Warning: Q9 battery lifetime is a joke!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by BleedingGuitar, Jul 29, 2007.

1. BleedingGuitar

BleedingGuitar New Member

Warning: Q9 battery lifetime is a joke!

I was very excited about my Q9 in the beginning. But as it appears now, both Q9 i own have major battery lifetime issues.

Push E-Mail for example is absolutely unuseable because batter lifetime is under 12 hours (!) when Push is turned on. So, everybody who wants to use this feature: search for another smartphone.

But with Push turned of it doesn't become very much better: if your phone survives 24 hours, you're lucky. If you're doing a little bit of syncing and surfing during the day and also have a few phone calls - the phone will not make the 24 hours.

The problem is that Motorola delivers only a 1.000 mAh battery pack here in Europe. For example, Nokia delivers for their comparable E61(i) a 1.500 mAh battery pack.

This was tested with 2 Motorola Q9h in an 3G HSDPA-enabled network. So maybe in 2G networks the battery will last a little bit longer.

Anyway, I cannot recommend this phone to anyone as long as Motorola doesn't at least offer a better battery as an accessoire.

I really think about sendig back my phone to Amazon. :-(
  2. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

The Q9 is only available in Europe right now and we will have to wait and see if AT&T optimization (as if they know how) will help the battery life. I have an extended battery on my current Moto Q and I can get 2-3 days with push set to 15 minutes 7am-6pm with some calls.

I would check out www.seidioonline.com to see if they offer anything yet that is the same size but with more mAh capacity or check out www.lionbattery.com.

In the end you cannot have an ultra thin phone with 3G without a HUGE battery to keep it going for days. Moto should and most likely will offer extra capacity batteries, they did with the original Q and Verizon gave a cheap price too.
  3. BleedingGuitar

I agree - but about 24 hours WITHOUT push is far less of what is possible. My Nokia 6630 3G phone with a 750 mAh battery was alive for at least 4 to 5 days althought i used it only for calls and messaging but not for surfing or syncing.

Also, 12 hours with Push is useless. You even cannot use this feature.

Thanks for the links, i will check if the Q-batteries will also fit into the Q9. I think that a 1.250 mAh battery will allready have enough extra power. Althought I hope there will be a 1.500 mAh battery available like Nokia allready ships with the E61/E61i - they are as thin as the current 1.000 mAh battery in the Q9.
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

so then its no different from the existing Q...my battery doesnt last 24 hours...
  5. BleedingGuitar

As we were not blessed here in Europe with the original Q, i can't compare that :)

Do you use push mail?

I just can't understand why Motorola can't add a 1.500 mAh battery like Nokia does for the E61/E61i. Also, the E61 is 100 € cheaper than the Q9 and the successor E61i is still about 50 € cheaper here. So Nokia customers get a much better battery and a bigger display for cheaper price. Well, they also get Symbian, so in the end the Q9 is still a better deal ;-)

But, looking at the global market, it seems clear why Motorola looses market share to their competitors. It was a big mistake that they didn't released the original Q here in Europe (so Nokia got the Business Users with the E61) - and it's a mistake to release the Q9 now with - from the hardware side - fewer power and a higher price.

It's too bad because the Q9 is such a great device.
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

haha..i gues it would be hard to compare then

well..i have a 1640 mah extended battey and have my email pushed every 15 min....i manage to get 10 hrs out of it with email reading, text messaging and light IE usage....

-Sent from my Q
  7. jareti

jareti New Member

I turned off push mail to manually sync and i still only get about 8 hours out of my extended battery. I've been through 2 phones and 2 bluetooth headsets with Verizon because of other issues and still no one can tell me why the battery life is so short. Some folks say do you have this turned on or that, and i say well yeah i want to use what i paid for. IMO this phone is a peice of junk and i will be replacing mine through versizon tomorrow (my 9th trip since this phone), i have had enough.