Warning about Dashwire

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Mobile Auto Repair, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Mobile Auto Repair

Mobile Auto Repair New Member

That is the problem, I do not know exactly what was downloaded from their site. I did not specifically download anything from their site. I found that in my Program Add/Delete menu that it was there with no other information. The antispyware found two trojans both Dropper/Gen and yes it confirmed that the sender was Dashwire.
  2. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

OK I didn't read the whole thread but I'll jump in at this point anyway.

First anti-spyware apps are like assholes and opinions.
    There's also good ones and bad ones. There have been cases where some programs would install "spyware" on the computer just to find it.
    There are others that would give false positives to promote themselves.

Having more than one "Security" Program can cause conflicts.
    Looking back to see what you have installed I see PacoJr just gave similar advice.

Since you don't know where it came from I would be so fast to blame Dashwire.
    Many people have been using it and they have not been infected.
  3. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Maybe it's a cookie so you don't have to log in every time?
  4. Mobile Auto Repair

That being the case how would the antispyware software know that I had been to the Dashwire site? How would it know that something from Dashwire was on my machine? Why would it not pick some type of true trash that is in cyberspace to use as "the problem"?

I grant you most people are not finding a problem on their machines which I am glad to hear, but there are inconsiderate people out there whom will infiltrate a system and cause them and others problems, that may be what happened here with me, I don't know.
  5. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

may be from an ad or banner from there site. you get them from any site.
  6. Mobile Auto Repair

But why in the program add/delete menu. No other cookies do that.
  7. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Meh just throwing it out there.
  8. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Can you attach a logfile from the program here?
    How did the program tied the trojan to Dashwire?

I'm NOT a fan of Dashwire at all, I thought I mentioned that /=, if they did I'd be the first to shout about it, but I doubt it.
    I just went to the site on my PC and nothing infected me.

Attach the logfile and/or screen shots of the program and it in the add/remove list.

I'll assume at this point the other program cleaned the infection(?).
    If not run Spybot and/or AdAware and see if they pick it up.
  9. Mobile Auto Repair

C:\Window\Prefetch\DASHWIREINSTALL%202.01[1].EXE-73154F6D.pf

That's one of the two listed items it found concerning the Trojan.

I have already deleted the program from the menu so it is not there.

The other path is way longer.

Yes the infection is cleaned. I am glad as far as I know that nothing was tampered with from the Trojans.

On my machine I use Norton, CCleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, Super Antispyware (new), & Smart Defrag. Norton and Sypbot run all the time and the others when I request.
  10. sherri

sherri Active Member

I know NOTHING about this, but what you posted looks like the .exe to get Dashwire on the phone. Did you install DW to the phone from the pc, or directly on the phone using the .cab? I did it directly from .cab, and I don't have what you posted...
  11. Mobile Auto Repair

Here is the screen shots of the log.

Attached Files:

12. Mobile Auto Repair

Did download it to my phone through the computer.
  13. sherri

sherri Active Member

I think we may have figured this out!

Scott! RB! Any one besides me!....Can this be it???Huh?
  14. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I think I'm going to have to agree with sherri here. As was said before there are anti-spyware apps that will flag anything they don't "understand" as spyware. If I remember right superantispyware may be one of those. I've been using spybot S&D for a few years now and it hasn't done me wrong yet. If S&D doesn't jump at it usually it isn't worth worrying about.
  15. sherri

sherri Active Member

Sorry, Paco! Had to read and re-read your reply. Kind of got hung up at "had to agree with sherri"...3 kids...not used to having anyone agree with me! ;-)

Actually, I think this may be right. Most of you guys very tech savy, and most of you need the phone and pc for actual "work". I didn't think you would install a program without checking it out thoroughly first.
  16. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

I have been using Dashwire since it was announced by one of it's developers on here.

Dashwire has never "installed" anything to my Desktop PC. There is no desktop component to Dashwire...everything is handled via their online dashboard at www.dashwire.com

I will repeat.. Dashwire has *never* installed anything to my PC. It has *never* triggered my Avast! Antivirus or Comodo Firewall. It has *never* maliciously altered or put anything on my smartphone that I didn't want it to.

Dashwire is an excellent program, and I use it everyday.

I think I can speak for the developers of Dashwire when I would ask you to kindly do your research and have a clue of what you're talking about before spreading lies to scare people away from one of the best free windows mobile backup solutions out there right now.
  17. Mobile Auto Repair

I have seen many programs that did have conflicts, when the program was not sure it would ALWAYS asked what I wanted it to do, not the case here. This one flagged with a specific problem= meaning that it says these are the Dropper/Gen Trojans.

Something still does not make since here.
  18. sherri

sherri Active Member

What ^^(darkdomino)^he said!

Darkdomino, I agree with you 100%.

I think that because the OP installed Dashwire to his phone via his pc, the .exe is what is showing on his pc...if you look at what he posted, it shows Dashwire exeinstall....Can he be mistaking this for a trojan? If he installed it this way, he downloaded it to pc, unzipped it and transferred it to phone. Then it would still be on his pc under "add/remove programs"...
  19. dashwire

dashwire New Member

Scott gave me a heads up about this thread, so I wanted to make sure I jumped on and shared my thoughts.

As many people have called out, Dashwire does not install anything to your computer, as we're a web-based solution. I called up our CTO a minute ago, and he confirmed that there's nothing going on behind the scenes that could have possibly come from us.

I have to look more closely at the thread, but it seems as though you downloaded our Dashwire Mobile exe to your computer, meaning you got our app from one of the software download sites (potential red flag). Most users simply install the signed cab file that we provide from our site. I'm not saying this is the issue, but it's the only conceivable candidate for what you're seeing.

All of that said, I have to agree with the spyware comments a lot of people provided. If you send over the specific details that you're seeing (support@), I'll have our CTO take a look at it over the weekend.

Finally, I've seen some comments where people seem to think that this kind of thing might make sense given that we're a free solution. I want to assure all of you that we do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with your personal information nor do we plan on doing so. Our focus since launch has been supporting additional mobile platforms, evolving our feature sets, and preparing for a big launch planned for early 09. Monetization is coming down the road in the next 3-4 months, though it will not require users to pay to access to the Dashwire solution, as the larger opportunity in our minds lies in digital content, solution discovery, and premium services. Maintaining free access is going to be key to driving viral discovery of our solution, and quite honestly it's also a competitive necessity given how this space will be evolving over the next 1-2 years.

Our monetization plans will become clear to all of you early next year, at which point you'll see why we provide a free solution and why it would be the absolute worst decision we could possibly make to violate our users' trust.

Thanks to everybody that shared their thoughts on this thread and had our back. Apologies as well for having disappeared over the past couple of weeks. We had some additional people in the office that helped out with our community engagement over the summer, and now that they're gone, it's back to being just me driving our community outreach, marketing, and partnerships. The latter has kept me pretty slammed (with some exciting stuff on the way), so that's why I've sucked ass at jumping on the forums.

Ken
  20. Mobile Auto Repair

Look at the screenshots I loaded in post #31, they do not LIE, they speak for themselves.

Something from Dashwire was in my Programs Add/Delete Menu which I uninstalled.

If the app as everyone say is supposed to NOT download to the PC ONLY the phone, then what was downloaded?

How do you explain that?