Watching Movies On Your Motorola Q

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by chris, Jun 17, 2006.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Watching Movies On Your Motorola Q

Just added a new FAQ to the knowledgebase on watching movies on your Q. I haven't detailed the steps for converting videos, since many use different operating systems, etc to do the coversion. If you have questions of coverting, post them here. There are some great threads on Everything Treo that detail the process.

-Chris
  2. Timaphillips

Timaphillips New Member

OK. So I downloaded the codec for watching MPEG movies on my Q. What now? Do I have to buy a DVD ---> MPEG converter or is there some freeware out there? This is probably going to be waaay to much work anyway since I'd have to get DVD burning software that gets through the copyright protection stuff these days.
  3. pauljcote

pauljcote New Member

4. Stryker

Stryker New Member

Converting your DVD's to play on Q

Programs needed:
    1) CladDVD.NET 3.5.6 (to rip DVD)
    2) PocketDivXEncoder 0.3.60 (to convert ripped dvd into small video for your mobile player)
    3) TCPMP Player - install to Q to watch

--> All above are freeware and work great. I also use XVid codec for a much better quality video, once installed select in advanced options in DivXEncoder.
    I always max the video and audio quality when using DiVxEncoder and files are usually around 300mb. Hope this helps. Also I have a 2 GB ATP Promax 150x miniSD memory card--> great card 22.5 MB/s Read, 15MB/s Write. Have fun :thumbup:
  5. hiphopreneur

hiphopreneur New Member

does pocket tv stream content from the internet? or do u have to save the content to your mini sd?
  6. George Harkin

George Harkin New Member

Where did you find this mini sd card. I've looked around and could only find it from a few retailers. Is it much better than the SanDisk pro cards?
  7. George Harkin

George Harkin New Member

I think you could use VLC to stream to the device. Thus you could do real time encoding of the video. This will work well if you have fairly good upload on your home internet connection, and you have subscribed to the data plan with your phone.
  8. Stryker

Stryker New Member

MiniSD

www.usamemory.net

I was googling for a good miniSD and found some review sites that rated this very high, can't remember where, but this is best to get at this time.
  9. sbagdan

sbagdan New Member

What I am looking for is a way to get the content from my Windows Media Center 2005 to my Q..

Once I can do that, I think I will be VERY happy.

Streaming is not important, just the ability to SYNC.
  10. George Harkin

George Harkin New Member

I found a review of the promax card and they described the transfer rates as being below normal. What is your opinion. Anyone else have these cards? Are they the ones to get?

Newegg has this one for around $60: Transcend 2GB MiniSD Card
  11. jdudzy

jdudzy New Member

I have downloaded PocketDivXEncoder 0.3.60 and it converts the movie files to .avi which can not be played by anything on the Q, including PocketTV; any other sugguestions?
  12. jerryjr

jerryjr New Member

You will need to download the TCPMP v0.72RC1 player.
  13. jerryjr

jerryjr New Member

Wow this combination of programs works great. I am able to rip and encode a movie in about 45 minutes. And it shows up great on the Q. Thank you for the info!
  14. nicnac

nicnac New Member

Now that I downloaded these recommended programs..how do I go about converting DVDs to play on the Q? Thanks
  15. dan99mp

dan99mp New Member

How Many?

On average, how many movies can a 2GB MiniSD hold using the method and software that has previously posted?
  16. dan99mp

dan99mp New Member

I did a test

I ended up doing a test movie to see how big it would be. If anyone else is wondering I figure that with nothing else on the 2 GB MiniSD card it could be possible to fit 6-8 movies depending on length. If my assumption is wrong, please correct me.Wink

-Dan
  17. nicnac

nicnac New Member

I am still trying to figure out how to get that far..any tips?? lol
  18. mcmikey420

mcmikey420 New Member

Tcpmp

Ok guys so I have a weird one for ya now. I have been trying to use the thread that was put up so nicely for getting movies onto my q and Im running in to a couple problems. First when I use the cladDVD program to rip my dvd once its done I cant find it to convert it using pocketdivx. I had TCPMP on my phone for the past month and used it with no problems at all but once I read the thread about how it freezes up the q I started playing with mine and now no matter what I do when I close the program it kills my phone. Any ideas or help for either problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!!
  19. Stryker

Stryker New Member

Do a file search for " *.vob " you'll find them, they'll be approx. 5-6 GB files. Mare sure your ripping in AVi not DVD. Also make sure you select the .vob on the DVD that has the most chapters. If I remember right there is option tab to select where the ripped file goes to, for convience I have mine going right to desktop. Hope that helps.