Warning about Dashwire

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Mobile Auto Repair, Nov 28, 2008.

1. sherri

sherri Active Member

Thanks guys for the "techy" reason! Can I get a half credit for figuring out the problem was caused by the OP's pc install method?? Please??
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

sure, why not
  3. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Well, that wasn't the problem. He just assumed (& I would have too if I just installed it then all of a sudden I have a trojan).
    But I give you 10 points for figuring out where the Add/Remove item came from. I don't have anything in there which after talking to fr4nk1yn makes me wonder why not? Am I worried? Nah---not scared!!! :wink:
    Having fun down there? It's not too bad here, warmer than usual but it's going to snow all next week --if nothing changes w/c it will.
  4. sherri

sherri Active Member

Thanks, Paco! (Hey, with 2 teens and one pre-teen telling me I know NOTHING, I'll take credit for being partially right any day!)
  5. sherri

sherri Active Member

Thanks, Geek! Weather is gorgeous here (72 degrees and sunny). Kids went swimming today while Richard golfed. I got a little sun, but I tend to burn, so I watch.

Tomorrow is Bat Mizvah, and then a football viewing party at friend's house. (HUGE Gators fans here - I don't care one way or the other, but they are obsessed!)
  6. top_gizmo

top_gizmo New Member

Thanks for this thread. I'm a noob and never heard of DW until now. I just signed up...
  7. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Now let me give MY warning about DashWire :)
  8. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Good for you. They are pretty good at addressing any issues anyone has.
    *I synced an "ahem" pix & didn't realize it. So if you have any "ahem" pix's then set your pictures to private* :wink:
  9. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Go!!
    I do want to hear your side. Convince me to ditch it.
  10. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

thanks for popping in Ken!
  11. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

going back a few pages. the ap gets added to your add/remove, so you can unistall it from your pc and also reinstall it at any time. I think it is part of active sync. if you look at the remove programs function in active sync, you will see all the apps you installed through it.
  12. Mobile Auto Repair

Mobile Auto Repair New Member

Thank you, now this makes since, though I hate those "Drive by downloads". I wish people who made trash, the trojans, worms, etc. were caught and out of cyberspace.

I do work hard to make sure that my computer is safe and clean. About 4 1/2 years ago my first laptop got infected with the Sassor worm on startup. It took me 3 hours to clean the machine, and I had Norton Antivirus plus Zonealarm firewall.

I will try Dashwire again BUT through my phone and only from their website direct.

My thanks to everyone for being patient with me, checking their systems, and helping me to understand what-in-the-world-happened-here.
  13. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

An "ahem" pic you say..

My side is simple:
    It's not a "back-up" program.
    Once the info is automatically "backed-up" to their site it's no longer "accessible" to the user. You can look at it and read it. It will restore your contacts and favorites to your phone but the photos, which should IMO be the main focus, are not easily recoverable.

When it morphs into a full blown social networking site, I also hate "social networking sites" incidentally , and lose the "back-up your mobile ""sales pitch" I'll be happy.

It's not a feasible back-up utility. With no way to get the photos off there's no reason to have them automatically uploaded to the site. As you found out.
  14. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

I also agree with the photograph and text conundrum. There should be someway to download them or something, an easy way. Or send them back down.....
  15. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

They have said before that they are working on restoring the photos and texts (as well as the alendar), I imagine that dashwire is probably a small company, so it may take a while
  16. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Yeah-I also would like to be able to sync my pictures back to phone. Not so much my calendar b/c I don't want it anywhere but with me.
    I don't do "social networking" either. I am a private person & an avid privacy advocate. Which is getting harder & harder to do and maintain. Even the US Post Office & utility companies sells your address/info to the highest bidder. <--digressing yet again. :smile:
    Hopefully they will get everything set up with different options for different people w/c is what ppl are waiting for. I think they will, tho.
  17. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I understand they're working on more features, they've hinted as to what those features could be, until we see the ability to restore those files I don't are a reason to use it.

And it's so tenacious about sending everything to the server.
  18. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

agreed, I also think that sprite may have gotten some of their problems with 6.1 ironed out in their latest version
  19. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Wait.... what?
    ;-)
  20. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

(; Somebody got it.