Water dunked in phone, everything works except for the end button

So basically i dropped my phone in a sink full of water. I took it out imediately then took out the battery and let it sit for about 8 hours. I used a hair dryer at a distance on low heat a few times throughout the day. When i turned it on, the battery kept showing up as an x, even after it was on for about 20 min. I used my extended battery and it showed up fine and i left that one in there for about an hour. I put my regular battery back in and now that one shows up as well. Everything that i've used so far (i've had it on for about 16 hours) has worked fine except for the end call button. At first i was thinking, i can live with only one button not working. Until i just made a phone call, but had no way of ending it. Even if you hit the right softkey for menu, theres no end call option.

Long story short, phone got dropped in water, now end call key won't work, but everything else is fine. Any ideas on how to fix it?
  2. unsung

unsung New Member

try a master reset, see if that works.

if that doesn't work i doubt there's going to be a fix for your Q after dropping in water.

sorry it happened though.
  3. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

so according to the title.....the water dunked it in the phone.....just so i can help you...the water traveled to your phone and dunked it, and your end button does not work
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

It's possible that there still may be some water in the key. Try putting the phone in a ziploc bag with some rice, or dessicant packets. I know of some other ways to drive water out but they are much more extreme (kind of a last resort)
  5. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

put his old NOKIA through an entire wash cycle....let it dry out for one week, and was able to get my numbers off it, but most of the keys did NOTwork
  6. hoopinmoni

hoopinmoni New Member

What exactly is a master reset?

If all else fails, i can wait til tuesday. I have a class with a dude who works for motorola. Forgot exactly what he does, but he does always show up with new phones that haven't been releases. Maybe he'll know a fix or something.
  7. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

my version of the master reset is me throwing it as hard as I can against the strongest wall i can find....if that doesn't work come back here and post your results and i can help further...really worked well for me some time ago
  8. unsung

unsung New Member

are you usually this helpful or did we win the lottery today for a river of sarcasm???
  9. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

did my master reset not work? or what
  10. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

a master reset is when the device is set back to the factory defaults
    meaning all data and programs are wiped clean and only the apps that were installed when you got the phone are reinstalled

if you do decided to do this please back up the phone
  11. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

then follow closely my directions....and it should give you a permanent master reset
  12. hoopinmoni

hoopinmoni New Member

The only program i have on here as of right now is the schedy alarm app. I barely got my phone like 2 weeks ago. I have a lot of calendar stuff on there but i have that hooked up with outlook. In that case, would you still recommend backing my phone up?
  13. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

if you have everything you want saved somewhere (contacts/calendar/etc)...to outlook or your pc folder somewhere then its not really necessary

but thats up to you
  14. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

man i hate this, the better person in be wants to chime in all the time..........i am not good at the having fun deal

I am sorry....i have never done a master reset and don't plan on it

*edit- this still sucks ass
  15. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

but then i take a look at my desk and my two monitors and....uh....13 empty beers......yeah life if good.............

damn AA that would make me feel guilty about this when nothing bad has happend....dammit....it love this program but it messes with you too

(punches himself in the balls for installing candlelight, as i cannot post ? marks....)
  16. cheri

cheri Active Member

Gotta a pic of that? jk

Thank Gawd im gonna be busy for a couple hours because your drunken posting has me ROFL.

(ps there is a thread for drunken posting too)

Dont forget to sheild your keyboard before you pass out!
  17. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

oh shut your trap....pretty soon you will be like SEARCH for it!
  18. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

How to do a master reset

Despite all the wonderful advice and some really funny, unless I missed it, there was no instruction given on how to do the master reset. If there was, I am sorry for missing it.

Start > System Tools > Master Reset
    As suggested before by another poster, please make sure you have everything you need somewhere else, like your desktop PIM so that after the reset you can sync back to where you were.

Good luck.
  19. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

and/or the keyboard version. have the phone off and hold the z and e keys while pressing the power key.
  20. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Of course that works too if you are having trouble getting around inside the phone. Thanks for adding that, I just forgot :embarassed: