Warning about Dashwire

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Mobile Auto Repair, Nov 28, 2008.

1. sherri

sherri Active Member

YOU downloaded it to the pc! You either used the Dashwire site or another, but YOU installed it to the pc and moved it to phone (via usb cable...)

If you installed it directly to your phone (from the phone's web browser), nothing would have been on your pc....Dashwire NEVER INSTALLS TO PC UNLESS YOU INSTALL IT. You already said you did the install this way. I just went to the hotels computer. Entered http://www.dashwire.com

A screen opens telling you about Dashwire. There is also a button to "log in". I did (Did not save password/deleted sites visited/cookies/cache/etc...)

My "dashboard" was there. Nothing was installed to pc...I know you feel this is a security problem, or a trojan/virus/etc... but I think you are looking at the executable files you used to get Dashwire on the phone (via the pc...)
  2. nfaze

nfaze New Member

You downloaded the PC installation - which means you went to the Dashwire website on your PC, downloaded the installation, which is an "installer" that copies the cab file to your phone and executes it, nothing more than that. The antivirus software you used is picking up a false positive, probably because the program automatically executes the cab file.
  3. sherri

sherri Active Member

Isn't that what I've been saying (but not as succinctly)?
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

late jumper... used DW for a long time, beta tested it.. never has it installed anything on my pc.

potQ9c
  5. nfaze

nfaze New Member

Pretty much. :laugh2:
  6. sherri

sherri Active Member

Well, howdy, stranger! Please tell me I'm right on this one!
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you are right..

potQ9c
  8. sherri

sherri Active Member

Made my day!
  9. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

like with any software, it is use at your own risk, if you want to think its a trogan, do your clean, unistall it and dont use it. No biggie, Question is...nevermind
    do you use skyfire.
    any program that exchange PIM can be considered a trogan..right.
  10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

say again? =)
  11. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Oh-I would LOVE to get into your PC & see what is going on.
    But my thoughts are:
    1. False positive because the software has absolutely NO idea what Dashwire is & one in the temp. files is a "cookie" & the other one is a "replication"---plz read #6
    2. Like DashWire rep said, if you didn't get a signed cab file from THEIR site it's hard telling what else someone packed in the cab YOU downloaded.
    3. IF it was an active, established Trojan believe me Norton would have caught it in a flash when it started "behaving" like a Trojan so you probably just "got it" & caught it in time before it did anything.
    4. The trojan you did get is a very common one & you are probably a victim of a "drive by" download which WOT (Web On Trust) & Comodo is trying so hard to stop.
    5. The Trogan Dropper Gen. is just a "set up" program that signals other trojans and virus's that you are "infected" and the "door" is open to download more "sh!t/crap" in your PC.
    6. It does & will take over any "name" it can find to fool you into thinking it's a different program than it is & this time it was "Dashwire" cookie. This time it picked a program you knew shouldn't be there & you found it.

Is Norton your firewall too? If it is then the security settings are not set up right within the software. If you don't have a firewall I suggest Comodo Firewall w/c is free & has kicked the crap out of Norton and McAfee in security.
    I"ve moved files from PC to phone & vice versa & all my "software's" have never detected a trojan from the Dashwire I installed.
    Whatever the case I do wish you luck & glad you did find it & I applaud you for checking your PC & not becoming a "bot" to spread more "crap" around the internet. Thank you.
    Good Luck & hope you had a nice Thankgiving
  12. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

So that's one part of the "mystery". He installed through the computer which put it in the add/remove.

Through the infinite wisdom of XP it was somehow thought that it should be "loaded" on boot through prefectch. Hence the .pf extension. Also hence the "trojan". Some AV and anti-spyware are pretty bad at thinking prefecth files are trojans.

If it's using heuristics it's a false positive.

AS I said don't be so fast to blame this for THIS. There's plenty to blame them for yet :) Didn't I say I wasn't a fan?
  13. Geekster

Geekster New Member

I've got security crap on big PC out of the wazoo.
    I am going to do a download, install from that PC from THEIR site & see what happens.
    If it was a Trojan "from them" then why isn't anybody else complaining from thousands of call phones & PC installs?
    I think it's a drive by download & the trojan replicated itself & yes even in add/remove.
    I'm going to check this out...
    My curiosity is PEAKED big time now!!!! :laugh2:
    *Plus the brain cells that are telling me I'm being stupid are asleep*
    Catch you guys later
  14. I8qbert

I8qbert Active Member

I'm glad that you figured it out...as some one here says "guess you are just lucky". any time anything is downloaded from the net and installed you run the risk of infection. luckily no harm came to your system.
  15. Geekster

Geekster New Member

I downloaded DashwireInstall.exe from 3 different sites that I trust: MajorGeeks, ZDNet, SoftPedia & installed all 3 seperately (which probably made my phone say "WTF is she doing now?" with NO problems & 4 cab files from other sites which I just scanned with AVG, Norton, Panda with zero problems & b/c I wanted a PC "exe" for test purposes & not "cabs".
    The reason it's in Add/Remove when you use the "exe" PC install is because it creates a folder under C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync along with other programs you have installed via the PC. (Which I never knew that until now so then I'm going "WTF?" Why does Active Sync have to keep track of what you installed? So I investigated that AND between phone & PC install the programs have to write a "temp" file which many programs happen to write the files there. I don't know why. I also don't know why this particular program creates an Add/Remove link in Control Panel unless this is created so you can remove the temporary install files easily without digging into your PC program files.
    My un-official, un-asked for, volunteered b/c I'm nosy field test.:wink:
    Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend.
  16. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

That's common behavior.
    All of the programs that have PC installers also have a add/remove entry.
  17. Geekster

Geekster New Member

I'm talking program installers for the phone. Of all the programs I have installed via PC to phone, this is the only one in Add/Remove that didn't have a desktop program to go with it. I've had them install in my start menu on the PC (w/c irks me-how in the heck am I going to use the PHONE program on my PC?--digressing again).
    Anyway--that's how it ended up in Add/Remove. I still don't know why but maybe someone from DashWire can tell us what's going on there.
    Going to go around the rest of forum & see what's cooking.
    Me done here...
    Chaos, confusion --my job here is done. :wink:
  18. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Yes. That's what I mean.

For example:
    • Microsoft Office Mobile
    • SPB Mobile Shell
    • Worms for Pocket PC
    • Zuma for Pocket PC

Non of those have PC apps and they all show in the Add/Remove list.
  19. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Hmmm? I don't have any programs in Add/Remove that doesn't have a PC program with it. I just checked again. Just DashWire b/c of the "field" test.
    Not complaining but wonder why or why not?
    Beyond me tonight, the pumpkin pie is calling to me & I'm trying so hard to ignore it!!!
    Have a good weekend fr4nk1yn & hope I see you on this weekend, too.
  20. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Hmm.. I think I'll get some with "coo whhip".